Is the Union over.

AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After the Scotland referendum vote came back as no but the Yes vote was 45%.

The way politics have been behaving.

Is it worth the union anymore.

There is no trust and the perfect or not so marriage seam to be over or being tested.

Was Irvine Welsh right.

Is the union over with or without Scotland.

And where does Wales and Northern Ireland stand.

Comments

• MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Union over.

well we can all live in hope..
  • VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. 55.3% of Scots voted to stay in the Union.

And of course the Union is made up of 4 Countries so 1 leaving doesn't end it.
  • Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the Union over

No.

Back in August/September 2014, when it looked like there was a chance of independence, the three main party leaders went to Scotland and begged to voters to stay in the Union.

Leading Westminster politicians are as keen to preserve the Union as they are to preserve our membership of the European Union.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    If oil had not plummeted in price then i think there could be a huge push towards a break up of the union. As it is though the SNP simply cannot pay for what they want to do, i think the the average scot will realise this, so the union will stay.
  • AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know remember Québec.
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adamsk wrote: »

There is no trust and the perfect or not so marriage seam to be over or being tested.

Was Irvine Welsh right.

It'll only be over when those south of the border accept repatriation without protest. That means they would have to move back to live amongst so many mean-of-spirit Scots.
  • Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Was Irvine Welsh right.

I don't want it to end but I fear so now thanks to the behaviour of the Tories. My grandmother said to me years ago, divorce is no good for anyone. The Tories could do with listening to her sound advice.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VDUBster wrote: »
    No. 55.3% of Scots voted to stay in the Union.

And of course the Union is made up of 4 Countries so 1 leaving doesn't end it.

Not really when you take away the English there who voted 'No'. Actual Scots were split 50/50.
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really when you take away the English there who voted 'No'. Actual Scots were split 50/50.

My boss is English. She voted Yes and has now joined the SNP and is out delivering leaflets for them.
  • Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know remember Québec.

After seeing the thread title I knew exactly what was coming, so I felt a bit cheated that you hadn't mentioned Quebec in the opening post. So thanks, I've been worried sick.

As for the union, if we can get rid of the monkey that is the whinging Scots off our back, I'm sure most people in England would be delighted.

Put it this way, had we been offered a vote in the referendum, you'd have been long gone.
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No

Unless we can chuck the Scots out.

I feel the union is a very good thing, but you can only put up with so much bleating from North of the border
  • CapparwireCapparwire Posts: 2,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rjb101 wrote: »
    No

Unless we can chuck the Scots out.

I feel the union is a very good thing, but you can only put up with so much bleating from North of the border

Is "the union would be great if it wasn't for the people in it" the new "some of my best friends are black"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I love being British just as much as I love being Scottish. But the Xenophobia is too strong from south of the border, we didn't ask for independence (although personally I did) what we're asking for is what we were promised if we stayed, something that is yet to be delivered. I hope this can work out well for all sides, however there are too many people questioning why we even get a say!! And scary propaganda from ex PM Major doesn't help, it was him and Thatcher that have made me view Westminster this way
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love being British just as much as I love being Scottish. But the Xenophobia is too strong from south of the border, we didn't ask for independence (although personally I did) what we're asking for is what we were promised if we stayed, something that is yet to be delivered. I hope this can work out well for all sides, however there are too many people questioning why we even get a say!! And scary propaganda from ex PM Major doesn't help, it was him and Thatcher that have made me view Westminster this way

You'd still be British, without the union, just not politically. Like how people can be Scandinavians without Norway, Sweden, etc all being in an incorporating union with the one sovereign parliament in Oslo. Wesminster doesn't own "Britishness", much as they try and appropriate it for their own political ends. It predates the union
  • AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After seeing the thread title I knew exactly what was coming, so I felt a bit cheated that you hadn't mentioned Quebec in the opening post. So thanks, I've been worried sick.

As for the union, if we can get rid of the monkey that is the whinging Scots off our back, I'm sure most people in England would be delighted.

Put it this way, had we been offered a vote in the referendum, you'd have been long gone.

But it true.

When you have 45% support to split a state then I think you can safely declare the 'special' relationship is over. Quebec was the richest province of Canada now its nowhere near as rich relative to the rest of Canada pretty much loathed for its xenophobic Frenchness by the rest of Canadians.

I can see Scotland going the same way. Unable to bring itself to an independent state but angry at other UK citizens because of it. With that ambivalence will turn to loathing of the continual whining and demands. Scotland really needs to leave the UK or be made to leave by being made unwelcome. Only then it can turn its strife onto itself rather than projecting the anger and frustrations with itself outwards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it true.

When you have 45% support to split a state then I think you can safely declare the 'special' relationship is over. Quebec was the richest province of Canada now its nowhere near as rich relative to the rest of Canada pretty much loathed for its xenophobic Frenchness by the rest of Canadians.

I can see Scotland going the same way. Unable to bring itself to an independent state but angry at other UK citizens because of it. With that ambivalence will turn to loathing of the continual whining and demands. Scotland really needs to leave the UK or be made to leave by being made unwelcome. Only then it can turn its strife onto itself rather than projecting the anger and frustrations with itself outwards.

Dearie me, all the whining, anger, frustration and spite seems to be coming from you here, champ.
  • anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member

Actual scots are the people of all backgrounds who make up Scottish society. Blaming it on the English who live here is wrong.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was against the break up of the union, but some of the comments on these forums of late make me wonder... perhaps Scotland should have taken the chance while they had it. I'd be sad to see them go, but I'm not sure that I'd blame them.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    anndra_w wrote: »
    Actual scots are the people of all backgrounds who make up Scottish society. Blaming it on the English who live here is wrong.

It's almost as bad as blaming it on Mi5...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    I was against the break up of the union, but some of the comments on these forums of late make me wonder... perhaps Scotland should have taken the chance while they had it. I'd be sad to see them go, but I'm not sure that I'd blame them.

I agree, it seems a large minority of people South of the border think the Scots should be kicked back into line for being unruly and voting SNP.
    Even worse it is somehow being portrayed as being undemocratic for Scots to actually vote for the party of their choice because it doesn't conform with the status quo.
  • VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capparwire wrote: »
    Dearie me, all the whining, anger, frustration and spite seems to be coming from you here, champ.
    Just like your average Scottish Yes voter then...
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no of course not

all the whinging yesnp nonsense on the internet makes a lot of noise but it is not representative of the majority vote
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, it seems a large minority of people South of the border think the Scots should be kicked back into line for being unruly and voting SNP.
    Even worse it is somehow being portrayed as being undemocratic for Scots to actually vote for the party of their choice because it doesn't conform with the status quo.

100% agree with this.

I've seen and heard some right rubbish from the English on the subject. It makes me ashamed to be English to a small degree. Some people here just seem to think the Scots have no right to democracy, representation, self-determination and the like.

If I was Scottish and living in Scotland, I know I'd probably vote SNP just because Lib/Lab/Con were telling me not too! :D
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    The trouble is that Scotland wants its cake and eat it. They want to be a part of the union but keep wanting separate things just for themselves. You can't have it both ways!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Quebec aren't independant. They have failed in every referendum. Well the two they have had.