DivX network media player

kevkev Posts: 21,075
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm sick of faffing with my Laptop and the associated dongles and general arseing about with trying to watch DivX recordings on my TV (finally working my way though archiving the old VHS collection!) so have decided to get a proper box to sit under the TV.

The requirements I have are:-

1. Must be able to stream from my Buffalo Linkstation (TwonkyVision server is an option) This will be over WiFi but I have a bridge for the XBOX and a spare hub so RJ45 ethernet is fine.

2. My PC WILL be switched off when watching TV so anything that requires the PC to be turned on is a no go area

3. RGB SCART and TOSLINK Audio output

4. DivX certified

5. Less than £200inc from a reputable retailer

6. Should be quite - the fan in my Amp and the LinkStation are bad enough already!

I would like:-

1. Able to connect a USB HDD directly (even better if it could present this a networked drive ;))

2. Able to connect USB Thumb driver and play DivXes off that

3. As 2 but via DVD+R/RW (The + is the important bit here)

4. Can play my MP3's, also on the Buffalo.

The Buffalo LinkTheater looks to be a pretty attractive option, but some of the reviews are a bit hit and miss, plus it would be nice to have a proper Upnp media player in case i add more players in the future when i finally get me own place.

Anyone got any recommendations or what to avoid?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I might be wrong but I don’t think you’ll currently find what your looking for, the ‘best fits’ I can think of are available here:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productlister.aspx?GroupID=399

The Kiss network player looks a good option (as it has a built in hard drive) the Lite-on network player looks good and very affordable (£77.55), but your PC will need to be on.

A Chipped Xbox will almost fit the bill but tend to make the most noise.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    You already have an Xbox - so get it chipped and a bigger hard drive fitted then use Xbox Media Centre. Best on the market.

My xbox is plenty quiet but if you are that bothered there are solutions from the cheap (replace the fan) to the expensive (silent passive cooling).
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The KISS Network players look interesting, i wonder if they are Upnp compatible - TwonkyVision does't mention them at all and I am struggling with Google. If they can do this and artn't noisey sods then they will do :)

The DP-588 looks perfect, but is £270inc so is a bit over budget, but if they can play from TwonkyVision then the KiSS DP-1500 would be good enough.

I notice the DP-588 has an FTP server - great :), but what about the 1504? That seams to require the crappy software.

As i'm wanting to use the XBOX for XBOX live i'm not going to chip it as it might be blocked (and it's a noisey bugger)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote:
    As i'm wanting to use the XBOX for XBOX live i'm not going to chip it as it might be blocked (and it's a noisey bugger)

Some of the new replacement BIOS's will trick games into thinking their network cable is unplugged, therefore preventing them from going online if you've accidently left the chip enabled.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Well you have three options for xbox live and a mod chip.

1. Software disable mod when you want to go live

2. Hardware disable of mod (physical switch on the xbox case) for live

3. Automatic disable - as PhilipM says - will not let you join live if the mod is on.

The problem being is that if you replace the HDD that can also be detected and get you banned.

A new Xbox can be had for less than £100 now. Buy one for media center and one for live.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote:
    The problem being is that if you replace the HDD that can also be detected and get you banned.

I hadn't heard of that. Are you sure? I know that the standard bios will not work unless the hard drive is locked. Some hard drives cannot be locked, and so the standard BIOS can never be used, but I've not heard of the Live service being able to detect it when locked.

Oh, and Live isn't the only online service. Try:
    http://www.xbconnect.com/
    http://www.teamxlink.co.uk

I hope I've got that second link right. Their website is down at the moment, but I'm pretty sure these guys also had a Linux daemon available; the first is Windows only. You need to be running this daemon on your computer for it to work, but the advantage is you can play with a chipped console, and play LAN games which otherwise do not work over the internet. Oh, and it's free. Xlink can be configured through an interface in Media Centre, rather than on the PC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As my XBOX is still in warrenty I wont be tampering with that, and wouldn't want to spend over £100 on something not designed for the task (and the XBOX is butt ugly anyway)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kev, did you get one in the end?

I'm thinking of buying one myself, and I'm probably going to get the DP-1504.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pingu wrote:
    Kev, did you get one in the end?

I'm thinking of buying one myself, and I'm probably going to get the DP-1504.
    There's an interesting KISS one coming up, with DVB-T tuners, built in harddisk the like. I'm waiting to see what that one is like.