Heavy Metal/ Hard Rock

Comments

• ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Exactly, they were still a Metal band back then, they are a long way from that now.

They're still popular with Metal fans though :)

Or are you suggesting that a Metal festival might be bit too much for the average WT fan?
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    I'm a bit of a music buff but have never really been into heavy metal / heavy rock and have generally steered away from it in the past. However, since I'm off work with a broken leg at the moment I've decided to give myself a "history of metal" education.

So far I've listened to the obvious trio of metal pioneers (early albums by Led Zep, Sabbath, Deep Purple) and then backtracked to pre-metal heavy blues - Mayall, Clapton, Beck etc. but has anyone got more suggestions for early pioneering hard rock / metal albums?

You just gotta listen to Judas Priest and Motorhead but maybe they are too obvious. Diamond Head are a good one to check out as well.

And here is a list of albums to get you started

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/RENZO46/pioneers_of_metal__greatest_70s_albums/
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    They're still popular with Metal fans though :)

Or are you suggesting that a Metal festival might be bit too much for the average WT fan?

I agree, they are, i was just thinking that today they might not be "heavy" enough for a festival like Bloodstock, that is all.

I would have though they might be considered too "mainstream" today. :)
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I managed to get tickets to Devin Townsend Project - "Return of Ziltoid" :cool:

In case you didn't know its going to be a musical of Ziltoid & Z2 at the Royal Albert Hall next year.

Absolutely gutted VIP sold out in the pre-sale, but we got seats in one of the boxes and it sold out in a day, so I ended up going from :cry: to :o to :D
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody going to see Hawkwind on their current tour.?

This thread now seems to have hardly many posts nowadays since Dodger0703 seemed to stop posting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody going to see Hawkwind on their current tour.?

This thread now seems to have hardly many posts nowadays since Dodger0703 seemed to stop posting.

I can't make this tour, but I saw them last year and the current lineup is as good as its been for a long time!

Next gig for me is Kate Bush on 26th September and then Anathema on 27th! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't make this tour, but I saw them last year and the current lineup is as good as its been for a long time!

Next gig for me is Kate Bush on 26th September and then Anathema on 27th! :D

Hawkwind already have 2015 dates up on their website.

Just wish they could attract Simon House back.! New years wish.:D
    I wonder if there are any odds on Brian Blessed joining up.:D:D

Tues 30th sept is when i shall see them. Near your kate bush date.

Then i have also tickets for Micheal Schenker (Good as he has ever been)

Black Star Riders,UFO,Sabaton , Motorhead , should be a good few months.

Hope your Kate Bush gig is good.
    Forum Member

Another sodding tour with no NE date >:( :cry:

My next gig isn't until December. Saxon in Newcastle. Mainly going for support act HELL though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My next gig isn't until December. Saxon in Newcastle. Mainly going for support act HELL though.

It is the same down here. Bristol is the 7th largest city in the country and yet we are finding more and more we need to go to Cardiff or Birmingham to see bands, even the smaller bands. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm sure she will be as good when you see her!

I've managed to avoid everything to do with the tour so far, all I have seen is one photo and read her voice is superb. I'm not going to respond to any of the threads on here until after the shows have finished because I don't want to spoil it for anyone else going after me. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No i cannot understand that either.

Saxon are still good in Dec i go to see Motorhead (London) Wembley Arena yuk!.but still it is them.;-)

And Micheal Schenker also in Dec.(Meet and Greet)

With Hawkwind sandwiched between them. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the same down here. Bristol is the 7th largest city in the country and yet we are finding more and more we need to go to Cardiff or Birmingham to see bands, even the smaller bands. :(

I tend to travel to Norwich if bands are playing at the UEA (from Essex} as its a small venue 1500,which makes it more intimate last year Phil Campbells All Star Band rocked it to bits and he met us after even though it was not a meet and greet lovely bloke..

Micheal Schenker also plays Norwich,as do Black Star Riders,and UFO next year.

Either that or its London or Cambridge, Hawkwind are funny about their venues they never seem to play any anywhere near me going to Bedford to see them.:(
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Orange Goblin song 'Sabbath Hex', really like it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiGIvnnejRg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    New Orange Goblin song 'Sabbath Hex', really like it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiGIvnnejRg

Quite surreal i quite like it.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend to travel to Norwich if bands are playing at the UEA (from Essex} as its a small venue 1500,which makes it more intimate last year Phil Campbells All Star Band rocked it to bits and he met us after even though it was not a meet and greet lovely bloke..

Micheal Schenker also plays Norwich,as do Black Star Riders,and UFO next year.

Either that or its London or Cambridge, Hawkwind are funny about their venues they never seem to play any anywhere near me going to Bedford to see them.:(

I've always had a massive problem with "meet & greet".

You never used to have to pay to meet any band and up and coming bands fall over themselves to sign after a show. But as soon as they become a little bit better known those same fans, the ones who put them in the bigger venues in the first place, are then expected to pay for the "privilege" of meeting them.

I don't think so.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New Slash album is out today! Anybody picked it up yet? Impressive so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You never used to have to pay to meet any band and up and coming bands fall over themselves to sign after a show. But as soon as they become a little bit better known those same fans, the ones who put them in the bigger venues in the first place, are then expected to pay for the "privilege" of meeting them.

I don't think so.

Yes i agree but here is the "but" traditional rockers did not do meet and greets.

It's only a recent thing usually i would not do it but to meet some is a joy be it Phil Campbell (free) or Black star riders the meet and greet for them was quite reasonable as it included concert tickets,a 30 min acoustic performance for us only ,and a big goodie bag including a t shirt for less then £100.

Micheal Schenker his sheer talent makes me want to meet him,and believe me he is back to his absolute best,but you also get to meet the rest of the band.

Some are better then others but if i did not think it was worth it to me personally i would not pay.
    Forum Member

I don't think so.

It's not the bands, it's the promoters who are demanding it more & more, as it makes more money.

It seems to be an American thing that's become more popular over here now. I don't agree with it either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes i agree but here is the "but" traditional rockers did not do meet and greets.

It's only a recent thing usually i would not do it but to meet some is a joy be it Phil Campbell (free) or Black star riders the meet and greet for them was quite reasonable as it included concert tickets,a 30 min acoustic performance for us only ,and a big goodie bag including a t shirt for less then £100.

Micheal Schenker his sheer talent makes me want to meet him,and believe me he is back to his absolute best,but you also get to meet the rest of the band.

Some are better then others but if i did not think it was worth it to me personally i would not pay.

I saw Schenker @ High Voltage in 2011 and I agree, he is back to his best. He's just been announced as the Saturday headliner for Planet Rockstock in December so I'm looking forward to seeing him again. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not the bands, it's the promoters who are demanding it more & more, as it makes more money.

It seems to be an American thing that's become more popular over here now. I don't agree with it either.

This is the problem.

I've met the guys in Black Stone Cherry a few times as they always used to do a signing after their shows, as most bands used to.

Now they are doing an Arena tour next month the inevitable "Meet & Greet" package is available....
  • richparrrichparr Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Finally got around to ordering tickets to see Diamond Head in Swansea on 21st Nov.

Was a big fan of theirs back in the days of 'Borrowed Time', but never got around to seeing them. I know it's only Brian Tatler left from back then, but still looking forward to it. :)

Also got tickets for the mighty Saxon in Shepherds Bush in Dec, about the 20th time I've seen them and they seem to get even better with age.
    Forum Member
    This is really sad.

AC/DC's MALCOLM YOUNG Reportedly Being Treated For Dementia
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/acdcs-malcolm-young-reportedly-being-treated-for-dementia/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is really sad.

AC/DC's MALCOLM YOUNG Reportedly Being Treated For Dementia
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/acdcs-malcolm-young-reportedly-being-treated-for-dementia/

More then sad at his age its bl--dy tragic i really do wish him all the best,:cry::cry:

AC/DC have provided us with some of the best rock music over the years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On another [point i had not realised Girlschool were playing live again they have also re-released Emergency with some of the profits going to the London Air Ambulance am seeing them in November.
    Forum Member
    On another [point i had not realised Girlschool were playing live again they have also re-released Emergency with some of the profits going to the London Air Ambulance am seeing them in November.

They were touring with Raven a few months ago