Would you pay for BT sport?

Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello,

If anyone subscribed to BT Sport before the launch on 01/08/2013, they would have been given the chance to had free HD for a year. Aparently over half a million subscribers did this. I got this all free because I have BT broadband as well but only on one Sky box.

Now I have been told I can get BT Sport free with the broadband still but I must pay £3 a month for the HD and £5 per month if I want HD and have it available on another box.

My question is, is anyone prepared to pay an extra £3 or £5 per month for this service? I personally am not as I already pay over £20 per month for multiroom and HD so I am a little miffed paying extra just so I can get three channels to do the same as all the others I have.

Comments

• popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Hello,

If anyone subscribed to BT Sport before the launch on 01/08/2013, they would have been given the chance to had free HD for a year. Aparently over half a million subscribers did this. I got this all free because I have BT broadband as well but only on one Sky box.

Now I have been told I can get BT Sport free with the broadband still but I must pay £3 a month for the HD and £5 per month if I want HD and have it available on another box.

My question is, is anyone prepared to pay an extra £3 or £5 per month for this service? I personally am not as I already pay over £20 per month for multiroom and HD so I am a little miffed paying extra just so I can get three channels to do the same as all the others I have.

Yes. Im very prepared to pay it and i currently do.

Seems like you want something for nothing and again this gripe; 'I already have Sky...'
    If you want BT Sport in HD, get it, if not, don't. No one is forcing you, its not law.
    And no, there is a vast difference between BT Sport HD and BT Sport SD.
    The HD channels PQ is arguably the best on UK TV. The Sd isn't bad either, but no, they're not the same at all!
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member
    Hello,

I have both Sky for TV and Broadband and I will continue to pay BT Sport from August £3.00 extra for HD after having the HD free for 12 months, but I've also paid £12.00 per month since August 2013 to receive BT Sport and I am willing to pay £15.00 per month from August 2014.
    I also have Sky's full package including Sky Sports and Sky Movies.
    Ian.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Currently paying £20 as I have multi room and no bt broadband.

Go me!!
  • TomM44TomM44 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Hello,

No, I will not.
  • the-masterthe-master Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thomo - "you" pay?! I am sure I have read you saying before that a relative pays for you. Nothing wrong with that - but don't make out that it is YOU paying for something when, in reality, someone else is picking up your bill.
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member
    the-master wrote: »
    Thomo - "you" pay?! I am sure I have read you saying before that a relative pays for you. Nothing wrong with that - but don't make out that it is YOU paying for something when, in reality, someone else is picking up your bill.

That was a pre- Christmas present which he bought me for 1 year for BT Sport from August 2013, but I will be continuing to pay for myself for BT Sport from beginning of August when it increases and I do subscribe out of my own money for Sky's full package including Sky Sports and Movies.
    Ian.
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    I have both Sky for TV and Broadband and I will continue to pay BT Sport from August £3.00 extra for HD after having the HD free for 12 months, but I've also paid £12.00 per month since August 2013 to receive BT Sport and I am willing to pay £15.00 per month from August 2014.
    I also have Sky's full package including Sky Sports and Sky Movies.
    Ian.

Same here after all £3 extra isn't exactly going to break the bank.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had it free last year. I probably won't have Sky Sports for the next season (due to their encryption changes) so might as well fork over the £3pm for BT Sport HD and stick with that for now. There's also free football on BBC and ITV for another season at least.
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had it 'free' last year, but this runs out in July (?) I have been advised I have to sign up for BB and Rental for 12 months to keep the SD version free, and still have to pay £3 for the HD version on top., or if I carry on 'monthly' with BB/Rental it's £9.75 pm (SD&HD)
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    When wholesale agreement has been reached
    and I can get it from sky then yes....... until then NO

Best trade a sky go and BT sport name & password with a friend on tablets

until Sky & BT do a deal for the consumer,
    the people who are getting hurt most in all this.
  • TechnoGeekTechnoGeek Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im with BT for broadband & phone, got Sky HD Family pack half price for a year. As from 1st August BT are going to charge me £3 a mth for BT sport in HD i think it"s excellant value for money compared to Sky"s extoranate prices for there sports pack, will be interesting to see what Sky do next year when they lose the European football I.E if they lower there prices or not for the sports pack im not anti Sky just very anti there prices.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I am not going to pay the £3.00 out of principal, and will be cancelling my broadband/line rental with them as well, and finding an alternative supplier. If they are prepared to offer VM customers it on the XL package, then they should be looking after their own customers as well, if not better.
    Forum Member
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    When wholesale agreement has been reached
    and I can get it from sky then yes....... until then NO

Best trade a sky go and BT sport name & password with a friend on tablets

until Sky & BT do a deal for the consumer,
    the people who are getting hurt most in all this.

So unless you can get it from Sky, which will cost more, you'll say no to having it cheaper direct from BT??
    The mind boggles....
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TechnoGeek wrote: »
    Im with BT for broadband & phone, got Sky HD Family pack half price for a year. As from 1st August BT are going to charge me £3 a mth for BT sport in HD i think it"s excellant value for money compared to Sky"s extoranate prices for there sports pack, will be interesting to see what Sky do next year when they lose the European football I.E if they lower there prices or not for the sports pack im not anti Sky just very anti there prices.

But VM customers get if for free with the XL pack, which is the same price as Sky's family pack, and VM customers don't have to be with BT for anything. As a BT customer for Broadband/Phone they want £3.00 extra off you, but don't want anything from VM customers.
  • innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    "Would you pay for BT sport?"

Nope.

Sky Sports is a vastly superior product at much the same price.
  • TechnoGeekTechnoGeek Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »

Nope.

SkySports vastly superior @ roughly the same price your having a right laugh BT sport £3 p/m v SkySports £22 p/m doesnt sound like the same price to me & tell me how is SkySports going to be superior to BT sport next august when it loses the champions league
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I no longer have a landline so would cost me I think £12 a month through sky so i definitely won't be.
  • corh5corh5 Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    With 4K just around the corner isn't it about time HD came as standard across the board, from all suppliers.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TechnoGeek wrote: »
    SkySports vastly superior @ roughly the same price your having a right laugh BT sport £3 p/m v SkySports £22 p/m doesnt sound like the same price to me & tell me how is SkySports going to be superior to BT sport next august when it loses the champions league
    BT will start charging when they get Champions League in 2015/16. No way will it stay the same as it currently does.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, but then I doubt I would pay for any sport channel, unless it was all motor racing and then it depends on the cost.
  • victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But surely it's a case of "Horses for Courses".

Everyone has different needs and access to different services. For instance I can't get VM where I live so am limited to BT or Sky for sport. I don't want any football or cricket or any of Sky's encrypted programming but I do want English Premiership Rugby. My BT bill for anytime phone, unlimited BB and BT TV with free sport is cheaper than I was paying Sky just for TV and Sport 5 years ago. I have NowTV for the odd game like the recent England v New Zealand series and Freesat for general TV. I am always on the lookout here and other sources for a better deal but Sky just doesn't come near at the moment for me. For others who do want what Sky offer the answer will be different.
    Forum Member
    aurichie wrote: »

Nope.

Just...NO!!!
    Same price... Are you having a laugh?!?!?!
    To get SS, you first MUST take an entertainment channels package. THEN you can add SS to it and if you want it in HD, you're talking around £60 a month all in all.
    BT Sport HD, £15 a month and some top quality sport and will be the exclusive UCL home from next year.
    Absolutely laughable!!
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No chance, I have a relative that pays for Infinity & gets the App / website included, the relative in question doesn't like sports, but has given me their login details for me to use to get the channel online for free. Even if they didn't have the service, then I still wouldn't pay the extra, I would just use the same sites for matches as the ones that show 3pm games.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Paid for BT Sport on Sky last footie season. Stopped in May when the season ended.

Moving house in the not too distant future and am planning on getting Virgin Media installed for TV and will get it for free then. Until then, I'll probably not bother due to the £15 connection fee.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Just...NO!!!
    Same price... Are you having a laugh?!?!?!
    To get SS, you first MUST take an entertainment channels package. THEN you can add SS to it and if you want it in HD, you're talking around £60 a month all in all.
    BT Sport HD, £15 a month and some top quality sport and will be the exclusive UCL home from next year.
    Absolutely laughable!!

Do sky still charge extra for HD and people are still prepared to pay extra for HD?

Crazy