Robin Williams Has Died (Merged)

Comments

• GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    'Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie, a nanny, a president, a professor, a bangarang Peter Pan and everything in between. But he was one of a kind. He arrived in our lives as an alien - but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit.' - President Obama
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Robin Williams was one of, if not the, favourite actor of mine. I am totally guttered by this death. Jumanji, Aladdin, Mrs Doubtfire, Good Will Hunting, Good Morning Vietnam. Too many great roles to mention.

And as someone who's experience depression first hand as my mother has it is totally gutting to see this vile illness has claimed another victim.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They`ve been playing the clip from one of his movies where he says direct to camera:

"Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem."

Chilling.
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such horribly sad news.

RIP Robin.
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm shocked and saddened at this news.:( I love Robin Williams and first encountered him as a child when he starred in Mork and Mindy.
    A great actor and very funny man who has delivered some brilliant films over the years....he will be sorely missed by all. Depression is an awful illness and it just goes to show you, you never know if someone is suffering on the inside :(

Nanu nanu Robin....sleep tight :( xx
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gobsmacked by this. Absolutely couldn't believe it when I saw this on the BBC's news site just now. Flaming heck! I thought Robin Williams was one of those film stars that would be around until his time naturally came.
  • Trevor_C7Trevor_C7 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Total shock. A great actor. I hadn't found him funny on stage for a while but his acting was always superb. So versatile.

It's so sad that his demons took him.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like everyone else, I'm shocked at the news. He will be missed. RiP.
  • DingbattsDingbatts Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This news has saddened me. Robin was unique. It actually made me cry.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason didn't catch the news first thing and have just seen this and am completely stunned. Dreadfully tragic. Absolutely adored the man, his madcap and manic humour, his impersonations and voices - I loved that he "got" British humour too. Only the other night, was looking up old you tube clips of him on various chat shows. I'll miss him. RIP to his wife and family. :(:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    It's such a shame that someone as talented as Robin Williams could see the joy he gave to other people in life, but it wasn't enough. The Birdcage will forever be the film I'll howl with laughter at, no matter how many times I've seen it. RIP legend.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'You never know another man's burden until he puts it down and you feel the ground shake'

-Robin Wiiliams
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexei Sayle on the BBC news channel soon. He gave a nice tribute to Williams this morning on Today on R4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    The exec who authorised that cancellation must be feeling racked with guilt this morning.

Silly thing to say. I'm sure no one knew the full extent of William's issues, the exec may feel very upset as we all do, but not guilty, it wasn't his fault.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dbob wrote: »
    Silly thing to say. I'm sure no one knew the full extent of William's issues, the exec may feel very upset as we all do, but not guilty, it wasn't his fault.

How tiresome. See my earlier comments.
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    I loved Robin Williams as a child. I forgot how many times back in the day we and my friends watched Good Morning Vietnam.

Really sad news.
  • violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gutted feel very sad. RIP
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Robin.

Such a sad loss but it has opened up a good discussion on depression and suicide which will hopefully help others in the same situation.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such sad news.

Depression is such a terrible thing.

Always remember the story when he went to visit Christopher Reeve after his accident, he turned up as a Russian doctor and wanted to do a bottom examination on him. Christopher Reeve said it was the first time he had laughed since his accident and then knew he would be ok.
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    How tiresome. See my earlier comments.

Moving away from the keyboard now would leave anyone to express their thoughts about Robin Williams without constantly reading your comments.
  • General ZodGeneral Zod Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    I hate to be morbid, but what do they mean by asphyxia? Was it a garage, car, hosepipe job or just hanging?
  • violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bicentennial Man movie trailer (1999): http://youtu.be/z5YMEwX2-88

He was in so many great movies.
  • Free RadicalFree Radical Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Robin was my favourite actor. Dead Poets Society is my favourite film.

This is so sad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    Such sad news.

Depression is such a terrible thing.

Always remember the story when he went to visit Christopher Reeve after his accident, he turned up as a Russian doctor and wanted to do a bottom examination on him. Christopher Reeve said it was the first time he had laughed since his accident and then knew he would be ok.

That's what I remember. They must've been great buddies.

And then when RW won his Oscar in his speech he dedicated it to CR and said that he was still missing him :cry:

Hope you are at peace now. Sleep well.

Nanu Nanu X
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sad. I grew up watching him:( i wish a tv channel would pick up the crazy ones in tribute to him.