Humax HDR1000S 1TB

ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Reading the user reviews on Amazon there seems to be a lot of happy users, but one or two negative niggles.

Some of the negativity can be put down to user error (recording buffering and so on), but one or two are slightly more worrying.

1) Faulty signal to one the inputs (supposedly a known issue to Humax).

2) Recordings disappearing and re-appearing.

These two seem to be reoccurring in a few reviews as recently March.

Have these issues been resolved with any firmware updates ?, I know only too well that companies can take months to get things bedded down, being an LG user.
:D

Comments

• REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunW wrote: »
    Reading the user reviews on Amazon there seems to be a lot of happy users, but one or two negative niggles.

Some of the negativity can be put down to user error (recording buffering and so on), but one or two are slightly more worrying.

1) Faulty signal to one the inputs (supposedly a known issue to Humax).

2) Recordings disappearing and re-appearing.

These two seem to be reoccurring in a few reviews as recently March.

Have these issues been resolved with any firmware updates ?, I know only too well that companies can take months to get things bedded down, being an LG user.
    :D

The HDR-1000S currently only shows a signal on active tuners. This is not a problem.

Very occasionally just after boot us the recording list is blank (Happened twice in the time I have has the unit (One of the first). A restart fixes it. No doubt this will be attended to in the next update,

According to a freesat moderator the next update was planned in two monthly - so should not be very long.
  • ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading another forum (where one or two of you Guys on this forum seem to post) there does seem to be one or two minor issues, so I take that on the software side its still a 'work in progress', like most technology nowadays.

Trusted Reviews gave the machine a blinding review, but then the first poster in the comments section ripped it a part.

I can live with minor issues if I know that they are being worked on.
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunW wrote: »
    Reading another forum (where one or two of you Guys on this forum seem to post) there does seem to be one or two minor issues, so I take that on the software side its still a 'work in progress', like most technology nowadays.

Trusted Reviews gave the machine a blinding review, but then the first poster in the comments section ripped it a part.

I can live with minor issues if I know that they are being worked on.

In my view, what is left is very minor. The latest firmware is 1.00.40 is in production but has not been released (Version 1.00.37 is the last released version) - It appears they want to bundle more changes first.

Edit: Just looked at that review comment. 4 Months ago [Original software] - I can't understand how he thinks the picture quality is better on his Foxsat - The HDR-1000S's picture is far far better.
  • ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply's, If I leave the Sky platform in the next month or two I think this is the kit I'm going to go for.
  • IanLIanL Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    My new 1000s (Grade A from Humax Direct) emerged from the box absolutely pristine, booted and configured without a hitch, running 1.00.40 and all is well. I'm delighted with it.

You do see lots of problems here, so it's nice to report a success.
  • whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

Just picked up a brand new 1tb version from Debenhams for £238.00.

How much are the grade a ones ?

Dave
  • youddiphyouddiph Posts: 956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IanL wrote: »

long did it take to arrive? Are humax direct good at communicating dispatch information?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hi

Thanks for the reply.......not too sure if Debenhams still have them at £238 but Amazon are around that price also.......probably worth the extra £20 for a brand new unit....Debenhams delivered the next day - ordered Fri afternoon 2pm - delivered Saturday at 9am.

Dave
    Forum Member
    youddiph wrote: »
    long did it take to arrive? Are humax direct good at communicating dispatch information?

It depends where you live. UK Mainland 2,3 or 4 days (you choose).

They email you and, on the day, they give you a time slot. It's all on the website - just go through the ordering process (all but the last step) to see.
  • ian-dian-d Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 500GB is available £229.95 at satbuyer, you have to pay delivery but comes with the 2 year warranty. Worth the extra tenner or so over graded.
  • Skylover4lifeSkylover4life Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you register within 30 day of getting the product you should get 2 year warranty anyway.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product.php?gid=135&pid=6#
    Warranty Registrations
    You automatically have a one year warranty on your New Humax product.
    To upgrade to a 2 year warranty absolutely free, please register within 30 days of purchase of your new Humax product.
    Warranty registration is only valid for new products and the additional warranty is not included for Refurbished, Graded, or Manager's special products.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you register within 30 day of getting the product you should get 2 year warranty anyway.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product.php?gid=135&pid=6#

Grade A refurbished products don't get a Humax 2yr warranty. You still get your rights under SOGA regs with Humax being the retailer in this case.
    Forum Member
    Grade A refurbished products don't get a Humax 2yr warranty. You still get your rights under SOGA regs with Humax being the retailer in this case.

How long would that be, Graham?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually the eu say 2 years, hence apple changing their warranties recently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Depends on what the problem is. The Humax warranty is outside the Sale Of Goods which only applies to the retailer supplying the goods and is basically a no questions asked fix for the problem.

The manufacturer has no legal requirement to provide a warranty at all. Your legally enforceable rights are between the retailer who sold you the goods and you.

Cover under SOGA extends to 5 yrs but after a period it falls to you to prove the Goods Were Unfit For Purpose.

It's a common and incorrect statement that in the UK a 2yr warranty is mandated by EU regulations. The UK is exempt as the SOGA regs are considered as offering superior protection to the minimum required standard.

http://sogahub.tradingstandards.gov.uk/sogaexplained

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act/

And a whole load of other links :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on what the problem is. The Humax warranty is outside the Sale Of Goods which only applies to the retailer supplying the goods and is basically a no questions asked fix for the problem.

The manufacturer has no legal requirement to provide a warranty at all. Your legally enforceable rights are between the retailer who sold you the goods and you.

Cover under SOGA extends to 5 yrs but after a period it falls to you to prove the Goods Were Unfit For Purpose.

It's a common and incorrect statement that in the UK a 2yr warranty is mandated by EU regulations. The UK is exempt as the SOGA regs are considered as offering superior protection to the minimum required standard.

http://sogahub.tradingstandards.gov.uk/sogaexplained

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act/

And a whole load of other links :D

Great five years from humax!
  • ian-dian-d Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that simple though. If your product develops a fault outside of the 1 or 2 year warranty, you cannot just request the retailer or manufacturer to repair/replacement for you. You must prove that the fault was inherent from the original point of sale and the fault has built over time; this would take a serious amount of investigation and probably end up costing more than what the unit was worth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ian-d wrote: »
    Not that simple though. If your product develops a fault outside of the 1 or 2 year warranty, you cannot just request the retailer or manufacturer to repair/replacement for you. You must prove that the fault was inherent from the original point of sale and the fault has built over time; this would take a serious amount of investigation and probably end up costing more than what the unit was worth.

lol I know, the comment was facetious:D

but all the information is very very useful

anyhow I'm jumping back into the freesat fold, thanks to REPASSAC and (famous) Graham who helped make up my mind.

hopefully 40D and five on demand will hurry up!
  • daver34daver34 Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would think the only thing not covered by soga after manufacturers warranty expired would be the hard drive,everything else is outwith wear & tear i believe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My ITV PLAYER is just unusable today - loads up the program fie - but stutters when attemting playback - anybody else?

I am on 120 meg bb with nothing else using the network at the moment - its hardwired to the unit - not wifi.

Dave
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whiteswan wrote: »
    My ITV PLAYER is just unusable today - loads up the program fie - but stutters when attemting playback - anybody else?

I am on 120 meg bb with nothing else using the network at the moment - its hardwired to the unit - not wifi.

Dave

I'm afraid I don't get itv player. Impoverished Scots
  • Geoff_WGeoff_W Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    I've never managed to get ITV Player to work on any platform (HDR via Homeplugs or Laptop either wireless or hardwired). I have 20Mb broadband but the Player always freezes about three quarters of the way through a programme and then will only restart from the beginning. And then there's those ads....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been thinking of buying one of these boxes for some time now but was wary after reading about all the bugs/glitches it had. But if these have now been mostly resolved I think I might take the plunge!

Is it still the case that you can't add an extra few minutes to the start/ending of recordings?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delboy85 wrote: »
    I've been thinking of buying one of these boxes for some time now but was wary after reading about all the bugs/glitches it had. But if these have now been mostly resolved I think I might take the plunge!

Is it still the case that you can't add an extra few minutes to the start/ending of recordings?

You always have been able to do this.

Recording choices

Accurate Recording (AR). Broadcaster controls starting and stopping recordings- Box wakes up 15 mins before scheduled start time. Series recording is functional

Autopadding - User sets a global start and end pad time. Box wakes up at scheduled record time adjusted by the set pad time. Series recording is functional but AR is not.

Full Manual - You set start time end time and channel. No series recording or AR but you can set a repeat pattern