Options

The most baffling film casting.

treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,659
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For me, without a doubt it has to be the film '10'.

When I heard about it I couldn't believe that the Dudley Moore that they were talking about as being the romantic lead in a big Holywood movie with none other than Bo Derek (who we'd never heard of but was extremely hot) was the same Dudley Moore that had been part of the Peter Cook and Dudley Moore duo.

And to top it all his co star would be Maria from 'The Sound of Music'.

Surely this movie would be a disaster?

But when I saw it, surprisingly, it all made sense. The producer had clearly seen something that I'd never noticed.

Do you have a movie that you'd written off due to the cast but were then pleasantly surprised by?

Comments

• Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Daniel Craig as James Bond. I just couldn't see him in the role and thought he'd be a better villain but I was wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    John Wayne as Genghis Khan in The Conqueror
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ralph Fiennes as a massive bodybuilder in Red dragon
  • Options
    AerrowAerrow Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Wasn't 60-year old Mickey Rourke going to play gay Welsh rugby player Gareth Thomas in a biopic at some point? I admit that Genghis Wayne takes the biscuit, but something about that combination didn't quit compute.
  • Options
    nightporternightporter Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Josh Harnett in Blow dry(2001) His British accent was terrible.:o
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Friends' negative reactions to the casting of Michael Keaton as Batman come to mind. At the time, he was best/largely known as a comedy film actor. They ended up loving his performance. History repeated itself with the casting of Heath Ledger as the Joker.

I was hugely sceptical when I heard Brad Pitt would be appearing in Guy Ritchie's 'Snatch' as an Irish traveller / bare-knuckle fighter, even though I was aware of Twelve Monkey and the like. In the end I didn't like the film much, but Pitt gave a performance that pretty much had me eating a pie of my earlier scepticism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey Rourke as a japanese man in breakfast at tiffany's. Complete with yellow face paint and squinted eyes
  • Options
    trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor

lets wait and see ,,,,,,,,

he wouldn't have been my first choice ,,,,,,, i would have given it to mark strong ,,,,,,, but hey who knows ? jesse may surprise us all.

same with batfleck ,,,, he's a great actor , but the thugs in batman need to feel intimidated , and as yet i haven't seen ben do anything where he's believably intimidating , ,, think about it , if he was shouting at you , youd just laugh lol ,,im sure he will nail bruce wayne , but batman ?,,, again who knows , he may surprise us ,,,,,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mickey Rourke as a japanese man in breakfast at tiffany's. Complete with yellow face paint and squinted eyes

:D That was Mickey Rooney
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D That was Mickey Rooney

Whoops, i did know that, just made a mistake. *blush*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whoops, i did know that, just made a mistake. *blush*

Mickey Rourke is a good actor but not that good where he could play a small Japanese man. :D
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Friends' negative reactions to the casting of Michael Keaton as Batman come to mind. At the time, he was best/largely known as a comedy film actor. They ended up loving his performance. History repeated itself with the casting of Heath Ledger as the Joker.

Same could be said about Anne Hathaway as Catwoman too. I thought that was an awful casting decision when I first heard about it, but it was actually one of my favourite performances in TDKR.
  • Options
    Wise BadgerWise Badger Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vince Vaughan is Psycho remake

Why? Was Jim Carey busy?
  • Options
    MrWoodySirMrWoodySir Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher. It was basically Tom Cruise's Ethan Hunt in a slighly different role.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one that I found strange at the time was that the Australian comedian from the Foster's ads was to play a tough guy in the starring role in a big Hollywood movie called Crocodile Dundee.
  • Options
    DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Year of Living Dangerously always comes to mind. This was the one with Mel Gibson and Signorney Weaver in the lead roles and supporting them was Linda Hunt playing an Asian man who is a dwarf. Apparently the director (Peter Weir) couldn't find a suitable Asian actor so he went for character actor Linda Hunt instead, even though she is of course none of these things. And so good was her performance as Billy she ended up winning an Oscar for it!
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin Costner as Robin Hood, then again Russell Crowe.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Gambon as Dumbledore - portrayed him as a short-tempered grumpy misery guts.

Jason Molina as Conan
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like the idea of Jennifer Lawrence in Hunger Games, but my god, I was so wrong. She is amazing.
  • Options
    quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood in Paint You Wagon

Sean Connery as a Spanish/Egyptian and Christopher Lambert as a Scotsman In Highlander :D
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Tom Cruise as Lestat in Interview with the Vampire.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood in Paint You Wagon

Sean Connery as a Spanish/Egyptian and Christopher Lambert as a Scotsman In Highlander :D

To think Marvin turned down the lead in The Wild Bunch for that! Mind you, William Holden was incredible in the role.

Sean Connery as a Russian in The Hunt for Red October, an Arab in The Wind and the Lion an Irishman in The Untouchables - all done with a Scottish accent :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    trayhop123 wrote: »
    lets wait and see ,,,,,,,,

he wouldn't have been my first choice ,,,,,,, i would have given it to mark strong ,,,,,,, but hey who knows ? jesse may surprise us all.

same with batfleck ,,,, he's a great actor , but the thugs in batman need to feel intimidated , and as yet i haven't seen ben do anything where he's believably intimidating , ,, think about it , if he was shouting at you , youd just laugh lol ,,im sure he will nail bruce wayne , but batman ?,,, again who knows , he may surprise us ,,,,,

I've liked Jesse Eisenberg in everything I've seen him in so far, it will be interesting to see how he does as Luthor.

There's a great quiz on Sporcle, reactions to Ben Affleck being cast as Batman