[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    NOOOOOOO

She's the best companion since Rose Tyler
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that case it would, but the article in question is implying she will leave this christmas, that's why they say 18 months

So how does that fit in with then at te planning stage of writing her exit, with filming only a few weeks away?

If you ask me, there are lines and quotes in that article that simply do not hang together for a Christmas 2014 exit, unless they were taken from a "source" quite a number of months ago (which would enable the Christmas script to be adapted/written to take account of her exit). But why then the delay in publishing it? And where does that leave this quote: "By the time she leaves she will be one of the longest-standing companions ever" 18 months and she still won't be up there with the longest-serving companions ever.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    Its worth remembering that the production team decided to write Martha out after one season, before any of her episodes had even aired. Sometimes they can just tell whether something is working or not.

So if this story is true, I can only assume its because of one of two things:
    1/ Clara did not jell with the new Doctor in the way the team hoped
    2/ The 'impossible girl' story weakened Clara as a believable character and they've not been able to resolve that

If Martha was written out due to not working well with Tennant why bring her back again in Series 4?

From what I recall (and I may be remembering incorrectly) after both Chris and Billie left of their own accord RTD decided to make this the done thing and always end the series with either the Doctor or (more likely) the Companion leaving.

In which case whoever had been cast as the companion in Series 3 would have left at the end of it.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    If Martha was written out due to not working well with Tennant why bring her back again in Series 4? From what I recall (and I may be remembering incorrectly) after both Chris and Billie left of their own accord RTD decided to make this the done thing and always end the series with either the Doctor or (more likely) the Companion leaving. In which case whoever had been cast as the companion in Series 3 would have left at the end of it.

There was a lot of information/leaks prior to season 3 even being aired which stated the finale was being re-written to allow for Freema to leave (which is not how the season was due to end). Much of this was that they had already filmed some scenes that would have left Martha as the companion and those had to be re-shot when the decision was made to have a new companion for season 4.

There were also some staff/cast interviews for Doctor Who Confidential which had to be re-done too, reflecting the (relatively late) decision to leave Martha behind on Earth at the end of season 3.

There were quite a few 'leaks' from the set during the filming of season 3 which indicated things were not working out with Martha - and this was months before it was confirmed she was being replaced as the companion for season 4. Bringing Freema back for some of season 4 was something of a compromise.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Martha as a character but I don't find Freema that good as an actress. Perhaps it's just me (because I know others love her) but I find her rather stilted.

From what I've seen of Jenna is series 8 so far she's superb and a huge proportion of the reviews are saying that she steals the opener. Doesn't seem like she isn't working, more like they're finally giving her stuff that uses her talent!
  • Options
    Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they get a new companion I hope it's longer than 1 or 2 series, What with there only being 12/13 episodes in a series it seems like they don't hang around on the show long enough. Perhaps because I am used to watching mostly American shows that have 16-22 episodes in 1 season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    This does seem more like speculation than fact, but companions rarely stay for more than a couple of years so I wouldnt be surprised if Jenna does leave soon. I hope she stays for season 9 because she's one of my favourite companions of all time, a huge improvement on Amy IMO. No offecne to Karen Gillan, I think she's just as good an actress as Jenna Coleman, I just didn't like the character.
  • Options
    WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I liked Martha as a character but I don't find Freema that good as an actress. Perhaps it's just me (because I know others love her) but I find her rather stilted.

From what I've seen of Jenna is series 8 so far she's superb and a huge proportion of the reviews are saying that she steals the opener. Doesn't seem like she isn't working, more like they're finally giving her stuff that uses her talent!

Not just you - she can't act for toffee.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actors' agents really do have to advertise their clients' availability - I had no choice but to announce they [Karen Gillan & Arthur Darvill] were going to leave.

- Moffat (something to bear in mind)
  • Options
    DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a lot of information/leaks prior to season 3 even being aired which stated the finale was
    being re-written to allow for Freema to leave (which is not how the season was due to end). Much
    of this was that they had already filmed some scenes that would have left Martha as the companion
    and those had to be re-shot when the decision was made to have a new companion for season 4.

There were also some staff/cast interviews for Doctor Who Confidential which had to be re-done too,
    reflecting the (relatively late) decision to leave Martha behind on Earth at the end of season 3.

There were quite a few 'leaks' from the set during the filming of season 3 which indicated things
    were not working out with Martha - and this was months before it was confirmed she was being
    replaced as the companion for season 4. Bringing Freema back for some of season 4
    was something of a compromise.
    You mean series 3 and series 4 surely? Season 3 and season 4 were in 1965-66, and we still had The 1st Doctor
    aboard the TARDIS. Your use of the word season is an Americanism that doesn't apply to shows on British TV.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    You mean series 3 and series 4 surely? Season 3 and season 4 were in 1965-66, and we still had The 1st Doctor
    aboard the TARDIS. Your use of the word season is an Americanism that doesn't apply to shows on British TV.
    If enough people use it, it applies. That's how words work.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Tony Tiger wrote: »

Thank you Tony Tiger. I agree 100% :)
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Besides which, his own pedantry was wrong by his own standards:

aboard the TARDIS.

As pointed out, 'season' is an Americanism that has gained currency in recent years and is a total anachronism to use when describing the 1960s show ('show' is also an Americanism that has now been adopted here). If you want to be a pedant then it is far more 'correct' to refer to the modern show's series' as 'seasons' than it is any of the classic series.

If you're going to hector people then you have to be really careful you're getting things right or you end up looking very foolish...
  • Options
    Steven_PSteven_P Posts: 12,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a lot of information/leaks prior to season 3 even being aired which stated the finale was being re-written to allow for Freema to leave (which is not how the season was due to end). Much of this was that they had already filmed some scenes that would have left Martha as the companion and those had to be re-shot when the decision was made to have a new companion for season 4.

There were also some staff/cast interviews for Doctor Who Confidential which had to be re-done too, reflecting the (relatively late) decision to leave Martha behind on Earth at the end of season 3.

There were quite a few 'leaks' from the set during the filming of season 3 which indicated things were not working out with Martha - and this was months before it was confirmed she was being replaced as the companion for season 4. Bringing Freema back for some of season 4 was something of a compromise.

My personal speculation is that when they knew they had a chance to get Catharine Tate on board for series 4 they realised they needed the companion slot vacated. But just so it didn't look like a criticism of Freema they gave her some episodes of both Series 4 and Torchwood. That's just my speculation though.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rifleman wrote: »
    NOOOOOOO

She's the best companion since Rose Tyler

I think you need to distinguish between the actor and the character. Amy was probably a better companion than Clara with a more interesting story line. However, as real people I much prefer Jenna to Karen. She's lovely and is exactly my kind of girl.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    I don't think she'll leaving. Furthermore, I certainly wouldn't believe The Mirror if they said she would. And if it is true, I would certainly be disappointed that we heard this from that news monstrosity than the BBC themselves.

Jenna is a great actress, and hasn't been able to show us what she can do due to the "Impossible Girl" business and her basic tag-along appearances with the Doctor. Plus, she loves playing Clara. I doubt she's at the stage where she's ready to leave. I'd like to see her depart at the end of Series 9 next year. One and a half series' just isn't enough time. (Maybe in the Doctor's world, but not here!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. That might knock the confidence of some people who were so sure it wasn't true.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish the BBC didn't respond to rumours and tabloids - it only encourages more and more inaccurate speculation.
    I understand why they feel they have to respond, I just wish they didn't have to. Does the Mirror, and now the Indy, speculating and guessing actually achieve anything?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    I wish the BBC didn't respond to rumours and tabloids - it only encourages more and more inaccurate speculation.
    I understand why they feel they have to respond, I just wish they didn't have to. Does the Mirror, and now the Indy, speculating and guessing actually achieve anything?

It achieves an increase in the number of visitors to their website. That increases advertising revenue. It's nothing but click bait.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It achieves an increase in the number of visitors to their website. That increases advertising revenue. It's nothing but click bait.

Yes, of course. I'd forgotten that. Never mind whether the story is true, just look at the number of hits on the site! As always, everything (even the truth, or not...) comes down to money... :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But...you don't even know the story is not true. Their refusal to comment could be seen as a big hint it IS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »

The Indy (just like the Express) is simply regurgitating (and crediting) the Mirror story, whilst adding little or nothing to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But...you don't even know the story is not true. Their refusal to comment could be seen as a big hint it IS.
    Yes, there is that of course.

Whilst at the same time, if the Christmas episode is filming in just over two weeks time, it's rather late in the day to be having conversations about Jenna's exit, and ironing out a plan.

Which leaves three possibilities as I see it:

1) It's a load of baloney.

2) She IS leaving, but not this Christmas

or (and I really don't want this to be the case)

3) She IS leaving Christmas 2014, and her decision to leave with filming imminent has been brought about by "events", either external, or connected with the show.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »

As pointed out, 'season' is an Americanism that has gained currency in recent years and is a total anachronism to use when describing the 1960s show ..

Strange then that I've seen copies of the Radio Times from the 1970's talking about the new Season of Doctor Who.