Safe - new Jason Statham film

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
Forum Member
✭✭
I saw a preview screening of this last night. It was better than expected, but nothing new. It was your generic Jason Statham action flick, but enjoyable nonsense. It does stretch his acting prowess though.... Crying, thinking, staring into middle distance ;)

It reminded me very much of the generic action films churned out by Steven Segal in the 80's and people like Brian Austin and JCVD in the 90's..... Each one pretty much the same as the last.

Have you seen Safe or are you going to? What did you think of it? Is Jason Statham the latest Steven Segal? If he isn't, who is the current action star?

Comments

• MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was very suprised to read Kim Newman's (much revered movie expert and reviewer) 4 star review on the Empire site.
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you seen Safe or are you going to? What did you think of it? Is Jason Statham the latest Steven Segal? If he isn't, who is the current action star?

For all that his films are formulaic, Statham's acting is no way as bad as Segal's. In some of his films, Segal's going almost cross-eyed with the sheer effort of acting.
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the trailer, until Jason Statham popped up. I think I'll give it a miss!
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this not a remake of Mercury Rising?

Smart child gets protected by balding thug against government forces who want to kill the child?
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm new to his films but saw this trailer and it interested me. Is it purely action? Is it quite emotional given the story?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I'm new to his films but saw this trailer and it interested me. Is it purely action? Is it quite emotional given the story?

it's mainly action with a little bit of sentimentality thrown in..... but it is just car chase, gun fight, kicking, punching etc one after the other

in terms of story, it is a thin one holding together the action scenes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Is this not a remake of Mercury Rising?

Smart child gets protected by balding thug against government forces who want to kill the child?

it is not a straight remake.... but replace government forces with chinese and russian gangsters and corrupt cops and you are not far off ;)
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MissDexter wrote: »
    I was very suprised to read Kim Newman's (much revered movie expert and reviewer) 4 star review on the Empire site.

Empire gave it 4/5? Wow. I like Statham so i'll be planning to see it at some point.
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I watched the trailer for the film, I just got the impression of it being another Transporter film, I don't mind Jason Statham but I do think his action films seem very samey in style, plot and acting I haven't watched this film yet so I could be completely wrong and he has done something new with the character but from the trailer that is how I feel.

I don't think he is the best actor in the world but sometimes films that he is in do work well.
  • TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think he is the best actor in the world but sometimes films that he is in do work well.
    Just recently I've enjoyed watching him in 'The Mechanic' and 'Blitz'. 'Killer Elite' wasn't bad either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tremse wrote: »
    Just recently I've enjoyed watching him in 'The Mechanic' and 'Blitz'. 'Killer Elite' wasn't bad either.

The Mechanic and Blitz were pretty enjoyable by Jason Statham standards but Killer Elite was rubbish despite having the presence of Robert DeNiro and Clive Owen. I'm hoping Safe is one of the better ones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this earlier tonight. Despite reading quite a few reviews saying this was a good Jason Statham flick and Empire giving it 4/5, i have to say i was terribly disappointed with it. It is just an average Statham flick but one i didn't particularly enjoy all that much so all i can say is it's ok. It's not bad but it's not good either. He's got a couple of good one-liners and the action scenes are decent enough. I'm just glad i didn't pay to watch it. I still think The Mechanic is his best film.

The positives are that there's a lot more emphasis based on plot/character (he's got quite some backstory!) and more emotional involvement than your typical Statham film. Nice to see Statham interact with a child actor which we don't normally see and he does it well. The negatives are the whole film is absurd from start to finish, it's nothing you haven't already seen before and i was getting bored with all the shoot 'em ups.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It reminded me very much of the generic action films churned out by Steven Segal in the 80's and people like Brian Austin and JCVD in the 90's..... Each one pretty much the same as the last.

That's just too cruel. How can you compare Statham with Seagal? I do get what you're saying, but still...? I mean, that's like comparing a car tyre with a tree.
    Have you seen Safe or are you going to? What did you think of it? Is Jason Statham the latest Steven Segal?

omg, that's just too much. How can you even ask if Statham is the latest Steven Seagal? Like I say: tyre and tree, one cannot compare. :D

Most of Statham's films are like British and American independent cinema of the 1960s/1970s - bank heist, loner guns, prisons, gangsters and more. He's the diluted version of Steve McQueen, David Carradine and, forgive me, Lee Marvin (Point Blank). That's the nearest I can get.

Actually, I'm pretty convinced that Statham's biggest influence is Michael Caine of the 1960s (Get Carter, The Italian Job, blah blah). Statham just hasn't what Caine had, though. Ditto with Daniel Craig, whom I also don't get. Like Statham, Daniel Craig is generally mediocre yet I'm always happy to watch his films. I think both are similar in many aspects. At least Statham doesn't pout as muh as Craig does. That's one advantage Statham has over Craig.

In fact, I tend to confuse Statham with Craig. Although I had seen Layer Cake and Bank Job a couple of times, I still keep thinking LC's lead actor was Statham and Bank Job's lead actor was Craig. I even thought Craig was in The Italian Job remake one time. :o

*a-hem* But yes, I'll see Safe. I like popcorn films.

Ugh. I cannot believe I'd just defended Statham, let alone compare him with the incomparable Lee Marvin. And on a Saturday morning, too. I think I'll go and cut my throat on a plastic knife. Maybe I'll be forgiven in the afterlife.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't he protect a kid in one of the transporter movies?

All his films are the same really.. car chases, lots of stunts and some kick ass martial arts. That's why they're good films. :) Oh and some great lines from Jason.
  • TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw it last night. It was enjoyable enough but not as good as 'Blitz' and 'The Mechanic'. 7/10
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen it, but I have seen the trailer. Jason's American accent in the trailer is appalling.
  • planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you like Jason Statham then you're gonna love this film. It delivers.....not by the bucketload but by the shedload. More people die in this film than in the Second World War :rolleyes:

Very entertaining, an acceptable plot and running storyline. Jason interacts well with the little Chinese girl. Thought that the no-violent scenes were more interesting than the usual, though well filmed, carnage.

Only had one issue with the film:
    Jason Statham contemplating suicide - IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!