Options

Geri Halliwell - Look At Me - Best song of 1999?

Comments

• Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sing It Back by Moloko was the song of the year for me.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Have to agree with the majority on this one. Britney Spears - Baby One More Time was my song of 1999.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31mlEEs9_Vk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look_at_Me_(Geri_Halliwell_song)

From one of the most controversial videos of the 90's with Geri in a coffin, cavorting nuns, and the initial "look at me, I'm no longer a Spice Girl" vibes to the sheer catchy hook, powerful vocals, and and a beat that sounds as fresh today as it did back then, surely this is 1999's best offering. Had Geri been taken more seriously she could have been the new Madonna.

The lyrics are also so meaningful and true for everyone.

:confused: Is this a joke thread?
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    If i had to make a top ten of songs released in 1999 it would be:

Baby... One More Time - Britney Spears
    No Scrubs - TLC
    Last Kiss - Pearl Jam
    Smooth - Santana (feat. Rob Thomas)
    I Knew I Loved You - Savage Garden
    I Want It That Way - Backstreet Boys
    Kiss Me - Sixpence None The Richer
    If You Had My Love - Jennifer Lopez
    All Star - Smash Mouth
    Have You Ever? - Brandy
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    I know 1999 had other good offerings at the time. But surely Baby One More Time is not one to surpass this. Its manufactured pop at its worst, and sounds very dated. This is coming from a massive Britney fan - I love most of her songs, but Baby One More Time is drivel.

At least Look At Me sounds loud, bold, up to date, and you can dance and sing along to it.
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No no no

Geri's solo career is better best forgotten.

Why? just because you don't like her music or voice?

Look at Me still gets airplay on TV shows now & Geris cover of Its Raining Men was huge neither are close to being forgotten and I believe both are loved by many casual fans. I think Mi Chico Latino is still very much loved aswell.

I love Geris three solo albums and anticipate a fourth. What I admire about Geri also is her song writing talent something your Britneys never got involved in. Makes her music more personal to me rather than just being a product. Outwith her cover of IRM and her B Side covers Geri cowrote every one of her tracks.

Admirable & disrespected solo artist imo
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Geri came across as desperate and really went for the gay icon status. Her "bag it up" video was really blatant! I never liked her. She left the Spice Girls on the Eve of their American tour which showed how self centered and dillusional she was. How she bagged 4 solo number ones is beyond me! If I were one of the 4 other girls I would resent her for leaving them in the lurch. They should've recorded a third album as a 5 piece and had a greatest hits album out in 2000. Then had a greatest hits tour in 2001 and retired on top! When they re emerged in 2007 for the comeback tour, it would have came across as more organic than contrived if they did it that way!
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's that Kenny guy? I'm sure he could put us all right on Geri's career, she sold eighty five million records you know...;-)
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Why? just because you don't like her music or voice?

Look at Me still gets airplay on TV shows now & Geris cover of Its Raining Men was huge neither are close to being forgotten and I believe both are loved by many casual fans. I think Mi Chico Latino is still very much loved aswell.

I love Geris three solo albums and anticipate a fourth. What I admire about Geri also is her song writing talent something your Britneys never got involved in. Makes her music more personal to me rather than just being a product. Outwith her cover of IRM and her B Side covers Geri cowrote every one of her tracks.

Admirable & disrespected solo artist imo

Listing all those achievements is hardly going to change my mind, so by calling me out on not liking her music career, has hardly put me in my place or made feel like I have "been told"

I like her as a person but i think she is an awful so called popstar. Why you are so blind to see and accept not everyone agrees? If you like and enjoy her music, good for you. But this is a forum and this thread isn't an appreciation thread and I do not kiss backsides. By the looks of a few posts on here, i am clearly not alone.

I never hear any Geri's music played on the radio, nor do i see her music in any shops, apart from charity shops going for 10p. You will hear her music on video channels because video channels cover all decades of music and centre on specific themes like "women of the 90's, or "female no 1's etc, etc etc etc.

FYI, Britney isn't mine, she is for everyone to enjoy. So let's not get childish or not play trumps on what geri does better and what britney sucks at. It's been confirmed by a few of britney's producers that Britney does a lot of songwriting, but it either makes the album or she refuses to take credit for it. But whether britney songwrites or not, is irelevant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My all wrote: »
    Geri came across as desperate and really went for the gay icon status. Her "bag it up" video was really blatant! I never liked her. She left the Spice Girls on the Eve of their American tour which showed how self centered and dillusional she was. How she bagged 4 solo number ones is beyond me! If I were one of the 4 other girls I would resent her for leaving them in the lurch. They should've recorded a third album as a 5 piece and had a greatest hits album out in 2000. Then had a greatest hits tour in 2001 and retired on top! When they re emerged in 2007 for the comeback tour, it would have came across as more organic than contrived if they did it that way!

She had her reasons she probably should have stayed until the end of the tour but she didn't. The Spice Girls were always going to implode early due to how big they got so soon anyway. It was never gonna be like Girls Aloud who only concentrated on the UK and got regular breaks from each other.

Mel C said in the 2012 documentary that both Geri & Mel B "left" a few times before Geri finally did it. So one was gonna do it eventually maybe even Mel C herself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listing all those achievements is hardly going to change my mind, so by calling me out on not liking her music career, has hardly put me in my place or made feel like I have "been told"

FYI, Britney isn't mine, she is for everyone to enjoy. So let's not get childish or not play trumps on what geri does better and what britney sucks at. It's been confirmed by a few of britney's producers that Britney does a lot of songwriting, but it either makes the album or she refuses to take credit for it. But whether britney songwrites or not, is irelevant.

It was never my intention to put you in your place or make you feel you'd been told. I simply found it kinda obnoxious of you to state that her solo career should be forgotten. Um no it should not.

Childish? I like Britney alot I merely used her as an example due to how much she is mentioned in this topic. If you believe Britney refuses to take songwriting credit you are either deluded or naive.
  • Options
    Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baby One More Time
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was never my intention to put you in your place or make you feel you'd been told. I simply found it kinda obnoxious of you to state that her solo career should be forgotten. Um no it should not.

Childish? I like Britney alot I merely used her as an example due to how much she is mentioned in this topic. If you believe Britney refuses to take songwriting credit you are either deluded or naive.

So i am obnoxious, deluded or naive

Brilliant

Simply for failing to meet an opinion that suits your needs. You won't get far with an attitude like that. I don't agree with your views on Geri but I am not behaving the way you are.

Considering insults are being thrown in, I'll join you, as you are childish, immature and unintelligent to get into your so called brain that a throwaway comment i passed as harmless is clearly unworthy of a ridiculous time wasting argument from yourself so you can prove your opinion of Geri Halliwell is the golden opinion and opinions from myself that don't match your own because what you state has to be the only thing we must all read and agree with, and therefore what we say is of little value.

Good Day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So i am obnoxious, deluded or naive

Brilliant

Simply for failing to meet an opinion that suits your needs. You won't get far with an attitude like that. I don't agree with your views on Geri but I am not behaving the way you are.

Considering insults are being thrown in, I'll join you, as you are childish, immature and unintelligent to get into your so called brain that a throwaway comment i passed as harmless is clearly unworthy of a ridiculous time wasting argument from yourself so you can prove your opinion of Geri Halliwell is the golden opinion and opinions from myself that don't match your own because what you state has to be the only thing we must all read and agree with, and therefore what we say is of little value.

Good Day

Oh dear. Harmless comment? if I went around a certain artists topic saying "This persons solo career is better best forgotten" I would come across as a troll as what right have I got to say that in a topic about this persons music and career?

Just try and be more respectful I don't like Cheryl Cole but even I wouldn't go into one of her fans topics and say the music they enjoy from her should be forgotten I'd merely argue and point out why I don't like it. If they like it fair enough I will state that I do not like it or her but they have the right to like it.

You are now coming over as a bit of a drama queen so yeah its best to just end this now before it goes any further.

Good day indeed.
  • Options
    Benry_GaleBenry_Gale Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Sing It Back by Moloko was the song of the year for me.

I'd be inclined to agree if she'd just once managed to pronounce 'sing' correctly.

'Shing it back' doesn't have the same ring.
  • Options
    David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't realise this when it was out but it sounds so much liker History Repeating, she even has the same Shirley Bassey vocals going on.

I think it was a hit because Geri was in the middle of her fame were as if she released it in 2005 or now it wouldn't have got to number 2...

It's an alright song but I wouldn't be inclined to play it often anymore.

I like Geri though, she's a proper star and has a good personality and works well as part of the Spice Girls but I think she should embrace that she's better in a team, rather than try to be a solo star.

There's a good use of Look At Me in Fat Slags and Geri is amazing in that movie too
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bender from Futurama sums up my thoughts on this thread.
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    Sex Bomb by Tom Jones was surely record of the year.

Except for it being released in 2000.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL you're right! I just read the first bit on Google which called it a 1999 song, then they later say it was released in 2000 - it's their fault!
  • Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    No Scrubs defined 1999 in music for me:)

I have to agree with this .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Look At Me
    Mi Chico Latino
    Lift me up
    Bag It Up
    Scream If You Wanna Go Faster
    Calling
    Its Raining Men
    Au Nom de L'amour
    Ride It
    Desire
    Phenomenal Woman

Thats her current list of singles. Moderetly successful. However, the British public do tend to chew artists up and spit them out quite hard. Theres a thread on here about artsists who were huge for a few years then fizzle out with little airplay etc. We did it to one of the most talented vocalists around, Tina Arena. The fact is we are a nation who aren't interested in anything unless they are swinging in naked like wrecking ball.
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully she'll never set foot in another recording studio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    warszawa wrote: »
    Hopefully she'll never set foot in another recording studio.

Shes working on a new album just now.
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shes working on a new album just now.

Thanks for the warning.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I know 1999 had other good offerings at the time. But surely Baby One More Time is not one to surpass this. Its manufactured pop at its worst, and sounds very dated. This is coming from a massive Britney fan - I love most of her songs, but Baby One More Time is drivel.

Baby One More Time is iconic though and that school video and song is what most people think of when they think of Britney Spears. I understand if you don't like it but at least appreciate that it's iconic and if that song hadn't been Britney's debut she would likely not be around now. I am a massive Britney fan as well.

Britney actually wrote and composed Everytime herself and she also wrote Someday (I Will Understand) and My Baby from Circus. She has co-written and written several of her album songs and there are several unreleased songs that were written or co-written by Britney herself.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Off top of my head

Alice dj - better off alone
    New radicals - you got the music in you
    Armand van helden - you dont know me
    Eminem - my name is
    Phats and small - turn around
    Shanks and bigfoot - sweet like chocolate
    Britney - born to make you happy
    Shania twain - that dont impress me much
    TLC - no scrubs

All way better than anything Geri has ever done in my opinion.