No ball games allowed

13»

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luxxy wrote: »
    I've just had to tell a boy to stop kicking a ball against my wall and windows. I felt a bit mean, but I'm sure he won't be coughing up if he smashes my windows.

Why should you feel mean. If, as you say he breaks a window, it won't be him or his parents that pay for the damage it will be you. You have every right to say something, it is after all your home and why shouldn't you be able to live in peace.
  • spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luxxy wrote: »
    I've just had to tell a boy to stop kicking a ball against my wall and windows. I felt a bit mean, but I'm sure he won't be coughing up if he smashes my windows.

That's fair enough, I don't think anyone should put up with that. Even years ago we knew only to use the walls when people were at work. I am talking end houses that had no windows.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And we wonder why some kids are hanging around on street corners up to no good. Maybe one of the reasons is they have nothing else to do and no where else to go.

Do a few kids being outdoors playing ball instead of in front of the TV or on the corner harassing other people really cause that much of a disturbance ?
  • LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind kids playing football where I live, but kicking their ball against my wall/windows is just ignorant and out of order - they knew I was in because the window was open. I would never have done that as a child. We have a local park just a five minute walk away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    When these kids have to go out of their way to come and play football outside mine and my neighbours houses it makes it my business and if they are making a nuisance of themselves then I'll make it my business to do something about it.

Nicely evaded. I asked if you always played in your own street as a kid, i know i didnt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sean97 wrote: »
    Nicely evaded. I asked if you always played in your own street as a kid, i know i didnt.

No, I didn't evade answering your question I chose not to answer it for personal reasons, perhaps I should have said that I would rather not answer the question. It would have saved you coming back to make a point out of it.

And I still stand by all I said in my previous posts. I'm entitled to live in peace. If kids play football outside my home and make a nuisance of themselves then I have every right to ask them to move on and if they don't then I make a complaint to their parents and the housing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,973
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    And we wonder why some kids are hanging around on street corners up to no good. Maybe one of the reasons is they have nothing else to do and no where else to go.

Do a few kids being outdoors playing ball instead of in front of the TV or on the corner harassing other people really cause that much of a disturbance ?

according to a few Victor Meldrews here they do.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems like a few kids in Peterborough will be sh*t out of luck if the local residents have the same attitude towards children as some people in this thread.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/6629655.stm

The most expensive state school in the UK will not have an outdoor space for students when it opens in September.

Alan McMurdo, head of Peterborough's £46.4m Thomas Deacon Academy, said: "This is a massive investment of public money and I think what the public want is maximum learning.

"They recognise that youngsters can play in their own time, play in their local communities.

Or seemingly not.

Don't you just love these Acadamies , when will the people who support them wake up and realise that the reason for them coming into being has sod all to do with the benefit of the children and everything to do with combining two or three schools together, moving them from old sites onto a new one that has been bought relatively cheaply somewhere and then selling at a very handsome profit the land and grounds they formerly occupied. Tony Blairs legacy, more like another government cash grab, the same reason they wanted to close Police Stations sell them off and move them into Supermarkets, money money money.

But to build a school without playgrounds or without playing fields etc , so what about football, cricket , etc ? will they have none. You can just imagine that area come 3.30 , they will be like caged animals being released, and who will be blamed, the kids of course and their parents.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    The kids around here insist on playing football in the street, even though there's a large recreational area less than 50 yards away.

I suppose expecting them to use this area instead of a narrow residential area makes me a grumpy old killjoy though. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    No, I didn't evade answering your question I chose not to answer it for personal reasons, perhaps I should have said that I would rather not answer the question. It would have saved you coming back to make a point out of it.

And I still stand by all I said in my previous posts. I'm entitled to live in peace. If kids play football outside my home and make a nuisance of themselves then I have every right to ask them to move on and if they don't then I make a complaint to their parents and the housing.

So you didnt play just in your street. When you played in some other street i bet you were told to "clear off to your own street" Bet you didnt though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,973
    Forum Member
    ~Eyesonme~ wrote: »
    The kids around here insist on playing football in the street, even though there's a large recreational area less than 50 yards away.

I suppose expecting them to use this area instead of a narrow residential area makes me a grumpy old killjoy though. :rolleyes:

I doubt it, unless you do things like confiscate balls etc :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sean97 wrote: »
    So you didnt play just in your street. When you played in some other street i bet you were told to "clear off to your own street" Bet you didnt though!

My my you are trying to make a point out of this.

I wasn't allowed to 'play out' when I was a child.

You now have the answer to your original question, I hope you find that satisfactory.
  • ArbitraryArbitrary Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Jesaya wrote: »

Kids don't have all the rights in this world - I have some too!

Couldn't agree more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    We've just moved to a lovely cul de sac, semi rural location from a terraced street in Leeds.

As this summer has been half decent we've been plagued by around 5 kids playing football/kerby right outside our house. There's no grassed area as such, they just play outside our house and not their own.

The kids range from around 8 - 16. Three are girls and a couple are lads. Last night it was pitch black and they were still banging the ball about at 9.45pm

If anyone thinks it's acceptable for kids aged 8 - 12 to still be out at that time in the dark then they need their heads testing. I work from home and the banging of the ball and constant shouting DOES ruin my concentration. We also have some lovely shrubs planted by the builder and a bed that I planted. I came out this morning to find half the flowers de-headed.

I'm not an old scrooge.....I'm 36 and yes I was a kid once. Some big differences though.....I wouldn't have been out that late at that age, If my mother heard me making noise or playing ball outside someone elses house she'd have knocked my block off!! We went to play in fields or well away from houses. As I write this, they've just turned up again and it's throwing it down!! They're wet through! Another thing I wouldn't have been allowed to do!

If anyone thinks these kids are here due to some romantic notion that they're parents think they should get fresh air and excercise then think again......they're doing it because the parents dont give a toss about them!

Another big problem is social/affordable housing. Laws state now that all new build estates must contain a percentage of social/part shared homes. I will sound really snobbish here but all this does is mean the people who properly own 100% of their homes suffer their bad manners!