Repost: A Simple eLinker Query

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
Forum Member
I use Media eLinker v2.1 to transfer recordings from my Hummy to the PC. Occasionally it will abort a transfer with a (-8) error code, deleting the part-transferred file.

a) What does the (-8) error indicate?

b) Can I assume that the files which are transferred have been checked to ensure that no errors have been introduced by the eLinker transmission?

b) [Alternate formulation!] Has anyone copied a recording multiple times using eLinker and found that the copies are not identical?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I am not an expert at this but reports on here suggest that elinker is NOT a reliable way of transferring

there is little or no error checking and transfers can have errors introduced - especially if the PC is busy or the USB cable is too long or low quality

Those who used elinker regularly experimented with cables and Usb ports to find combinations that worked, and there is a version of elinker on here which checks the blocks transferred and re-transfers if errors are found

BUT THE BEST METHOD can be found under "9200T Hard Drive Analysis"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    eddieorz wrote:
    I am not an expert at this but reports on here suggest that elinker is NOT a reliable way of transferring

there is little or no error checking and transfers can have errors introduced - especially if the PC is busy or the USB cable is too long or low quality

Thanks, this is an example of the rumours which I'd like to confirm one way or the other. You see, I believe that eLinker is capable of error-checking, but not error-correction. My theory is that when it detects an error it fails with the (-8) code, deleting the partially-copied file on the PC. Consequently, a file which is fully transferred will presumably be free of errors introduced in the copy process. (Of course it will still contain any errors in the file as received and stored by the Humax.) Error detection must be possible, because it's done by the alternative to eLinker -- this 'corrects' the error by repeating the whole file
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lamprhey wrote:
    Thanks, this is an example of the rumours which I'd like to confirm one way or the other. You see, I believe that eLinker is capable of error-checking, but not error-correction. My theory is that when it detects an error it fails with the (-8) code, deleting the partially-copied file on the PC. Consequently, a file which is fully transferred will presumably be free of errors introduced in the copy process. (Of course it will still contain any errors in the file as received and stored by the Humax.) Error detection must be possible, because it's done by the alternative to eLinker -- this 'corrects' the error by repeating the whole file

As I understand it, the alternative to e-linker records the packet as corrupt, then goes through the whole transfer process of the complete file until it gets a packet the is ok. It does not just repeat the corrupt packe, but cycles through the whole file. This can be a long process, I would assume; the direct connection to the HDD is the only serious way to transfer files IMHO.