Options

How would you cope with being homeless?

Comments

• Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i can pretty much guarantee you`d be told where to go and perhaps the police called.

Then I would explain to the police the situation.

This world should be fairer towards these people because they are just as human as the rest of us. If I were working at McDonalds (for example), I would let a homeless person have a free meal because it's not their fault they wouldn't be able to afford the most basic of meals.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member

This world should be fairer towards these people because they are just as human as the rest of us. If I were working at McDonalds (for example), I would let a homeless person have a free meal because it's not their fault they wouldn't be able to afford the most basic of meals.

And then you'd get the sack when management found out. It's not up to you to give food away as much as you'd like to.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

you`ve perhaps not dealt with the police much but they generally are not that sympathetic towards the homeless. there`s a couple here that give homeless people in doorways a kick or two and use them as a toilet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And then you'd get the sack when management found out. It's not up to you to give food away as much as you'd like to.

At least you'd have done a good deed. I would find that more important than keeping the job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you`ve perhaps not dealt with the police much but they generally are not that sympathetic towards the homeless. there`s a couple here that give homeless people in doorways a kick or two and use them as a toilet.

Sounds like complete discrimination. Homeless people need help, not to be treated like that.
  • Options
    CosinCosin Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was homeless for a week once in Spain. I begged five petetas off a diner in a restaurant and slept in a park. There were all these nasty homos trying to have butt sex with me.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least you'd have done a good deed. I would find that more important than keeping the job.

But then when you lost your job you could end up finding yourself homeless and begging for food too!
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife locked me out and spent nine days in a shed
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    that`s as it should be, having more money than som
    eone else at some point does not make anyone a more worthy human being.[/QUOTe

>>>

Far from implying the self employed expect special treatment I was pointing out that we come bottom or near bottom to the heap should we fall on hard times, become destitute and need national assistance regardless of how much we have paid into the system through working very long hours, taking virtually no sick days and going without holidays,beer and baccy ! Compared to those including my sly work shy idle brother in law who leads a life of idleness in claiming a pile of benefits and who once when remarking on how lucky I was, received the reply - Yes The harder I work the luckier I get !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »

Far from implying the self employed expect special treatment I was pointing out that we come bottom or near bottom to the heap should we fall on hard times, become destitute and need national assistance regardless of how much we have paid into the system through working very long hours, taking virtually no sick days and going without holidays,beer and baccy ! Compared to those including my sly work shy idle brother in law who leads a life of idleness in claiming a pile of benefits and who once when remarking on how lucky I was, received the reply - Yes The harder I work the luckier I get !

we are all human and you are no better than anyone else whatever you think, whether they are a claimant or not.

edit: if you check the last ] is there when you quote it will come right.
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was homeless, I'd be too bored to hang around on the street in the same spot for too long, I would rather walk across the country gradually, keep moving around. I couldn't cope doing any of the things I see homeless people doing, begging to get money, trying to sleep in places that are just outside, selling the Big Issue and just being based in one location most of the time.

What would you do if you were homeless?

go to the oouncil, get put in temporary accomodation until something permanent was available. Like the rest of the shirkers.
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was homeless, I'd be too bored to hang around on the street in the same spot for too long, I would rather walk across the country gradually, keep moving around. I couldn't cope doing any of the things I see homeless people doing, begging to get money, trying to sleep in places that are just outside, selling the Big Issue and just being based in one location most of the time.

What would you do if you were homeless?

go to the oouncil, get put in temporary accomodation until something permanent was available. Like the rest of the shirkers. Then spend the entire day on the internet complaining that the government stinks in the politics forum with the rest of them waiting for my benefits payment to arrive.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd probably turn to crime to survive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    we are all human and you are no better than anyone else whatever you think, whether they are a claimant or not.

edit: if you check the last ] is there when you quote it will come right.

Seems pointless to argue with a logic that puts Hitler and Chamberlain on the same level.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd probably turn to crime to survive.

Hello, Jean Valjean. ;-)
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has to be a wind-up, surely? :confused:
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member

Really? So if you worked behind a supermarket checkout you'd let homeless people go through without paying? It's the same thing.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to think that no matter how bad things got my family and friends would help me out. I'd certainly never see any of my mates or family homeless. It does make you wonder how bad things must be for someone to end up in that position and how they've nobody at all in their life who can help. You've got to feel sorry for them.

Good deeds don't pay the bills though so I'd rather have a job than do a good deed. With that kind of outlook there's a good chance that you might end up homeless!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? So if you worked behind a supermarket checkout you'd let homeless people go through without paying? It's the same thing.
    Yeah because they'd need it more than I'd need to keep the job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    Seems pointless to argue with a logic that puts Hitler and Chamberlain on the same level.

are they on the housing list?
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Food wise I'd probably struggle as I'm a big eater but I do know of some places that give free food to the homeless after closing and these usually are cafes. I would do a bit of begging or make good use of my beatboxing skills (no joke I am pretty good at it) I would just do what I could to get money which doesnt mean rob anyone I mean asking for free food or just a few quid to get a sandwich and a drink. I wouldnt turn to drink as thats a downward spiral and certainly not drugs either. In all honesty I'd quite like the freedom of just dossing in parks, I'd love the fact I wouldnt have to worry about anything other than food and drink whilst also trying to better myself by getting into hostels then hopefully on the ladder to a place of my own. In all this age of social media and intense pressure of life if I was homeless I would probably enjoy it and I know that because I have no addictions I would stand a better chance of getting a flat, then onto the dole then into work and onto a much better life. My local homeless charity whom I donate clothes to every year are a lovely bunch and have helped so many so I would feel comforted that I know where help is at hand and I wouldnt be out on the streets for long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    are they on the housing list?

Doesnt really address the strange logic as posted quote "All humans are no better than any others" . .
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, Jean Valjean. ;-)

Clearly I'm rather uncultured, as I had to look that up! :p
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spent some time on the streets at the height of my drink and drug problems, I was drunk/high most of the time, but it was pretty violent. Some kids pissed on me, and gave me a kicking, and there wasn't an awful lot I could do about it.

I wasn't really eating, and at the height of it collapsed, and when I was taken to hospital, I ended up going back to my parents.

My family knew where I was and used to slip me money while I slept.

Every girl I met had been raped, and after speaking with my therapist, it seems I was too.

I passed out after earning some drug/drink money and I guess the guy took a freebie, still it brought me back into consciousness.

I never felt safe while I was on the streets, which is probably why I blotted most of it out with the drink and drugs.

It's weird how emotional this is making me feel.
    I'm in a good place so thought I'd be okay to go into detail.

Boredom wasn't an issue, trying to stay safe was.

I did have a throwaway phone briefly but that got taken from me. I probably lost a lot of money too.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather be in a prison cell then out on the streets, especially in winter.