NBC to launch 'Idol,' 'X Factor' rival in the spring

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
Forum Member
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40647380/ns/today-entertainment/

With this news, i'd really be surprised if Cheryl got the job.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    I like the idea of this show!
  • iluvdanniiiluvdannii Posts: 3,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the audition process sounds really good!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

oooo me too!!!!!! Fingers crossed someone shows it over here!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I saw an ad for this, and that Paula Abdul is one of the judges.

The problem is that there are now three of these shows. American Idol, X-Factor, Voice of America...it's devaluing the winner.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    It actually sounds quite fun and .... CREDIBLE !!
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perdita_x wrote: »
    oooo me too!!!!!! Fingers crossed someone shows it over here!!!!

The format has already been purchased over here, IIRC, however the broadcaster who has purchased it hasn't been revealed yet
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I like the sound of that.

Don't know who would show it here though as ITV2 has Idol and X-Factor so will they show a revial US programme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Maybe Channel 4 or Sky?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member

"The Voice of America” will feature a panel of four established performers as “coaches,” rather than judges. Coaches will initially hear contestants sing with their backs turned, so they will be judged strictly on their voices.
  • NienaNiena Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Auditions part sound intriguing. It leaves room for cheating if the producers are so inclined though.

Another problem is, once the auditions are over and competition actually starts we have yet another one of these shows...
  • hypervisorhypervisor Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BP4L wrote: »
    Oh I like the sound of that.

Don't know who would show it here though as ITV2 has Idol and X-Factor so will they show a revial US programme.

i though channel 4 have the rights to this
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hypervisor wrote: »
    i though channel 4 have the rights to this

What the rights to show Voice of America or to make their own Voice of Britian?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Niena wrote: »
    Auditions part sound intriguing. It leaves room for cheating if the producers are so inclined though.

Another problem is, once the auditions are over and competition actually starts we have yet another one of these shows...

Yup...I think there's only room for one of these shows in the market. Maybe all three will start off, but only one will be around the next season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, please. I've lost count at how many singing comps NBC has had on. I don't think Idol or X-factor are worried.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jujubee wrote: »
    Oh, please. I've lost count at how many singing comps NBC has had on. I don't think Idol or X-factor are worried.

I think Idol has tons to be worried about. They don't have Simon anymore. Unless JLo or Steven Tyler can demonstrate that same candid nastiness and not make it look like an act, people will start to get bored with AI. That's probably why they made all the changes (no instruments, staged performances, etc...).

I don't see AI surviving for another season. I think XF will walk away with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benami311 wrote: »
    I think Idol has tons to be worried about. They don't have Simon anymore. Unless JLo or Steven Tyler can demonstrate that same candid nastiness and not make it look like an act, people will start to get bored with AI. That's probably why they made all the changes (no instruments, staged performances, etc...).

I don't see AI surviving for another season. I think XF will walk away with it.

Idol and X-factor are NOT competing directly against each other. They are on the same network on different times of the year. They BOTH could get good ratings...and they BOTH could get crap ratings. Not many people are going to say "I'm only going to watch X-factor!" or "I'm only going to watch Idol!" It could be very much like X-factor and BGT.
  • RevenReven Posts: 2,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that Mark Burnett was behind Rockstar:INXS, I'll definitely be interested in seeing the US version. Even if I have to youtube it!
  • LMAOLMAO Posts: 3,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AAH!! Endemol :eek: Guess its their plan B now Big Brother has run its course lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh wow, sounds like a brilliant show! I really hope it comes to the UK. :D

I'm intrigued to find out who the judges are.
  • rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    It sounds very gimmicky, and I'm not sure the whole "looks" factor would be pleasant to watch...
  • hypervisorhypervisor Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BP4L wrote: »
    What the rights to show Voice of America or to make their own Voice of Britian?

to run there own, they have a massive gap from big brothers demise
  • EejitEejit Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all sounds a bit gimmicky. But it could definitely steal some of X Factor's thunder.

Fox are really going to need to get anticipation building for X Factor even while AI is on if its going to be a big success. Which might be a problem for them.

But then AI is dying in the long run, so they might be as well just throwing everything at X Factor.
  • rated_2000rated_2000 Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voice of.... is a dutch tv show called voice of holland

loads of it on youtube, the show has been highly praised for the pure quality of singing

and it is the no 1 show in holland doing better than dutch idol and dutch xfactor

hence why voice of america is launching
  • RevenReven Posts: 2,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rated_2000 wrote: »
    Voice of.... is a dutch tv show called voice of holland

loads of it on youtube, the show has been highly praised for the pure quality of singing

and it is the no 1 show in holland doing better than dutch idol and dutch xfactor

hence why voice of america is launching

That probably explains Mark Burnett getting behind the American version. He got so much critical acclaim for Rockstar (AI and XF have done loads of songs that were originally done on Rockstar, and XF nicked the sing-off from it!) that I couldn't see him getting behind a music show that was anything less than excellent. Can't believe they didn't mention Rockstar in that article!
  • EejitEejit Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reven wrote: »
    That probably explains Mark Burnett getting behind the American version. He got so much critical acclaim for Rockstar (AI and XF have done loads of songs that were originally done on Rockstar, and XF nicked the sing-off from it!) that I couldn't see him getting behind a music show that was anything less than excellent. Can't believe they didn't mention Rockstar in that article!
    The X Factor did sing-offs before Rockstar was ever broadcast. So if anything, the nicking was the other way round. ;)