Resolutiongate - CoD: Ghosts PS4 is 720p in Single Player.

Comments

• sithlord3ksithlord3k Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The submission packages can easily have different support configs for both retail and QA/press. There is no reason to think they weren't playing 1080 native.

Fair enough, but how common is it for retail versions to be inferior to unfinished code ?
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    So the versions that reviewers played at the review events were 720p for the campaign on BOTH versions (according to Gaf), and nobody noticed that the PS4 was outputting 720p but they still claim that it looked superior even though technically it wasn't (at the time)? Wow, reminds me why I don't put much stock in what reviewers say...bravo Activision, you've successfully trolled reviewers everywhere :p

And while all this Resolutiongate stuff goes off, EA confirm that NFS: Rivals runs at 1080p on both new consoles. I think it's quite clear here that it's Infinity Ward that are just crap at developing anything that isn't an Xbox 360 game...
    How good a game looks is much much more than just resolution. Particle effect, colour gamut, AF, AA, quality of up scale and many other things all affect the superiority of an image or not. So even if they were both running 720p one can still be a superior image than the other.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sithlord3k wrote: »
    Fair enough, but how common is it for retail versions to be inferior to unfinished code ?

Its only inferior on paper. Literally a tick box as part on the admin/submission process, which just happens to go into the mastering pipeline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    munta wrote: »
    How good a game looks is much much more than just resolution. Particle effect, colour gamut, AF, AA, quality of up scale and many other things all affect the superiority of an image or not. So even if they were both running 720p one can still be a superior image than the other.

Yes I agree, but from what I've read it seems as though both versions have parity when it comes to everything except the resolution, infact I've even seen some reviewers/previewers claim that the X1 version has slightly better lighting effects.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    IGN could not tell that the SP was 720p; they ignored the evidence of their senses and reported what Activision said as official truth.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Dan27 wrote: »
    I think there are a lot of reviewers eating crow at the moment. I don't want to say Polygon
    BUT I WILL :D

Why would Polygon be 'eating crow' i would say that they are one of the few reviewers to come out of this looking good.

They got destroyed on GAF for saying this-
    Polygon wrote:
    The two versions look nearly identical. Viewing the Xbox One release next to the PS4 , I had difficulty telling them apart. It's possible that the PS4 version looked somewhat sharper, but that may have just been my imagination after confirming the hard resolution difference.
    ,and they only marked the ps4 version down for framerate issues.

Reviewers such as IGN however, should be embarrassed as they said this
    IGN wrote:
    When comparing the PS4 and Xbox One versions side-by-side, there’s little to no variation in textures and effects, but there is a discernible difference in resolution. While both are displayed at 1080p, the Xbox One version upscales the game from 720p resolution. In contrast, the PS4 version runs natively at 1080p, which makes character models, weapons, and environments look noticeably sharper and more detailed. The difference is especially apparent on larger-sized TVs, where pixel density weighs more heavily in picture quality.
    :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JakeMurrin wrote: »
    IGN could not tell that the SP was 720p; they ignored the evidence of their senses and reported what Activision said as official truth.
    That is not really how it works.

As munta has just pointed out, an identical resolution doesn't mean an identical picture.

If you're playing a game you can't look at it and go 'yep, that's 880x564'. To do that you need to grab a frame and go pixel counting.

The IGN guy said the resolution helps the PS4 look better. So he can see a difference between the two, but it turns out that it might not be for the reason he thought it was.

It doesn't mean it doesn't look better, it just means it looks better for other reasons than being 1080p.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    Why would Polygon be 'eating crow' i would say that they are one of the few reviewers to come out of this looking good.

As I mentioned earlier, the PS4 might have looked better due to a superior upscaler. They could have just attributed that to being incorrectly informed that the PS4 was running native 1080p.

Basically I'm taking all reviews with a pinch of salt until the teething troubles have been ironed out.
  • sithlord3ksithlord3k Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does this also mean that the retail game may not actually have frame rate issues ?
    Forum Member
    As I mentioned earlier, the PS4 might have looked better due to a superior upscaler. They could have just attributed that to being incorrectly informed that the PS4 was running native 1080p.

Basically I'm taking all reviews with a pinch of salt until the teething troubles have been ironed out.

Yeah, i agree with you. Maybe it was sub conscious, but I'm guilty of thinking the Ps4 looked noticeably shaper from the video reviews i saw. However the part about the difference between the two being more apparent on bigger screens, we know now is bull.

In other news, need for speed rivals has been confirmed to be 1080p on both systems.good news for all
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not even just upscalers. There is more to the output resolution leaving the machine such as texture ram, shadow ram, or core usability etc. Much more fundamental stuff.
  • ToytownAssassinToytownAssassin Posts: 162
    Forum Member

except polygon say they only looked at the multiplayer and IGN say they've had it confirmed they reviewed 1080 sp version despite their vid being at 720.

All very funny.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    IGN's review was of the 1080p version http://youtu.be/N3KB0CIRLnk
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lesson to be learned here, if you don't want to look a right dick when the truth comes out, don't be such a sad little fan boy in the first instance.

This whole episode just shows that people only see what they want to see.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The run up to the launch of the next gen consoles is going to be remembered for all the wrong reasons. What a mess.
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSI-uk wrote: »
    Lesson to be learned here, if you don't want to look a right dick when the truth comes out, don't be such a sad little fan boy in the first instance.

This whole episode just shows that people only see what they want to see.

Pretty much this. The gaming community is eating itself in fanwars and one-up manship.

For me personally all this obessing about resolution is going too far. If it's getting to the point where you have to use pixel counters to tell the difference between resolutions then clearly it doesn't really matter.
  • ToytownAssassinToytownAssassin Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    starsailor wrote: »
    Pretty much this. The gaming community is eating itself in fanwars and one-up manship.

For me personally all this obessing about resolution is going too far. If it's getting to the point where you have to use pixel counters to tell the difference between resolutions then clearly it doesn't really matter.

It was the gaming community that noticed the vids and screenshots were the same res. Not the reviewers. Also people were pixel counting not to tell the difference but because there was no difference other than the messed up colour caused by IGN putting the xbox one version in colour blind mode. 1080 is more than double the pixels of 720. If the difference is not easily visible there is something wrong. That or you are deliberately sitting too far away to see it or something stupid like that.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member

True. If IGN and others did it, then they deserve bagging.

The fact Polygon did it was typical given their previous track record.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    It is quite likely that the flag that tells the console to output at 720p or 1080p was set incorrectly on the PS4 retail version of ghosts It may have been the case that press releases for COD ghosts was sent one with correct flags set. I find it bizarre though they would intentionally output in 720p for generally the less resource intensive single player mode and output in 1080p for the more resource intensive multiplayer mode (and where keeping a consistent framerate is a bigger concern)

Ghostbusters on the PS3 had its resolution changed in a patch
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »

Err, do you know that it was this community you speak of that noticed something was fishy, right?

And are you also aware that pixel counting is always how it has been done.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Fanboyism has been around since the dawn of time.

Anyone here remember the Spectrum vs Commodore vs Amstrad three way triple threat rumble?
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the current US airing episode of Southpark (a two parter, concluding next week) is a cross-parody of Game of thrones and the Xbox one/PS4 console war. One to watch out for, their Buck Rogers/Nintendo Wii launch one was a highlight.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched that episode the other day, it's a two-parter as well :p

My favourite line in it is from Cartman "Let these Sony f***s wallow in their limited voice-control functionality." :D:p
    Forum Member
    Asmo wrote: »

Watched the episode myself.

Cartman: "Do you know what you get for pre ordering a game?....A big d**k in your mouth"