Options

Dallas: New Series Starts Wednesday 5 September 9 pm

Comments

• Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 5 seems to be run by a bunch of idiots. Why spend money on importing a show, not promoting it enough and then consigning it to a dustbin slot? It should be on prime time viewing.

Having said all that I generally watch on catch up so I can avoid the ads.
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    And exactly same time as old Dallas on CBS Drama :mad:

Channel 5 have done nothing to promote the series they only have themselves to blame.

I wasn't aware it was back till reading it here on DS! Luckily, I was able to catch it on the 5* repeat on Sunday.
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C5 have ballsed up. People are going to miss jrs funeral its on so late.

If they dont have any patience with it then they should have let some other channel do it justice.

Short term idiots.

But surely everyone has some sort of recording device?
  • Options
    foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GUTTED!!
    But I will still be watching!!!
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Many people do not have any form of recording device. They just have freeview in their tvs.

This is typical C5 though. What a stupid move this is.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Not everyone does. Some people watch very little television.

Catchup services make buying blank media obsolete.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Well I'm really enjoying the series. I hope it continues when we lose our dear JR!
    I don't care what time it's on - I record it anyway, and watch it in my own time!
    It would be a shame if it was cancelled after just two series :mad:
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Dallas should be on a Wednesday at 8pm like it was in the BBC1 days
    I'm sure way back when, it started out on BBC2, then moved to Saturday nights; I remember, I think, Little & Large were on before, and it always ended with Eddie saying, "over to you JR".
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11pm slot? Jesus. That's one sure-fire way to kill it.

Dallas is one of the few shows I like to watch as it airs, but I doubt I'll manage it every week now. Thank god for Sky+.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I will be in bed sleeping by 11, and i dont have a recording device, what about a repeat later on in the week?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So looks like C5 will be cancelling it soon, once they shift shows like this to late at night then its often an early grave. for the show. Surely they cant judge ratings on just 2 episodes.

Does anyone know how many episodes in S2.
  • Options
    Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's 15
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,460
    Forum Member
    Very disappointed with this news, after two episodes?

Channel 5 shouldn't have moved its slot from Wednesday to Tuesday, and it started to soon into the new year with not enough promotion compared to the first series. This might sound a little over the top but IMO this is a real kick in the teeth to the memory of Larry Hagman, as this season will feature his exit from the series.

Dallas still had the potential to run a while longer than this series, but it looks like its cards could be up which in reality should have only been after the second season, after JR's exit.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SoapWorld wrote: »
    Very disappointed with this news, after two episodes?

Channel 5 shouldn't have moved its slot from Wednesday to Tuesday, and it started to soon into the new year with not enough promotion compared to the first series. This might sound a little over the top but IMO this is a real kick in the teeth to the memory of Larry Hagman, as this season will feature his exit from the series.

Dallas still had the potential to run a while longer than this series, but it looks like its cards could be up which in reality should have only been after the second season, after JR's exit.

To be fair to C5 on this occassion they had to show it on Tuesday night and now as this is when America is showing it (Monday night there) if they had left it the internet would have spoiled the show with American viewers giving the storylines away as it is the killer of JR will be known before UK broadcast unless it is simulcast like Lost was.
  • Options
    rammie96rammie96 Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    A simalcast would mean showing it at about 3am - which is coincidentally the time at which C5 will be airing it at by that point in the season anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many people do not have any form of recording device. They just have freeview in their tvs.

This is typical C5 though. What a stupid move this is.

So are you saying many people have no way of recording off the TV :confused:, I doubt that, I would guess its a tiny minority who have no means of recording.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So are you saying many people have no way of recording off the TV :confused:, I doubt that, I would guess its a tiny minority who have no means of recording.

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying.

I can count at least 5 or 6 people that I know personally that have no recording device. They just have a TV with built in freeview. Some of them don't even have the internet.

Some on this very thread have said they have no devices to record it.
  • Options
    tweenietweenie Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not everyone does. Some people watch very little television.

Catchup services make buying blank media obsolete.

Many people don't have the internet at home, particularly the elderly which may be a large part of the audience watching this as they remember it from first time round.
    JulieGriff wrote: »
    I will be in bed sleeping by 11, and i dont have a recording device, what about a repeat later on in the week?

Currently scheduled as Sun 17 Feb 10pm 5* and Sun 17 Feb 11pm Fiver +1

who knows whether that will continue , they could have at least put the repeat at a better time.

I can count at least 5 or 6 people that I know personally that have no recording device. They just have a TV with built in freeview. Some of them don't even have the internet.

Agree with Jimmy. Even with a recording device (VCR/PVR) my Mum has never mastered timer recording, just relies on instant recording. I'll have to talk her through setting up series recording.
    As of yesterday my PVR is still showing as recording 9pm although the EPG has updated to 11pm.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    as it is
    the killer of JR
    will be known before UK broadcast unless it is simulcast.
    I hope that is an assumption on your part, because some of us don't have the faintest idea what JR's exit is - and don't want to know until we view it on C5. Have a little consideration for the vast majority on here, please. I've added in the spoiler tags your post was missing. :rolleyes::mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wow, I bet I would struggle to find anyone who cant record by some means, those who dont have sky have at least a VHS video recorder so can record without a problem onto VHS tape but guess there are some that dont have even that. My point was I think overall most people can record, cant believe that many people with a TV that dont have a VHS recorder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tweenie wrote: »
    Agree with Jimmy. Even with a recording device (VCR/PVR) my Mum has never mastered timer recording, just relies on instant recording. I'll have to talk her through setting up series recording.
    As of yesterday my PVR is still showing as recording 9pm although the EPG has updated to 11pm.

So its not the case of people dont have the ability to record but dont know how to operate the equipment, thats a totally different arguement. As I posted above I bet almost everyone has at leaast a VHS video recorder.
  • Options
    bel110bel110 Posts: 14,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, I bet I would struggle to find anyone who cant record by some means, those who dont have sky have at least a VHS video recorder so can record without a problem onto VHS tape but guess there are some that dont have even that. My point was I think overall most people can record, cant believe that many people with a TV that dont have a VHS recorder.

It's not just recording problems though, I live in Spain where we now can't receive channel 5 on Sky, so my only option is to watch Dallas live on an internet site, which here would now mean staying up till 12 which is impossible as I have 3 small children! I can't record on this site and I can't watch it on 5 Demand as it won't play in Spain so I'll have to find another site to download it from which is a faff :(

Any solutions gratefully received!!
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tweenie wrote: »
    Many people don't have the internet at home, particularly the elderly which may be a large part of the audience watching this as they remember it from first time round..
    I beg your very pardon, I remember it from first time round and I don't particularly consider myself elderly just yet, thank you so much. :p

After my VCR died for the final time I have On demand and internet at home so don't need any recording device at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    bel110 wrote: »
    It's not just recording problems though, I live in Spain where we now can't receive channel 5 on Sky, so my only option is to watch Dallas live on an internet site, which here would now mean staying up till 12 which is impossible as I have 3 small children! I can't record on this site and I can't watch it on 5 Demand as it won't play in Spain so I'll have to find another site to download it from which is a faff :(

Any solutions gratefully received!!

You don't have to stay up to watch online via other sites other than Channel 5. There are many sites that also stream TV shows at whichever time you choose to stream, and then there's the other option the big T word that is banned on here LOL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

VHS recorders are so obsolete these days. I know a few that still have them, but recording with them is a waste of time since the analogue system shut down.

If anyone switches the (freeview) channel whilst the VCR is recording it will record the wrong channel (whet ever it's switched to) There are no freeview VCR machines as far as I know.

A lot of people hardly watch TV, but do switch on for certain shows and Dallas is one of them. As irregular viewers, they have the minimum kit.