Lady Di

Comments

• jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    As other than security she does not get a tax payer funded income how is she gold digging or a parasite ? And before anyone mentions Kensington Palace apartments that had to be refurbished anyway with rewiring and asbestos removal in all parts including the public part .

I'm pretty sure her and William get money from the civil list.
  • too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Charlie was and still is a right Charlie chump.

Who could forget this little black number Diana stepped out in the day after he confessed to bonking Camilla.

What i could never get my head around was how and why Camilla manipulated and engineered the entire Charles/Diana romance, then once they were married, pretty much 'went to work' on both of them. I imagine her ex-husband was glad to see the back of her.

If I had to spend time with either of them then Camilla would win hands down. She comes across as a good laugh and down to earth. Diana was always about herself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I watched the Helen Mirren film "The Queen" last night, and I really didn't realise at the time the hate towards the royal family, and I really don't know why. I wasn't like she was off holidaying in Budapest...she was still in the country FFS... or did they not realise Balmoral is in the UK? And why shouldn't she have been with her grandsons after the loss of their mother....all bonkers,
  • too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the Helen Mirren film "The Queen" last night, and I really didn't realise at the time the hate towards the royal family, and I really don't know why. I wasn't like she was off holidaying in Budapest...she was still in the country FFS... or did they not realise Balmoral is in the UK? And why shouldn't she have been with her grandsons after the loss of their mother....all bonkers,

Agree. It was absurd and looking after her grandsons was far better than spending her time looking at all the flowers and waving at the masses.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree. It was absurd and looking after her grandsons was far better than spending her time looking at all the flowers and waving at the masses.

Yeah, I can just see the queen comforting her grandsons, Phillip setting up the train sets and Liz suggesting a stag hunt as a way of getting Wills and Harry out of their funk at losing their mother. FFS. the queen comes across as caring as a starving rottwieler.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure her and William get money from the civil list.

The Civil List no longer exists and they never received money form that, it is now the Sovereign Grant which also does not fund anyone other than the Queen, Prince Philip and the Royal Household staff.

https://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHousehold/Royalfinances/HowtheFinancesareUsed.aspx

The various official sources of funding detailed in this section are used entirely to support The Queen’s work as Head of State.

This means that the money goes towards a number of resources which enable Her Majesty to carry out her official duties. These include: Royal travel for official engagements in the UK and overseas; the maintenance of Royal residencies which are used for formal entertaining and ceremonial events; funding for the work of The Duke of Edinburgh which supports and complements that of The Queen and salaries for employees of the Royal Household who support and administrate the work of Her Majesty as Head of State

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/faqs/who-pays-the-duke-and-duchess-of-cambridge-and-prince-harry

Who pays for The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry?

The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry, do not receive a Sovereign's Grant or a Parliamentary Annuity, but use the income from the Duchy of Cornwall to pay for their official activities, supported by The Queen’s Grant-in-Aid funding to provide assistance with official travel and property.

The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry have full-time military roles, for which they receive a salary
  • jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Civil List no longer exists and they never received money form that, it is now the Sovereign Grant which also does not fund anyone other than the Queen, Prince Philip and the Royal Household staff.

https://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHousehold/Royalfinances/HowtheFinancesareUsed.aspx

The various official sources of funding detailed in this section are used entirely to support The Queen’s work as Head of State.

This means that the money goes towards a number of resources which enable Her Majesty to carry out her official duties. These include: Royal travel for official engagements in the UK and overseas; the maintenance of Royal residencies which are used for formal entertaining and ceremonial events; funding for the work of The Duke of Edinburgh which supports and complements that of The Queen and salaries for employees of the Royal Household who support and administrate the work of Her Majesty as Head of State

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/faqs/who-pays-the-duke-and-duchess-of-cambridge-and-prince-harry

The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry, do not receive a Sovereign's Grant or a Parliamentary Annuity, but use the income from the Duchy of Cornwall to pay for their official activities, supported by The Queen’s Grant-in-Aid funding to provide assistance with official travel and property.

The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry have full-time military roles, for which they receive a salary

Like you've said they still receive funding through Grant-in-aid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »
    Like you've said they still receive funding through Grant-in-aid.

For official visits as are ordered by the government not requested by themselves they do not receive tax payers money outside the bill being picked up for Royal Tours and visits so the cost of the travel and rarely accommodation as they tend to stay in British Embassies when overseas .

If your boss sends you on a business trip does he pay for the flight or petrol ?
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    Di was out of control and constantly travelling.... fast cars , fast jets
    S of France, Nepal, India, New York

always traveling... speeding on the roads
    was it such a surprise that she eventually had a crash ?

flirting with the sleazy Dodi.....
    it was all very tacky
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Just as well. He would not have been a good influence.

I've read somewhere that Harry is close to his Spencer cousins.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diana's death was the most embarrassing example of mass-hysteria in British history. >:(

I watched aghast as bloody grown men were extravagantly blubbing in public over someone they had never even met.

I have been to a few funerals and although there were a few quiet tears shed by some people everyone conducted themselves with quiet dignity.

What the hell the rest of the world thought of us is anyone's guess.

Stiff upper lip?

You have to be joking.
    Forum Member
    aRE we watching a battle of the Dynasties ? the Spencer Dynasty V The Windsor Dynasty ?

The Spencers, closely connected to the Monarchy from way back..... from way before
    the German takeover of the Monarchy .

The Spencers steeped in English history have now become centre stage.

Look at a pic of Diana s brother as a young man.... thats where Harry gets his looks and red hair

William has inherited thinning hair from the Windsors but height and everything
    else from the Shand Kydd side of the genes.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    aRE we watching a battle of the Dynasties ? the Spencer Dynasty V The Windsor Dynasty ?

The Spencers, closely connected to the Monarchy from way back..... from way before
    the German takeover of the Monarchy .
    That was precisely why Diana was chosen, to make the Royals more English, a cousin of Winston Churchill no less.
    William has inherited thinning hair from the Windsors but height and everything
    else from the Shand Kydd side of the genes.
    William has no Shand Kydd genes, that is his grandmother's 2nd husband.
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »

William has no Shand Kydd genes, that is his grandmother's 2nd husband.

Come on, you know who Im talking about... Frances Shand Kydd...
    Dianas mother .... William has a ton of genes from her
  • nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Di was out of control and constantly travelling.... fast cars , fast jets
    S of France, Nepal, India, New York

always traveling... speeding on the roads
    was it such a surprise that she eventually had a crash ?

flirting with the sleazy Dodi.....
    it was all very tacky

Honestly, what utter utter rubbish. India, New York and Nepal were official royal visits and I don't know what you remember, but there was no speeding of any sort involved in any kind of vehicle. And of all the people in the car in Paris, it is somewhat ironic that it should have been Diana driving it. She had driven herself very safely around London for all of seventeen years, with the press always in pursuit and never once did she ever put any lives at risk. In fact, one of her bodyguards while she was still married said she used to say constantly in the car if in London being driven, 'be careful, be slow, don't hit anybody,' when there was photographers hanging off bikes being complete idiots around.

It seems people want to remember what they want to remember, but Diana's life and dutiful service in the royals undertaking thousands of engagements was very very much more than just the last 4 weeks of her life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nancy1975 wrote: »
    Honestly, what utter utter rubbish. India, New York and Nepal were official royal visits and I don't know what you remember, but there was no speeding of any sort involved in any kind of vehicle. And of all the people in the car in Paris, it is somewhat ironic that it should have been Diana driving it. She had driven herself very safely around London for all of seventeen years, with the press always in pursuit and never once did she ever put any lives at risk. In fact, one of her bodyguards while she was still married said she used to say constantly in the car if in London being driven, 'be careful, be slow, don't hit anybody,' when there was photographers hanging off bikes being complete idiots around.

It seems people want to remember what they want to remember, but Diana's life and dutiful service in the royals undertaking thousands of engagements was very very much more than just the last 4 weeks of her life.

At the end of the day the woman was like most of us flawed we none of us are perfect and she had plenty of her own demons. She did an awful lot of good for people and charities but she was also very unhappy the marriage should never have happened.

However the main thing is that if she had not refused her official police protection as she was constantly asked to have and take back she would still be alive today, they would never have allowed Dodi to swap and change plans as he did they certainly would not have allowed a last minute change of driver to one who had been drinking and there would have been no high speed drive to let Dodi show off as he so much liked to do and she would have been made to wear her seatbelt (she always had to be reminded by her protection officers ) if the journey had happened at all that is.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've read somewhere that Harry is close to his Spencer cousins.

He never was the sharpest tool in the box
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    Imagine if Diana had had a hotter sister.

She'd probably still be alive.

She did have an elder sister that Charles went out with first
    She was Princess Di not Lady.>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    She did have an elder sister that Charles went out with first
    She was Princess Di not Lady.>:(

She was known as Princess Di / Diana, actually her correct title at death was Lady Diana Princess of Wales , and she was known popularly as Diana Princess of Wales.

On marriage she became HRH The Princess Charles ( just as we have Princess Michael of Kent ) and Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales ( her correct married name / title ) . On her divorce she adopted the same style as any divorced wife of a peer so she then used the Princess of Wales as a surname and her correct name was Lady Diana Princess of Wales , ( so just the same as Lady Dina Smith though people and the press called her Diana Princess of Wales or still Princess Di ) just like you or I have a surname which she would have lost if she remarried, but she was always Lady Diana since her father became an Earl . She was on her divorce and at death still The Duchess of Rothesay and Countess of Carrick ( but not HRH) in Scotland as titles are not lost by divorce there only lost if you remarry.

She was however never Princess Diana as she was not born a Princess that title was a popular one used by media and people.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Havn't seen her in EE for a while.
    Forum Member
    How did she ever get embroiled with Dodi and his dodgey
    multi millionaire dad ?

Wonder where she first met Dodi ?
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

Dress it up any old how, we pay for the Royal Family's existence, end of. Income from the Duchy of Cornwall, my arse. Cornwall's a lovely place but it probably has a GDP less than that of my building society account.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bless you for posting this. I am so tired of the cynicism shown by many. ;Hysterical outpouring' be damned. People grieved and came together to grieve and there's nothing wrong with that. It certainly doesn't deserve scorn.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    The reaction to her death remains one of the most cringe-worthy moments in the UK's living memory.

All these years later and I still cringe thinking about it. Why did people lose their heads like that? Diana did a lot of charity work and I believe she suffered emotional abuse at the very least at the hands of Charles and the royals but the way she was treated like a saint upon her death was absolutely baffling to me and still is.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ......................... And of all the people in the car in Paris, it is somewhat ironic that it should have been Diana driving it. ............

It seems people want to remember what they want to remember...............

Err ... yes ... obviously.