Chris Moyles Loses Listeners - Why?

Comments

• pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    If he is loosing listeners I would say it is down to him being too old for the radio one audience and that he hasn't really changed his act for years. Not sure what he can do after radio. Thats another subject though
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he is loosing listeners I would say it is down to him being too old for the radio one audience and that he hasn't really changed his act for years. Not sure what he can do after radio. Thats another subject though

He should move over to radio 2 then. Instead of moving to Commercial radio. Moving to Drivetime, with Simon Mayo hosting a new weekend breakfast show?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Is he homophobic though?

He is good friends with Scott Mills so probably not
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    He should move over to radio 2 then. Instead of moving to Commercial radio. Moving to Drivetime, with Simon Mayo hosting a new weekend breakfast show?

Chris Evans is on Radio 2 so there would be no point. Evans does it much better.
  • Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oli27 wrote: »
    He is good friends with Scott Mills so probably not

Plus the fact that his producer who he's worked with for 7 years is Gay.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    His homophobia puts people off.

Oh FFS! What are you basing that wild and untrue claim on? Was it the Will Young incident - the one he was completely cleared over - or the many references he makes about Aled?

Don't you see - IT'S AN ACT.

Oh, and I'm a gayer, by the way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of my family and friends think Chris has lost it?

Some say he's got a large head and ego?

I say give the guy a chance maybe therapy live on BBC 3 to boost ratings?

:confused:

Then again he's probably a C N U T !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    He lost 500,000 listens in 2008 and then put them all back on and increased his figures later on. It happens every year as a cycle and it is just an opportunity for some UNinformed people to do some Moyle's bashing :yawn:
  • ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Perhaps listeners want shows where presenters just shut up and play some music?
    In that case, maybe they should listen to one of the many carbon-copied breakfast shows that consist of 3 songs - link - adverts - repeat...
    The Chris Moyles Show is unique in the way it has the team having banter around the mics - even the newscasters stick around for the fun.
    I, and many people I know, love waking up gently to, what is almost like a bunch of old mates having a laugh, rather than the same old pop tunes over and over...
    But saying that, this week I've been looking forward to listening to R1 in the mornings all due to Scott Mills sitting in for Chris. He should so do the morning slot!
    I've been dreading this week...no breakfast show to listen to.
    Sara was excellent last week; she carried on excellently in Chris' place, but Scott is horrendous. He does just what I described above.
    His homophobia puts people off.
    :rolleyes: This old chestnut again.
    An unproven, unfounded, frankly slanderous allegation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I have listened to the radio 1 breakfast show for over 25 years now and I dont think ney I have never heard a better breakfast show in all that time than the Chris Moyles show. I think all you people who say he is arrogant or homophobic dont deserve good radio because you obviously dont know what it is. Crack on listening to generic fm with robot dj's and leave us who actually get the show and act to enjoy some real broadcasting talent. Btw, anyone who says he hasnt got a talent for radio realy shouldnt comment because you obviously dont understand radio
  • KFAKFA Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris is brilliant. I don't think he is in the least arrogent, homophobic, rude etc. It's all an act and he plays it well. He's a very talented broadcaster.

Don't forget, he's only 24 :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    If he is loosing listeners I would say it is down to him being too old for the radio one audience

The same must then apply to Scott Mills, Sara Cox, Edith Bowman, Jo Whiley, Annie Nightingale, Westwood, Pete Tong, etc.. etc..

Age has nothing to do with it.

Honestly, I don't understand why people are so desperate for Moyles to come off the R1 breakfast show.

Wait until Andy Parfitt and Ben Cooper decide that what we all really want to hear first thing in the morning is The Radio 1 Breakfast Show with Fearne Cotton & Matt Edmondson. Then you'll have something to moan about! :p
  • hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nugsey05 wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't understand why people are so desperate for Moyles to come off the R1 breakfast show.

Wait until Andy Parfitt and Ben Cooper decide that what we all really want to hear first thing in the morning is The Radio 1 Breakfast Show with Fearne Cotton & Matt Edmondson. Then you'll have something to moan about! :p
    Very true! People don't know they have something good until it's gone. People forget he's being a proper radio presenter and a very good one where he engages the listener (good or bad response). That breed doesn't seem to exist very much any more.

Talking about Fearne and Matt, they're on now. Fearne is talking about crap and Matt is err'ing and umm'ing all the time. Both with radio personalities like cardboard. Could we have some more Uni breed presenters such as Greg please and less radio wannabe's like Fearne who want a week off every 4 weeks? That's my plea out to the bosses of Radio 1.
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would say it's down to it being the RAJAR which covers the summer, when a large part of the audience aren't at school/college/uni/work and aren't having to get up early enough to listen to a breakfast show.

This really isn't a difficult concept. It happens every year. And every year there is a non story published by one of the papers, and every year there are uninformed comments on here.

The next RAJAR they'll be back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    ads84 wrote: »
    I've been dreading this week...no breakfast show to listen to.
    Sara was excellent last week; she carried on excellently in Chris' place, but Scott is horrendous. He does just what I described above.

Scott is so much more suited to drive then Breakfast and Coxy was really good, and they complicated it more by putting Scott on Breakfast, you could have left coxy there and kept Scott on Drive :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the school holidays in that quarter. The school run isn't happening then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oli27 wrote: »
    Scott is so much more suited to drive then Breakfast and Coxy was really good, and they complicated it more by putting Scott on Breakfast, you could have left coxy there and kept Scott on Drive :mad:

But Coxy was good with the Moyles team. The Moyles team were on holiday thus leaving her solo in the second week so probably not as good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Not sure why the show is called 'The Chris Moyles Show with Scott Mills' as it barely resembles the Moyles show. Yes I guess we had the golden hour today, but no Mcfly Day, a feature that's always been popular with the audience. No cheesy song either and every so often he seems to make what appears to be a sly dig towards Moyles. Way too much music as well.

Would much prefer Coxy covering in future. Or perhaps let Greg have a shot at it.
  • Tiger 8Tiger 8 Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say it's down to it being the RAJAR which covers the summer, when a large part of the audience aren't at school/college/uni/work and aren't having to get up early enough to listen to a breakfast show.

This really isn't a difficult concept. It happens every year. And every year there is a non story published by one of the papers, and every year there are uninformed comments on here.

The next RAJAR they'll be back.

Oh at last a bit of sense...

Durrr..all these attacks on the Chris M and E..and drops in figs..and of course some believe in the god that is RAJAR..going out with their diaries that most people can't be bothered to complete ..and the target audience is in bed anyway for some of the summer months?..

How stupid is that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    last time i listened to him it was just like being sat on a bus near a bunch of students all trying slightly too hard to be "the zany one"
    that said at the moment i don't think that theres many radio stations aimed at my demographic.
    the commercial/gold stations all play the same 15 songs all day everyday radio 2 is not really my thing , although i don't mind it but can't stand ken "embarrasing dad" bruce.
  • ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    I have listened to the radio 1 breakfast show for over 25 years now and I dont think ney I have never heard a better breakfast show in all that time than the Chris Moyles show. I think all you people who say he is arrogant or homophobic dont deserve good radio because you obviously dont know what it is. Crack on listening to generic fm with robot dj's and leave us who actually get the show and act to enjoy some real broadcasting talent. Btw, anyone who says he hasnt got a talent for radio realy shouldnt comment because you obviously dont understand radio

Amen to that.
    Post of the day my friends.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I find him infantile and self-serving most of the time but there is some talent in there somewhere, albeit often smothered by his ego. It's like the kid at school who gets a laugh and then goes too far in trying to get another one.

I get a lift to work and have to listen and am often lucky if I hear one song in the 20 minute journey. Like former incumbent Chris Evans, Moyles has been unable to keep his ego out of the equation and the show is often a torrent of name-dropping and back-slapping interrupted occasionally by an obviously rehearsed/staged spot of "spontaneity".

Sara Cox is at least natural and often lets the listeners or others take centre stage. That's certainly not Moyles' style - the focus must be on him or he'll just wrestle it back inarticulately with another gem out of his well-thumbed copy of "How To Get Attention - A Guide For 14 Year Old Boys".

At least Chris Evans grew up to some extent and his better qualities have returned to the fore. Not sure if Chris Moyles has anything else to fall back on should the nation tire of his current act...

The Sloth
  • old pilotold pilot Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Chris Moyles entertaining and I'm 60!

Give the guy a break.

This is nearly 2011. What do you want?

Noel Edmonds..Mike Read..Mike Smith?
  • Tiger 8Tiger 8 Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris M is a talent ..those that do not get that go off to Heart..the LCD of Broadcasting..

If I and my car full in the mornings ..in between all the hurry and rush can somehow be able to laugh and engage with a show in the mornings..which we do..then it has to be good...
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    old pilot wrote: »
    I find Chris Moyles entertaining and I'm 60!

Give the guy a break.

This is nearly 2011. What do you want?

Noel Edmonds..Mike Read..Mike Smith?

I'd rather have those three fed to lions, but that's another story...

What's 2011 got to do with it? He's not funny consistently enough and neither is he engaging, original or vibrant.

We want fresh ideas, cutting humour, a few decent songs and a new format. This tired gang-style approach just illustrates that Moyles couldn't hold a show together on his own. We shouldn't go back to the dreadful DJ's of the 70s/80s either - a whole new approach is needed methinks...

The Sloth