Options

Which is Madonna's best tour?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
Forum Member
✭✭
which is Madonna's best tour and why? is it the stripped back 'who's that girl tour' or the sheer spectacle of 'sticky and sweet'? Do you like the exitement of 'confessions' or the new versions of classics on the 're-invention' tour....?

So which is her best concert in your view and why?

Comments

• Options
    BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Blond Ambition Tour, so much variety, all the songs are staged perfectly such as Like a Virgin running into Like a Prayer, then the vulnerability yet empowering performances of Live to Tell and Oh Father, the head strong Express Yourself and the wacky yet fun Holiday performance
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me while personally i wasnt born until two years later but...The Blonde Ambition Tour.

For so many reasons....It promoted my favourite album of all time (Like A Prayer) the media/press/attention/controversies around the tour is something to behold, it set a standard that brought theatrics into a rock concert and pop music, it marked Madonnas first team up with Jean Paul Gautier, the costumes are iconic (cone bra, androdgyny, religion) the trademark ponytail/curls, the choreography! It is the pinnacle showcase!

Also absolutely love the Confessions Tour! Very much brought the album to the stage in so many layers, styles and imagery. It as the Space Disco/Sci-Fi, Spiritual, Journey that i envisioned on the album brought to arenas and stadiums :cool:
  • Options
    Lovely LadyLovely Lady Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    The Blonde Ambition Tour.

There's just no contest.

Although I am very fond of the The Virgin Tour too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Blonde Ambition Tour.

There's just no contest.

Although I am very fond of the The Virgin Tour too.

the floral/punky blend and....TAMBOURINE POWER!!! like no other....hope that gets a remastering too tbh. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say which one is best but my favorite is certainly The Girlie Show (with Confessions coming close 2nd, although S+S was the runner-up for a long while).
    I can understand why people hold Blond Ambition as her best because it broke so many boundaries and still remains one of her best live shows in terms of visual design and aesthetic. But with the Girlie Show she took the ideas of the BAT to another level and again broke boundaries of live concert by putting on a show which essentially was a 'burlesque revue'. The GS didn't have the dazzle that BAT had and was less extravagant in that respect but I found it in some ways artistically superior than BAT.
    One I have difficulty to rate compared to her other tours is DWT. I loved it when i saw it, then fell out of love with it but recently, I've watched some snippets on youtube and i forgot how brilliant it is...Still, it didn't impact on me in the same way GS, & even S+S, did.
  • Options
    spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to her Girlie Show tour in 1993 at Wembley and thought it was brilliant. I do love to watch videos/dvds of her Blonde Ambition and Who's That Girl tours though, and Virgin tour. I haven't seen any of her more recent tours and didn't go to them as too damn expensive.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have been four times and it is indeed expensive, but worth every penny for me. i saw `the girlie show`, `re-invention`, `confessions` and `sticky and sweet`. my favourite was show was `reinvention`, it was epic, she had the crowd going from vogue (the first song).

of course, i have seen them all of video, but i really regret not attending `blond ambition` and `drowned world`.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry I don't have an answer...

I'm not looking for any catty response but this is one too many Madonna threads for me to keep coming back to this forum...

I have nothing against her, she's admirable, but musically does zilch for me.

Looking at the front page, you'd be forgiven for thinking this is a Madonna forum. In addition to that, sooo many threads get started about the same artists... Do any of these artists cut into my soul and make me feel like only music can? No.

Sorry to interupt your thread, just wanted to write what I was feeling before looking for a new forum and didn't want to start a new thread.

Goodbye Madonna, Gaga, Britney, Rhianna etc.... I've tried to care, but it's no good lol.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rascalico wrote: »

I'm not looking for any catty response but this is one too many Madonna threads for me to keep coming back to this forum...

Looking at the front page, you'd be forgiven for thinking this is a Madonna forum. In addition to that, sooo many threads get started about the same artists... Do any of these artists cut into my soul and make me feel like only music can? No.

Sorry to interupt your thread, just wanted to write what I was feeling before looking for a new forum and didn't want to start a new thread.

Goodbye Madonna, Gaga, Britney... I've tried to care, but it's no good lol.

I agree, it's a bit OTT? I love Madonna but we have an appreciation thread and don't need individual threads for each song/tour etc
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is the Confessions Tour. :)
  • Options
    MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine would be The Re-Invention, but for single performance i'd say Express Yourself/Deeper and Deeper from The Girlie Show.
    Drowned World was ok but a bit heavy and serious.

And as for the poster who said it's one Madonna thread too many - makes a change from Adele vs Taylor Swift. And if it's that big a deal - start some threads yourself, simples.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Since Blond Ambition and Re-Invention never got proper releases I've not really seen either :( MDNA is the first time i'm going to see her.

But from the DVDs i've seen I think Confessions is her best. Perfect setlist and great performances. I really like Girlie Show too, but I think the set-list lets it down. Sticky and Sweet was a bit of a mishmash for me. I didn't like some of the mixes she used. Wasn't fussed on that Gypsy segment either. It's been so long since I watched Drowned World I can't remember it.

Looking at the setlist on Wiki, I think Re-Invention looks brilliant.
  • Options
    RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Girlie Show. Great costumes, great choreography, good vocals. The performance of "Express Yourself" alone makes this Madonna's best tour. My only complaint is that the setlist was a little too short.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    The Girlie Show. Great costumes, great choreography, good vocals. The performance of "Express Yourself" alone makes this Madonna's best tour. My only complaint is that the setlist was a little too short.
    Agree. The Express Yourself / Deeper and Deeper performance is one of my favourites ever. I'm always listening to those 2 on my iPod.
  • Options
    Whoopie DooWhoopie Doo Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Defo Blonde Ambition. She was just top of the world then.

Reinvention was fantastic though as was Confessions.

Drowned World was pretty boring and despite the fact its a record breaker I didn't enjoy Sticky & Sweet that much either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Goodbye Madonna, Gaga, Britney, Rhianna etc.... I've tried to care, but it's no good lol.

well, the reality is that madonna is a hot topic right now due to the new album and the tour pending. That is probably why there are so many threads about her. at the end of the day and given the number of posts in all the threads, it is clearly a topic people want to talk about

if you don't like the fact that fellow users are discussing something you are not interested in, then either don't click on the thread or start some of your own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    I agree, it's a bit OTT? I love Madonna but we have an appreciation thread and don't need individual threads for each song/tour etc

Are you being serious?:eek: - Or a bit ironic ( me hope)?;)

It's only since we've heard rumours about a new album launching soon that there are threads about her. And it's fairly reasonable compared to the Gaga/Saturdays...Of course I exclude Ilovezenatta's ones. If there's a feeling of saturation on this forum, he's got certainly a part of responsibility with his nonsensical thread:sleep:
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissDexter wrote: »
    Mine would be The Re-Invention, but for single performance i'd say Express Yourself/Deeper and Deeper from The Girlie Show.
    Drowned World was ok but a bit heavy and serious.

And as for the poster who said it's one Madonna thread too many - makes a change from Adele vs Taylor Swift. And if it's that big a deal - start some threads yourself, simples.

I agree. The RIT tour is my favorite as well. Her voice was really good on that tour and it was nice to hear some of her best loved song closer to the original versions, but it had some wonderful messages to it as well. Some fans love the Drowned World tour because it was so dark and arty, but that's not my thing.
    I don't mind these separate threads on Madonna when they reference a specific part of her career, a certain song, album or tour. It makes it easy to talk about one specific thing and not get off topic. The Appreciaton thread is great but there's a lot to read through and absorb.
    If you have no interest or liking for Madonna, you don't have to read these threads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexMalgua wrote: »
    I can't say which one is best but my favorite is certainly The Girlie Show (with Confessions coming close 2nd, although S+S was the runner-up for a long while).
    I can understand why people hold Blond Ambition as her best because it broke so many boundaries and still remains one of her best live shows in terms of visual design and aesthetic. But with the Girlie Show she took the ideas of the BAT to another level and again broke boundaries of live concert by putting on a show which essentially was a 'burlesque revue'. The GS didn't have the dazzle that BAT had and was less extravagant in that respect but I found it in some ways artistically superior than BAT.
    One I have difficulty to rate compared to her other tours is DWT. I loved it when i saw it, then fell out of love with it but recently, I've watched some snippets on youtube and i forgot how brilliant it is...Still, it didn't impact on me in the same way GS, & even S+S, did.

YES i love the girlie show....love everything about the Erotica era. I agree she took the performance art ideas and concepts and really put it in one massive conceptualized tour. Also it had such a massive level of hysteria surrounding the tour there too :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well, the reality is that madonna is a hot topic right now due to the new album and the tour pending. That is probably why there are so many threads about her. at the end of the day and given the number of posts in all the threads, it is clearly a topic people want to talk about

if you don't like the fact that fellow users are discussing something you are not interested in, then either don't click on the thread or start some of your own.

Well said Scuba! :)
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member

Goodbye then!

i wouldn't say that there's that many Madonna threads on here.

I think all Madonna's tours are great but my personal faves are the Virgin and Who's That Girl? tours.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Girlie show for me isn't her best tour. I felt the themes were not appealing but she displayed Erotica very well. I love all the others though.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodbye then!

i wouldn't say that there's that many Madonna threads on here.

I think all Madonna's tours are great but my personal faves are the Virgin and Who's That Girl? tours.

you literally took the words out of my mouth.:o it was years before i got a profile here, reading threads on and off for quite a long time. people should have a fair idea what subjects are popular at ds in the music forum prior to joining and if they don't then just pack up and move on to a forum that`s a better fit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is everyones favourite performance from each tour/favourite Madonna performance on tour ever?
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    What is everyones favourite performance from each tour/favourite Madonna performance on tour ever?

Virgin Tour - Everybody
    WTG - Open Your Heart
    BA - Express Yourself
    Girlie - Vogue
    DW - Ray Of Light
    RIT - Vogue
    Confession - Live To Tell
    S&S - Give It To Me