Options

Dog rescue centres

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
Forum Member
Hi all

I've recently changed my job and will be working from home now, so I can finally fulfil my dream to have a little dog. My partner and I would like to get one from a rescue centre but we have heard that RSPCA won't rehome dogs into flats. We live in a flat, we have a large balcony and are across the street from the beach so have virtually instant access to the great outdoors. There are 3 dogs in our building and the others don't have balcony access. We spoke to the neighbours about their dogs but they have bought them, rather than rehomed them, so didn't have to go through home-checks.

Does anyone know if the Dogs Trust would consider rehoming into a flat? Or would we be better off approaching a smaller, local rescue place who might be more flexible? I really wouldn't want to buy a 'new' dog when there are so many 'used' ones needing a home.

Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure the Dog Trust do rehome to people in flats as I have a few friends who have adopted from DT and they live in flats.

Have you a DT centre any where near you ? You could try dropping in and asking them whilst having a little "look" around ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Yes there's a Dogs Trust not far from here, thanks for the tip re your friends, it's good to know - I didn't want to turn up and get all excited about having a new friend and then be turned down for not having a garden :)
  • Options
    wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that you work from home will be a big plus for you
    too.
    Good luck and let us know what they say. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Try a local shelter, rather than a named one - be honest with them and I'm sure they will help. Not sure if jerry green go down as far as you, they are fab, but think the closest to you would be lincs
  • Options
    oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had no luck trying to rehome a dog from a shelter when I lived in a flat :( Everyone I asked just said flat out no, often followed by "have you thought about a cat?".
    I hope you have more luck than me!
  • Options
    sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Luck Monkey's Mother, hope it works out for you..

Have you moved from Nottingham, only asking as you said you have the beach on your doorstep, if so you might be luckier than in a Town/City with rehoming centres.