Options

Aren't glasses prices extortionate nowadays

Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I suffer from keratoconus which I was diagnosed with only two years ago and now rely on glasses (my keratoconus isn't at the stage at which I need the contacts yet) to see at all times.

Due to the fact keratoconus gets progressively worse over time my prescription keeps changing every six or so months so I need to get both new frames and lenses (you can't just get new lenses in your old frames for some reason?)

Anyway my latest pair which is my fifth pair in over two years cost me over £100 although I paid extra to get a new smudge free lenses which is apparently really handy. I just gets Boots Opticians own make not designer ones (they are ridiculously pricey)

Anyone else suffer from a similar eye problem and keep needing new glasses? its pissing me off bigtime.

Comments

• Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got some glasses for 20 pound at spex4less....on the internet...

Maybe you could try that if your prescription isn't unusual.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try Specsavers. They have glasses from £25 if you're not fussy. (Frames and standard lenses.)

(BTW my first glasses were in 1973. The metal frames I wanted were £20. My pocket money only stretched to £8 plastic ones.)
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,029
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say paying £100 to have decent vision is extortionate personally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    I have also been diagnosed with keratoconus and my prescription is changing 6-12 monthly. I have been referred to an opthalmologist to be formally diagnosed. He said my options are contact lenses or if the keratoconus is found to be progressing rapidly he will recommend collagen cross-linking surgery. I am really hoping I can get away with contact lenses.

I do sympathise OP, very frustrating. I used to have great vision until I started high dose long term steroid therapy which has wrecked my vision.

ETA: I use specsavers. They're much cheaper and great choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say paying £100 to have decent vision is extortionate personally.

It is when you don't have a lot of money to start with.

I do appreciate how the glasses help me btw
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have severe short sight and astigmatism. I've worn glasses since I was seven.

I also have middle aged crap going on.

I have to have varifocals of good spec to see, and the lenses HAVE to be thinned to be wearable.

Mine cost between £350 (five years ago) and £390 (two years ago). These were ON OFFER.

The frames were less than thirty pounds both times.

It's disgusting that I have to do this when it's not my fault in the slightest that I can't see.

But it is how it is.>:(
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    you can't just get new lenses in your old frames for some reason?

Why not? When I last had my eyes tested I was told I needed a new prescription but they simply sent my old glasses off to have the new lenses fitted. Obviously the down side is you have no glasses whilst they're being fitted, but it does save on the cost of frames.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they're cheaper than ever. They used to be extortionate.

There's excellent value online.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    No they're cheaper than ever. They used to be extortionate.

There's excellent value online.

Only if you have a very easy prescription.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simi89 wrote: »
    I have also been diagnosed with keratoconus and my prescription is changing 6-12 monthly. I have been referred to an opthalmologist to be formally diagnosed. He said my options are contact lenses or if the keratoconus is found to be progressing rapidly he will recommend collagen cross-linking surgery. I am really hoping I can get away with contact lenses.

I do sympathise OP, very frustrating. I used to have great vision until I started high dose long term steroid therapy which has wrecked my vision.

Its a horrible disease to have isn't it just horrible. I know when I need new lenses as I get this "spacey" almost out of body experience in my head which must be too do with the strain of the wrong lenses on my brain. It freaks me out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Why not? When I last had my eyes tested I was told I needed a new prescription but they simply sent my old glasses off to have the new lenses fitted. Obviously the down side is you have no glasses whilst they're being fitted, but it does save on the cost of frames.

Boots Opticians don't do it then? I only stay with them as they have all my history from the beginning.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,029
    Forum Member
    It is when you don't have a lot of money to start with.

I do appreciate how the glasses help me btw

Don't get me wrong I wasn't saying you don't appreciate how they help, just giving my reason why I don't see them as extortionate.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boots Opticians don't do it then? I only stay with them as they have all my history from the beginning.

I don't know. I go to a local optician not a chain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I don't know. I go to a local optician not a chain.

I've been with locals, Boots, and specsavers.

Specsavers are very, very good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    Its a horrible disease to have isn't it just horrible. I know when I need new lenses as I get this "spacey" almost out of body experience in my head which must be too do with the strain of the wrong lenses on my brain. It freaks me out.

It really is. I was really quite gutted to be told they thought I had keratoconus.
    For a while they thought I had cataracts due to my vision deteriorating so rapidly which is daunting yes but least I could have had cataract surgery to resolve it? They don't think it's cataracts now.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,177
    Forum Member
    I need a new pair, but I'm going to buy mine after Christmas. I like the designer ones so yeah they're not the cheapest.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I suffer from keratoconus which I was diagnosed with only two years ago and now rely on glasses (my keratoconus isn't at the stage at which I need the contacts yet) to see at all times.

Due to the fact keratoconus gets progressively worse over time my prescription keeps changing every six or so months so I need to get both new frames and lenses (you can't just get new lenses in your old frames for some reason?)

Anyway my latest pair which is my fifth pair in over two years cost me over £100 although I paid extra to get a new smudge free lenses which is apparently really handy. I just gets Boots Opticians own make not designer ones (they are ridiculously pricey)

Anyone else suffer from a similar eye problem and keep needing new glasses? its pissing me off bigtime.
    Are you paying 'extortionate prices' for the frames or the lenses?

As people have said, frames can be as little as £20.
    I think specsavers start from £25 and then you have 2-for-1 deals and such.

If your prescription/lenses is expensive then that's a different matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Are you paying 'extortionate prices' for the frames or the lenses?

As people have said, frames can be as little as £20.
    I think specsavers start from £25 and then you have 2-for-1 deals and such.

If your prescription/lenses is expensive then that's a different matter.

The frames for that price in Boots are minging though like something from the 1970s lol

I'd rather go without for a while and have nice looking frames.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simi89 wrote: »
    It really is. I was really quite gutted to be told they thought I had keratoconus.
    For a while they thought I had cataracts due to my vision deteriorating so rapidly which is daunting yes but least I could have had cataract surgery to resolve it? They don't think it's cataracts now.

I hope it all works out and the contacts are fine for you.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would be nice if the online opticians had frames searchable by weight. Don't like clunky national health specs
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I got some nice glasses from Glasses Direct for £25, and they do buy one, get one free for £55, the second pair can be given a dark tint and worn as sunglasses. I only need glasses for driving though, and I don't have a complicated prescription.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The frames for that price in Boots are minging though like something from the 1970s lol

I'd rather go without for a while and have nice looking frames.
    Then don't use boots.

If I was skint and needed new frames then the first few here I would find acceptable
    http://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/mens-glasses#f[genders]=male&f[price_range]=[25+TO+49]&f[colors]=47

If I was getting new lenses every six months then I wouldn't buy new frames.
    Again, if boots don't offer that then go somewhere else.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    I remember when I first started needing glasses (about 30 years ago) it cost about £50-70 a time for standard lenses!

Specsavers etc have, along with the advances in technology* driven down the cost of glasses massively, as has been said Specsavers can do complete glasses for about £40ish.

If you've got a medical condition that results in you requiring new glasses on a regular basis I believe you can get NHS vouchers on a more regular basis (rather than the normal ~ 2 years), but it may require your consultant to sign something, i can't remember the details but my dad has/had major problems and I think would end up getting two free pairs a year with a very complex lens (one reading, one normal daily use), as his eyes changed so much.
    In his case he goes to the same opticians every time (I think it's Boots now, but was D&A), and the optician there apparently thinks he's an interesting case (not least because he now has one lens frosted to blank it out and I think is the only person who goes there that needs that done).

*I think lenses used to have to be largely finished by a skilled tech, now it's almost all done by a machine operated by a tech who will be watching over multiple machines that work faster than they used to (IIRC the lenses used to be ground by a tech sat at a machine, now it's very much automated).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Then don't use boots.

If I was skint and needed new frames then the first few here I would find acceptable
    http://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/mens-glasses#f[genders]=male&f[price_range]=[25+TO+49]&f[colors]=47

If I was getting new lenses every six months then I wouldn't buy new frames.
    Again, if boots don't offer that then go somewhere else.

I like Boots though I like my optician and they know all my history from the start etc

Its just the prices I don't like but I guess I'll just need to deal with it. I can't imagine it to be much different at other major opticians.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    I remember when I first started needing glasses (about 30 years ago) it cost about £50-70 a time for standard lenses!

Specsavers etc have, along with the advances in technology* driven down the cost of glasses massively, as has been said Specsavers can do complete glasses for about £40ish.

If you've got a medical condition that results in you requiring new glasses on a regular basis I believe you can get NHS vouchers on a more regular basis (rather than the normal ~ 2 years), but it may require your consultant to sign something, i can't remember the details but my dad has/had major problems and I think would end up getting two free pairs a year with a very complex lens (one reading, one normal daily use), as his eyes changed so much.
    In his case he goes to the same opticians every time (I think it's Boots now, but was D&A), and the optician there apparently thinks he's an interesting case (not least because he now has one lens frosted to blank it out and I think is the only person who goes there that needs that done).

*I think lenses used to have to be largely finished by a skilled tech, now it's almost all done by a machine operated by a tech who will be watching over multiple machines that work faster than they used to (IIRC the lenses used to be ground by a tech sat at a machine, now it's very much automated).

You can't for keratoconus you only get free help with the contact lenses which at this stage I don't need.