Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    Doctor Who is paying for messing around with its format, the first half of the series, has seen Clara with one foot in the TARDIS, and one in a school, and im sorry to say it Danny, and the school does not improve the show one bit, its no accident the past two episodes Clara has been a full companion again, not having to be picked up at the start of the episode, and the show has been far better.

Doctor Who might be paying for split series and long gaps between episodes. It did well I'm the anniversary year but that was just two episodes, the 50th and Christmas. 7b earlier in the year was a bit of a mess storywise.

Also, maybe Peter Capaldi's Doctor doesn't appeal to casual viewers the way Matt Smith and especially David Tennant did. Is it him? The style of the programme now? Something isn't clicking with the audience like it used to.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    I don't think that was Simon Cowell's scheduling decision - ITV knew it would be hit there and aired it anyway, arguably hurting momentum. Stupid scheduling as they already knew the series wasn't 'bouncing' at that point.

Donning the tin foil hats - anyone would think that ITV were deliberately bringing down the averages for X Factor for this series. Is the 3 year deal tied to a set amount or perhaps if the show drops the average rating does it suddenly becomes a little cheaper for them to produce ?

Tin foil hat now removed. :D
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    I don't think that was Simon Cowell's scheduling decision - ITV knew it would be hit there and aired it anyway, arguably hurting momentum. Stupid scheduling as they already knew the series wasn't 'bouncing' at that point.

Donning the tin foil hats - anyone would think that ITV were deliberately bringing down the averages for X Factor for this series. Is the 3 year deal tied to a set amount or perhaps if the show drops it's average rating for the series, does it suddenly becomes a little cheaper for them to produce ?

Tin foil hat now removed. :D
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 11th October 2014 - Consolidated Ratings
    Strictly Come Dancing - 9.74m (40.6%)
    The X Factor - 8.30m (31.6%) / 8.79m (33.5%)
    Doctor Who - 7.11m (26.6%)
    The Great British Bake Off - 1.16m (10.7%)
    * overnight was 915k (8.9%)
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Do you know what the final episode of Our Zoo got in the consolidated ratings please? And how did Scott and Bailey rate against it
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Strictly and The X Factor look low, relatively speaking - particularly the latter. Nice to see Doctor Who above 7m.

Thank you, as ever, for the figures. :)
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excluding the Christmas special last year

Through the Keyhole, inc +1
    2013 - 4.97m (22.8%)
    * series started with 6.12m (28.6%) (31/08/13)
    * series ended with 4.41m (20.8%) (05/10/13)
    2014 - 4.25m (20.0%)
    * series started with 4.33m (19.5%) (30/08/14)
    * series ended with 3.71m (19.7%) (11/10/14)
    * series high was 4.61m (21.9%) (13/09/14)
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Remember the ITV Telethon from 1988, with its round the regions feature( two people I went to school with appeared on the Border slot), which was actually a big success and pulled in 10 million viewers. Maybe time for ITV to do this again with Bradley Walsh and Lorraine Kelly hosting, although the regional feature probably wouldn't be viable now.

I remember. I helped out Granada by running an event at Jodrell Bank including giving lectures in the planetarium and the daft woman on the studio link asked me (seriously) why a bank had a planetarium!

I expect she is producing Mastermind these days. :)

But they were great TV events when this sort of thing was not ten a penny. Much as they could be fun and entertaining and might beat half the usual ITV ratings with the annual Children in Need and Text Santa I cannot see such a mega event working
    as well 3 decades on. It will almost seem today to viewers as like - not another one?
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member

Thanks D.M.N. :)

Good to see Who over 7m again.

Not too much timeshift stolen by the Bake Off final repeat then - an increase from the overnight for the repeat of only 0.2m. The vast majority of people had watched it by the Saturday.

Can you please give me the Strictly consolidated share for Sunday 5th? It timeshifted by only about +0.51m (to 9.35m) and therefore missed the Broadcast top 30 timeshifters' chart. :)
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Strictly and The X Factor look low, relatively speaking - particularly the latter. Nice to see Doctor Who above 7m.

Thats because they were both low last week with the clash.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember. I helped out Granada by running an event at Jodrell Bank including giving lectures in the planetarium and the daft woman on the studio link asked me (seriously) why a bank had a planetarium!

I expect she is producing Mastermind these days. :)

But they were great TV events when this sort of thing was not ten a penny. Much as they could be fun and entertaining and might beat half the usual ITV ratings with the annual Children in Need and Text Santa I cannot see such a mega event working
    as well 3 decades on. It will almost seem today to viewers as like - not another one?

The Border opt out had a girl I went to school with who wasn't the sharpest knife in the box who was asked what her favourite pastime was and answered Matt Goss off Bros. The woman next to her answered loads of sex, to the general embarassment of Craig Austin.
    However, good fun and something ITV could look into again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Thats because they were both low last week with the clash.

True but I expected both to consolidate more accordingly.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

That doesnt seem to be happening this year for anything except maybe DW.
    Shows are down but timeshifts seem to remain the same as previous.
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    I'm glad to see SCD pretty much kept its audience after the mess that was movie week. It was a much better show last night so I hope it will keep its current ratings and I hope people will give Tess and Claudia a bit of credit, as I think they are doing a great job, particularly Claudia.

X Factor was dull last night, much less impressive than the week before - I wish they'd scrap 80s week, it does very few of the acts any favours.

Having said that, I'd expect the X Factor results show to beat the Strictly results show. I think it is perfect scheduled in between Strictly and Downton and picks up casual voters from both, and has more drama than the main show.

Great for Pointless.

As for Doctor Who, I think Moffat makes a great fan show. I think the people who like it will love it and repeat watch it, buy the merchandise, etc - it's a great success this year. I just think it's less suited than it used to be to the casual viewer who just wants to watch some fun drama on a Saturday night. I wonder if The Three Musketeers could do really well in that slot, more like Merlin did - beautiful men and women, bit of action, bit of romance, bit of humour, silly but goodhearted? I think that might be more what the audience is in the mood for straight after Strictly. Atlantis will hopefully do that, but I wasn't that impressed with the first series, but I just wonder if Three Musketeers could really work there. And Doctor Who might be better at another time of year, like it used to be, where it would stand out more? I don't know.
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All very predictable, wasn't it? 80s week -- backlog of some brilliant tunes, and they choose fodder.

It was an odd choice of songs given that it was 1980s week. Maybe they are saving the 1980s rock/pop/club/dance classics for a disco week later on in the series. The Proclaimers cover at the end was very strange, a song that is most definitely designed to be shouted along to, being sang slow and understated didn't gel well at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am surprised strictly's rating is as high as it is, as it's pretty awful and before i am being accused of being an itv boy, (unlike many on here i don't have any agenda's) i don't even like the fix factor. both shows are past their prime, i suppose while both shows pull in these decent figures and shares they aren't going anywhere any time soon.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV are numpties really when it comes to creating a strong night. For some reason they think viewers will just return immediately for the main programme without a better lead in. At least the BBC seem to know how ratings work.

Its a running joke that YBF is still in the schedule leading into one of the biggest ratings period of year.

ITV essentially put up next to no fight against Strictly, therefore boosting its ratings and affecting the rest of their evening. For next year IF Thunderbirds is a success (in that it pulls in a 6m+ audience, depending on where its put), and given that being a good seller abroad they needn't worry too much about advertising.

4:20pm Tipping Point
    5:20pm ITV News
    5:30pm The Chase
    6:30pm Thunderbirds Are Go
    7pm The X Factor
    9:30pm Chat Show

Would a supported and stronger schedule allow TXF even at 7pm to be given an easier ride than starting more than 1hr into SCD? Starting Thunderbirds when SCD starts allows ITV to get an audience earlier.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member

Strictly did add 0.22m more than the previous week did, but the previous timeshift was quite low whereas last week was around where it was last year.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strictly very solid if down on last year. The Beeb will be very happy its rating starts with a 9. It somewhat new ground this year with the two ladies presenting and arguably not the greatest set of contestants. It lacks a comedy act-if its supposed to be Scott Mills its not working but it was the best show so far last night.

With regards to X Factor, the rating doesn't look good from my angle. The bloated performance show is always most likely to show the ratings strain and as has been suggested before-the format risks more and more having its interest centred on the last 15 minutes of the results show where it probably gets the biggest peak of the week of any show.
    I would like to ask anyone on here, if they have an opinion, to say where they genuinely thought XF would be ratingswise by now given the return of Cowell and Cole-and whether it matches where it actually is. I truly thought it would be doing better than it is (and before anyone says-I know they are still very good figures in this day and age)
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Lowest crude timeshift for a Saturday X Factor so far this series (+1.13m). Without checking I assume that live shows tend more to be watched, well, live. It will have had a slight downwards tape-checking adjustment through adding two lower-rating minutes at the start and one at the end.

So the first Saturday live show started out +0.34m ahead of Judges' Houses Saturday in the overnights, but finished just +0.16m up in the officials.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Considering Strictly had 8.65m last week it's where I expected it to be. It has never been a big timeshifter and usually adds over 1m. Having said that I thought it could add 1.2-1.3m due to the lower overnight.

I was more surprised it didn't add 1m the previous week with a 9m overnight.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,631
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Doctor Who might be paying for split series and long gaps between episodes. It did well I'm the anniversary year but that was just two episodes, the 50th and Christmas. 7b earlier in the year was a bit of a mess storywise.

Also, maybe Peter Capaldi's Doctor doesn't appeal to casual viewers the way Matt Smith and especially David Tennant did. Is it him? The style of the programme now? Something isn't clicking with the audience like it used to.

The "live" overnight audience would be bigger on Sundays every week at 7pm where people could find it just like "Country file" etc.

But "Doctor Who" audience always catches up with it in the end. And the series match each other in terms of averages and final figures.

BBC one will be happy with how the series has done I would think. And Matt Smith or Tennant never had the honour of facing Simon Cowell every week. "The X Factor" is getting big audiences at 8.30pm. Perhaps there is more of a crossover between the two shows than "Merlin".

I think all in all the series has done well, but I wish they would give it a fixed time slot and take it off Saturdays where nothing stays fixed into the schedule.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Lowest crude timeshift for a Saturday X Factor so far this series (+1.13m). Without checking I assume that live shows tend more to be watched, well, live. It will have had a slight downwards tape-checking adjustment through adding two lower-rating minutes at the start and one at the end.

So the first Saturday live show started out +0.34m ahead of Judges' Houses Saturday in the overnights, but finished just +0.16m up in the officials.

Or maybe more people watching the Saturday night/Sunday repeats prior to the results show as it's live? That would presumably affect timeshift from Sunday evening onwards.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    C14E, do you have the rating for C4 Racing yesterday please? :)

Champions Day really delivered what it said on the tin yesterday. What a finish between Noble Mission and Al Kazeem !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxbvMv-9Gxk

0.54m (5.7%) from 1.30pm to 5pm. 15 min peak of 0.68m (7.9%) at 2.45pm. :)
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    So they're still denying the 8.30pm time slot was anything to do with Strictly. ;-)
    In fairness its pretty clear the audience don't care about the later start time anyway. As we saw last week there's been no significant change in the live or overnight audience or indeed the final figures really.
    SamuelW wrote: »
    In fact, isnt this evidence that XF would be better off airing at 7.30pm with a longer clash in order for it to finish earlier, than to start later?
    Well you've certainly changed your tune. Last week pushing The X Factor later with a smaller clash was a genius piece of scheduling by ITV but now apparently we have proof it was rubbish scheduling that does nothing for the show. Although how you're spinning that when the show was up (albeit not by much) week-on-week I'm not sure. I would suspect that actually this week suggests ITV is in a no win situation here. Starting early with an extended Strictly clash and ending later with a smaller Strictly clash seem to add up to effectively the same numbers.
    Because the whole point of Simon etc coming back was to supposedly get the show back on top and it hasn't. If anything it's making it worse.
    That this is what this thread has decided the point of Simon and Cheryl returning was doesn't mean that, that's actually what the point of it was.
    C14E wrote: »
    Elsewhere, Doctor Who barely scraping a 20% share and rating lower than Pointless... it really shouldn't have that slot. Atlantis did 4.70m (20.3%) out of Strictly last year. ITV abysmal as usual away from XF.
    Indeed. As I said last week there really seems to be no upside to continuing this Doctor Who/Strictly pairing next year. Doctor Who clearly isn't seeing any benefit and is just rating as it would anywhere else at any other time of year. On the one hand that's quite a good thing for Doctor Who in that its a remarkably stable show with an incredibly loyal audience but on the other hand that the huge casual audience don't seem to be interested in regular episodes isn't great.
    C14E wrote: »
    Definitely, but they might as well show it elsewhere. I doubt Atlantis would get 4.7m without that Strictly lead-in. DW would do the same at 6pm in spring. It's a waste giving it such a big slot.
    I don't know that its a waste giving it such a big slot but rather that it seems like they could probably use this kind of number on Saturday night in the first half of the year and seemingly have absolutely nothing else capable of producing it.
    cylon6 wrote: »

I don't think it is suffering from any of these things. I think its suffering from having an audience that doesn't watch via traditional means anymore and I really don't know that there's anyway to roll the clock back on that. In theory I suppose they could try delaying putting the show up on iPlayer and see if that forces more of the audience back to watching it live or at least on the day of broadcast that gets them measured but I think that's going to produce minor, if any, uplift. Its a difficult conundrum to solve Doctor Who because its actual audience is great its just that it comes from various sources and at various points across the week (if not longer) which makes it difficult to really measure effectively. At least in a decent time frame.

To be honest I'd quite like to see what happens if they try the show completely out of slot potentially on a different day. That would make an interesting comparison point. Although I don't actually recommend they do that as interesting as the numbers might be.
This discussion has been closed.