Downton Abbey Series Five Thread

Comments

• Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cover art for the dvd
    http://www.play.com/stores/basecom/listing/1047029090

Amazon have it at £35,which is £15 more than last years!
  • Options
    LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cover art for the dvd
    http://www.play.com/stores/basecom/listing/1047029090

Amazon have it at £35,which is £15 more than last years!

Oh, that will change. And this year, Amazon has a vested interest in viewers watching on television as well buying the DVD afterwards.

The publicity juggernaut is really getting into gear. The programme information (PI) for episode one will be publicly available tomorrow - doesn't say anything, episode 2 PI will be of more interest. Then there's the press pack and the start of the launch interviews ahead of next Tuesday's TV guides and the episode- and character-specific previews. :)
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I don't think it will reach 1929 as S6 will probably be around 1925/6 plus the actors contracts will run out after S6 (assuming those who stayed on after S3 optioned for a further 3 years) and I suspect (no personal evidence) that some of the younger actors certainly are looking to move on, one certainly with Hollywood calling.

Series 2 covered 4 years didn't it? So they could easily stretch things out.

There surely has to be some cause for an ending. Perhaps the servants join the general strike in 1926 and Robert sacks them all. Surely you need some basis for closure - pray it's not Mary's wedding to whoever?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Series 2 covered 4 years didn't it? So they could easily stretch things out.

There surely has to be some cause for an ending. Perhaps the servants join the general strike in 1926 and Robert sacks them all. Surely you need some basis for closure - pray it's not Mary's wedding to whoever?

No, series 2 covered July 1916 to April 1919.

Downton will not reach 1929, as has been stated many times. "Closure" - an unknown term in 1926 - will be the final scene as envisaged by the creators. No need for a forced, post-modern invention by 21st-century commentators.
  • Options
    violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How old is Isis now?
  • Options
    violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daisy Lewis will not be in series after this. The actress said she leaving for the states.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How old is Isis now?

Isis first appeared in 1916. Before that Robert had a dog named "Pharao".

We can assume she's about 8-9 years old by now (1924)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So looking forward to this. Absolutely love Downton. I'm so pleased the Xmas episode is set during Christmas and not Summer, as it adds to the feeling of festive time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mary is ready to find love again in this episode ans there is no julian ovenden in the first episode
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So looking forward to this. Absolutely love Downton. I'm so pleased the Xmas episode is set during Christmas and not Summer, as it adds to the feeling of festive time.

Series 5 is shaping up to be an absolute corker. Richard E Grant and his storyline are well worth the wait...

(Incidentally, ITV has some excellent dramas this autumn. I wasn't very interested in Cilla but after hearing good things, I've had a look and it's terrific... even if you don't much like Cilla Black...! Grantchester is beautifully made and then there's The Great Fire and the ever-excellent Lewis to come.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 5 is shaping up to be an absolute corker. Richard E Grant and his storyline are well worth the wait...

(Incidentally, ITV has some excellent dramas this autumn. I wasn't very interested in Cilla but after hearing good things, I've had a look and it's terrific... even if you don't much like Cilla Black...! Grantchester is beautifully made and then there's The Great Fire and the ever-excellent Lewis to come.)

Yes despite an awful year on ITV full of rpt's, Autumn looks good with drama on almost every night.

Cilla does look good. I'm also hoping Grantchester becomes the next big hit drama, it has all the ingredients to do so: nice scenery, well known actors, beautiful setting, etc.

Scott & Bailey on tonight :)

Downton looks to be superb this series. I'm going to be distraught when they bring it to a close. Hopefully Grantchester fills that gap as the next returning hit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twitter: Dan Wootton
    BIZARRE WORLD EXCLUSIVE IN @TheSunNewspaper TOMORROW - George Clooney joins Downton Abbey. Yes, really!
  • Options
    ScoutletScoutlet Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mary is ready to find love again in this episode ans there is no julian ovenden in the first episode

I believe he is in Episode 2 though. When they did the press screening of 5.01 a few weeks ago they also showed them a couple of teasers from Episode 2. And several articles mentioned Charles' talking to Mary about Tony and how she is more clever than he is, etc. So that must be in 5.02.
  • Options
    Pop PrincessPop Princess Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twitter: Dan Wootton
    BIZARRE WORLD EXCLUSIVE IN @TheSunNewspaper TOMORROW - George Clooney joins Downton Abbey. Yes, really!
    Apparently it's just for a small one-off sketch for Text Santa

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/11088616/George-Clooney-to-star-in-Downton-Abbey-charity-episode.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    More Downton spoilers are now published in the press now that the press embargo is off, among them are:

- Mary is sneaking away with Tony for a weekend

- Mabel is above Mary in the social ladder and Mary feels competitive

- Hugh Bonneville said about Sarah Bunting: "Normally Robert would enjoy a healthy debate, but she is just such a cow."

- Lastly, Thomas will try to change himself. He's torn about his sexuality, he doesn't want to be alone anymore. His storyline will be "heartbreaking"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It now appears that Lady Rose will stick around in Downton S6 after all:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-09-11/lily-james-i-hope-ill-be-in-downton-abbey-series-6
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm happy about that, because I like Lady Rose. But I wonder why they mislead us about it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to Thomas's story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is the press pack still not out?? Didn't they says they'd release it today?!!>:(:(:confused::cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daily Mail article indicates gillingham and mary are just going to have fun before marriage
  • Options
    ScoutletScoutlet Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andorra wrote: »
    Why is the press pack still not out?? Didn't they says they'd release it today?!!>:(:(:confused::cry:

They did. Any chance they'll release it later in the day/night? Does that ever happen?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another spoiler courtesy of Daily Telegraph. Do you think the show runners just recycle some plots from previous series? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still no bloody presspack!! >:(>:(>:(

Come on!!!
  • Options
    Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really does seem like Edith isn't going to do much of anything except keep her secret. Rose also seems to have nothing to do. I'm getting really bored of Mary getting all the storylines out of the Crawley girls. I couldn't care less about Mary's love life. Gillingham clearly isn't even going to be a long term love interest.

My biggest complaint about Downton Abbey is going on for a fifth series - Mary hogging the screentime.