marrying animals

rasborasbo Posts: 1,606
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What is your opinion on marrying pets? and should homosexual pets have the same rights as male / female ones?

the pictures in the article are cute :)

Would you consider doing this? how much do you think is the right amount to spend on a pet ceremony?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4320275/Animal-registrar-performs-marriages-for-pampered-pets.html
CATS and dogs no longer need to miss out on the happiness of a wedding day — thanks to a matchmaking “animal registrar”.

Ann Clark, 55, has performed dozens of wedding ceremonies for pampered pets who want to tie the knot.

Basic ceremonies start from £150, but some owners are splashing out thousands of their pets’ special day, ordering in caterers, professional photographers and even chauffer driven limos.

Ann, 55, who also runs a cattery at her bungalow in Desborough, Northants, said: “Animal weddings are a lot of fun.

“The basic fee includes using the wedding venue in my garden, and I also help to write the vows. But people usually want to spend a lot more than that.

“One lady spent almost £20,000 on her dogs’ wedding – although that was very extravagant, and included a harpist and a six-foot chocolate fountain.

"Most people will spend a few hundred - possibly a few thousand.

“The actual wedding days are lovely - it’s beautiful when you see animals that clearly adore each other being joined together.

“The owners can get very emotional too - there are often a lot of guests and it’s a lovely day out for everyone, just like a human wedding.”

Ann — who is not an official registrar — started to perform the marriages four years ago, and although there is no legal basis for them it hasn’t stopped scores of people signing up for the ceremonies.

She added: “I was on holiday in Liverpool and heard about a man who was performing pet weddings - I immediately thought it was a great idea.

“When I was a child, I always used to pretend that my pets were getting married - I think it’s something that a lot of children do - just some people never grow out of it!

“I started advertising the weddings on my website, and it just took off - suddenly lots of people wanted their pets to get married too.

A typical pet wedding starts with a champagne breakfast at Ann’s house for human guests - while the bridal party enjoy milk and water.

As the service begins, the bride is walked or carried onto a pagoda in the centre of the garden, to meet her groom, where the wedding ceremony takes place.

And after they’ve been pronounced husband and wife, the pair have their photographs taken for the wedding album - before tucking into a huge bowl of treats to celebrate.

Ann added: “Some people think I’m bonkers for overseeing pet weddings, but I don’t think it does any harm.”

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I am concerned marriage is between consenting adults while this may not harm the animals it debases marriage so I would say it does a lot of harm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can't be much fun for the poor mites being dressed up to the nines and forced to pose for photos just to please people with more money than sense.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is absolutely mental.

And that's coming from someone who is a self confessed crazy cat lady, often found having conversations with her cats and has been known to spend more on their dinner than her own.

So that says alot.
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reminds me of a Simpsons quote from when Marge lost it in "Fear of Flying"
    "I just realized we never had a wedding for the cat and the dog. They've been living in sin."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care what other people spend their monety on but marrying your pets to one another seems bonkers to me. They don't care. Just seems like a big ole waste.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Some people have so much money that they don't know what to spend it on and there are plenty of people with ideas very willing to take it off them.

I'm quite fond of our cat (purely platonic) should I propose marriage or is it not allowed ... and if not, why not.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap.
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Bonkers..but then what one person considers normal another may not..
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,766
    Forum Member
    If animals could consent to marriage i'd be all for it, as it is.. they cannot.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Pampered pets? I'm sure they love getting dressed up :rolleyes:

Quite funny though :o
  • AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These marriages don't last very long. Dogs tend not to take their vows very seriously.

I was at one recently where the groom was caught humping a leg just minutes after vowing to stay faithful.

Needless to say they were divorced just a short time later.