Is There Anything That ISN'T Offensive?

Comments

• James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Because it wasn't said with any malice or intent or hatred perhaps? He meant absolutely no harm by it.
    It would be interesting to see how many muslims were offended by that as opposed to non muslims .......

That's may be the problem the fact he saw no harm in saying it like it was nothing at all
  • cheachea Posts: 7,827
    Forum Member
    Because it wasn't said with any malice or intent or hatred perhaps? He meant absolutely no harm by it.
    It would be interesting to see how many muslims were offended by that as opposed to non muslims .......

Definitely not offensive. Associating an Islamic item of clothing with suicide bombings....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Why do you consider that to be a different issue?

And why should it depend on the reason if in a book, song etc ... I do hope you're not trying to move the goal posts to suit your own agenda here. It's either unacceptable in all situations or not ......

a history book on how the word originated for example would be acceptable but not in a work of fiction for example.

Rap music is a different issue as some black people are not offended by the use of the word in the lyrics but some call for it to not be used at all. But i can guarantee that a white rapper would never use the word in their music.

Rappers in america have taken 'ownership' of the word as a response to the racism their forefathers suffered often by being called the N word.
  • leon_blayerleon_blayer Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    big brother like to highlight the slightest risque comment in the house coz they want the publicity of having a newspaper headline.
  • biomorph04biomorph04 Posts: 4,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there anything left that isn't deemed offensive in this world any more?

It's getting ridiculous that no-one can so much as breathe any more without being jumped on or given a "warning" about offensive language !!

Is it just me who thinks the world's gone altogether mad?

There are of course an INFINITE number of things we can say that are not offensive.

The reality is that for far too long the small minded bigots have gotten away with murder. Often literally. And we just won't stand for it anymore.

Compassion is the key. Plus imagination and intelligence. And a sense of humour :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    biomorph04 wrote: »
    There are of course an INFINITE number of things we can say that are not offensive.

The reality is that for far too long the small minded bigots have gotten away with murder. Often literally. And we just won't stand for it anymore.

Compassion is the key. Plus imagination and intelligence. And a sense of humour :)

is that the anti race/religion bigots

or the

your a racist if u try to be funny about race/relgion bigots
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... it's about whether or not IMHO whether any malice or intent were involved and I genuinely don't believe there was any of that.

You don't get how any malice was implied by joking that someone in Islamic dress could be carrying a bomb?

OK, let's ignore any offense it could cause. Do you think it's funny? Is it a good joke?
  • KittyKreamKittyKream Posts: 4,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But to be fair Madame Kitty, I don't believe there was any thought process involved. It was just a spur of the moment back handed comment ...... and as Oldnjaded so clearly puts it (I stand in awe - I wish I could express myself with a mere fraction of clarity OJ can :) ) .... it's about whether or not IMHO whether any malice or intent were involved and I genuinely don't believe there was any of that.

The fact that there wasn't a thought process involved makes it worse.! it wouldn't even OCCUR to most civilised people to even think that,let alone say it :confused:

He may not have meant to have cause offence but he still did so.
    Therefore the warning was deserved and obviously so imho.

I do believe there is a case to be made for 'political correctness gone mad' in many areas of modern life but Ron's punishment was not an example of this.
    What he said was highly offensive.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a history book on how the word originated for example would be acceptable but not in a work of fiction for example.

So a historical novel about the American slave trade, set any time over at least three centuries, or a drama set during the 1960s about segregationist America, (just one example, 'The Help'), are unacceptable in your view? :eek:

Can you not see the minefield you walk into with comments like that? Bear in mind that a large section of the population get their education on issues like this from novels.

This is the danger of people suggesting that certain words should be banned and erased, (except for some exceptions of their choosing). How the hell can anybody ever learn anything if they are not allowed to discuss it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chea wrote: »
    How hard is it not to abuse someone's race,religion or sexuality?

Unbelievably, it would seem that for some, it is very hard. :confused:

It does seem amazing that in 2013.......not 1986 when the idea of being fair to people was a relatively new idea, that people still exist who, no matter how simply it is put, no matter how clear the boundaries are, just can't grasp it.
    Forum Member
    As for the only joking thing so it doesn't matter what is said as long as it's "Just a joke"

My brother is very disabled and when I have took him out in his wheelchair people shout to him "Hey you guys" (Sloth's catchphrase from The Goonies) and their friends laugh.

So because their friends find it funny I shouldn't be offended or upset over what they said to him ( I suppose in some was it's lucky he only had the mental age of a 3 year old so doesn't understand)
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that there wasn't a thought process involved makes it worse.! it wouldn't even OCCUR to most civilised people to even think that,let alone say it :confused:

He may not have meant to have cause offence but he still did so.
    Therefore the warning was deserved and obviously so imho.

I do believe there is a case to be made for 'political correctness gone mad' in many areas of modern life but Ron's punishment was not an example of this.
    What he said was highly offensive.

Kitty, it might not occur to most YOUNG people to say it - people who have been brought up with a different idea of what is and is not acceptable. It most certainly would be, and is, used by older people brought up in a time when the tv du jour was Love Thy Neighbour and Till Death Us Do Part, (both anti-racism programmes btw). They might occasionally slip up verbally, but it doesn't make them racist. I laughed my head off at LTN and TDUDP.

You only have to listen to Big Ron for 5 minutes to see that he is a kindly gentleman and about 1000 times more interesting and restrained than the vacuous z listers in whose company he now finds himself.
    Forum Member
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    So a historical novel about the American slave trade, set any time over at least three centuries, or a drama set during the 1960s about segregationist America, (just one example, 'The Help'), are unacceptable in your view? :eek:

Can you not see the minefield you walk into with comments like that? Bear in mind that a large section of the population get their education on issues like this from novels.

This is the danger of people suggesting that certain words should be banned and erased, (except for some exceptions of their choosing). How the hell can anybody ever learn anything if they are not allowed to discuss it?

i agree

If we rewrite history so that the N word is never mentioned in any book - it will make all us white people feel better as tho we never used it.

Plus we can tell all black people that as the word no longer exists in history, they can feel better about their ancestors being slaves

:rolleyes:

You CANT rewrite history - the N word exists - whether u like it or not
  • NaughtyNanNaughtyNan Posts: 9,445
    Forum Member

Rap music is a different issue as some black people are not offended by the use of the word in the lyrics but some call for it to not be used at all. But i can guarantee that a white rapper would never use the word in their music.

Rappers in america have taken 'ownership' of the word as a response to the racism their forefathers suffered often by being called the N word.

Rappers in America can get a life. lol

I'm sorry but I don't agree with you at all. I think the N word can be used in books and in discussions. Only time its use is incorrect when its said as derogatory remark. The reason BB gives warning is not because the actual word causes offense its because people can't distinguish the context of a word being used and might take offence to it. Its a warning for 'possible' offence that it ''might'' cause.
    It seems that people are just ready to be offended the instant they hear something is deemed to be offensive.

Do you get offended every single time you hear the N word irrespective of the context its used in?
    Forum Member
    As for the only joking thing so it doesn't matter what is said as long as it's "Just a joke"

My brother is very disabled and when I have took him out in his wheelchair people shout to him "Hey you guys" (Sloth's catchphrase from The Goonies) and their friends laugh.

So because their friends find it funny I shouldn't be offended or upset over what they said to him ( I suppose in some was it's lucky he only had the mental age of a 3 year old so doesn't understand)

But this is the WHOLE point of the discussion

When its aimed at some one its extremely offensive

If its used in a different context it should be viewed as such

Carol explaining what Ron did was not an attack on anyone , was just relating history

Rons was not an attack on anyone in particular, but was bloody stupid
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do "grasp it", thank you! And of course there should be boundaries. See how easy it is to take simple words out of context?
    My only point is over sensitivity about PC matters in general.

FWIW, I wasn't the one to bring up the race issue. I could have been referring to one of many matters, but seeing as that's the only incident jumped on, figured I'd roll with it.

But to sum it up, no I didn't find it offensive. No I'm not ignorant. No I'm not a horrible person. Yes, I have faced prejudices against myself (as I'm sure most people in the world have to a lesser or greater degree for numerous reasons whether racial or other)

It's this world where nothing is "immune" from offense that gets my goat and will no doubt continue to do so.
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    stargate03 wrote: »
    is that the anti race/religion bigots

or the

your a racist if u try to be funny about race/relgion bigots
    you can not joke about other races and religion in this day in age.
    Forum Member
    RickyBarby wrote: »

Good that's just the way it should be
    Forum Member
    I do "grasp it", thank you! And of course there should be boundaries. See how easy it is to take simple words out of context?

FWIW, I wasn't the one to bring up the race issue. I could have been referring to one of many matters, but seeing as that's the only incident jumped on, figured I'd roll with it.

But to sum it up, no I didn't find it offensive. No I'm not ignorant. No I'm not a horrible person. Yes, I have faced prejudices against myself (as I'm sure most people in the world have to a lesser or greater degree for numerous reasons whether racial or other)

It's this world where nothing is "immune" from offense that gets my goat and will no doubt continue to do so.

no Goatism remarks please
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stargate03 wrote: »
    no Goatism remarks please

:o

:D:D
    Forum Member
    RickyBarby wrote: »

I can im an athiest ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You don't grasp it.

Your last sentence is a testament to the fact.
  • Bagshot85Bagshot85 Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    Good that's just the way it should be

And yet there are quite a few threads popping up on here, with ppl bemoaning the fact that they aren't allowed to air their bigoted views anymore, without attracting discourse from others. :rolleyes:

It's not 'pc gone mad,' but the rest of us evolving.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Oldnjaded wrote: »

my main point is that it should not be used in conversation in any context even if it is to quote someone as Carole did. so the warning is appropriate but i don't agree with big brother using the word whilst issuing the warning.

i stated that in a historical book it is acceptable and in the examples of fiction you've given it would be acceptable to some and offensive to others. Everyone knows that the word was used to denigrate black people so the education argument is a little silly to be honest.

i'm not trying to erase the word or stop people discussing it. we are discussing it now but no one has actually used the word which is how it should be.
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    NaughtyNan wrote: »
    Rappers in America can get a life. lol

I'm sorry but I don't agree with you at all. I think the N word can be used in books and in discussions. Only time its use is incorrect when its said as derogatory remark. The reason BB gives warning is not because the actual word causes offense its because people can't distinguish the context of a word being used and might take offence to it. Its a warning for 'possible' offence that it ''might'' cause.
    It seems that people are just ready to be offended the instant they hear something is deemed to be offensive.

Do you get offended every single time you hear the N word irrespective of the context its used in?

it is okay to use the N word in movies and tv shows set in the past. and also in movies and tv shows set now adays.

as some people will all ways use that word. and all ways will.

and its wrong it try and acted the n word is not used now adays.