Wii U stock shortages ahoy!

IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
Forum Member
Unless you've already pre-ordered, it's looking like there could well be huge stock shortages of the Wii U in the run up to Christmas:

http://computerandvideogames.com/374838/wii-u-shortage-feared-across-uk-retail

Comments

• gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive had one pre ordered from launch day..

so any messing from gamestation, the proverbial will hit the fan
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do I think the £199 premium I managed to wangle from Amazon will be one of the orders they don't have enough stock for.:mad::D

Fingers crossed that all pre-orders will at least be fulfilled by Christmas.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One reson for stock shortages in the shops is due to people pre-ordering multiple units to sell at inflated prices on Ebay running up to Christmas.

Many parents will be willing to pay anything for them on Ebay when they realise that there are no stocks in the shops.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zenith wrote: »
    One reson for stock shortages in the shops is due to people pre-ordering multiple units to sell at inflated prices on Ebay running up to Christmas.

Many parents will be willing to pay anything for them on Ebay when they realise that there are no stocks in the shops.

Yep, how to make a killing
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote: »
    There's another reason too.
    I've seen on forums that some are pre-ordering from multiple sites just in case there's a last minute price drop from one of them and also to see which gives a distpatch email first then they will just cancel the others at the last minute.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since Amazon have sold out of Black 32GB Wii U's I'm going to cancel my pre-order because they're not going to lower their prices. I've managed to get my Wii U from Sainsbury's for just £269.99 which is reasonable and I get about 500 nectar points.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't they do this with the Wii?

And were they not then accused of faking a shortage in order to drive people to think it was a massively in-demand product, and thus they should purchase one?
  • Jamesollier18Jamesollier18 Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Yet on the same page you can see that they list the NintendoLand Black Console Pack as being released on 30th November ............
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another total fail by nintendo, why do they not learn their lesson. The wii shortage was disgraceful with many not being able to get one for 3 months after release and here we are again with yet another shortage. Bit surprised actually considering there is no proper mario or zelda game on release day.
    Asda and sainsburys still have them but not sure for how much longer.

My son is gonna wait until a zelda game is released.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    And sadly the prices on certain auction websites have gone through the roof

I wish people wouldn't buy from arseholes like this but I guess your kid has to have the latest toy this Chrimbo...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nintendo-Wii-U-ZombiU-Premium-Pack-32GB-Console-Pre-order-Released-30-11-Black-/261119970891?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item3ccbf68e4b
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That article doesn't really prove anything.
  • jmjeffreyjmjeffrey Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Rich_L wrote: »
    And sadly the prices on certain auction websites have gone through the roof

I wish people wouldn't buy from arseholes like this but I guess your kid has to have the latest toy this Chrimbo...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nintendo-Wii-U-ZombiU-Premium-Pack-32GB-Console-Pre-order-Released-30-11-Black-/261119970891?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item3ccbf68e4b

I have pre-ordered five consoles, one for me and four to sell.

I seriously don't see what is wrong in doing that. I am simply cashing in on what will hopefully be quite a lucrative Christmas. If they don't sell at my asking price, I will simply return them within 30 days for a full refund, but I'm pretty sure they will.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmjeffrey wrote: »

I seriously don't see what is wrong in doing that. I am simply cashing in on what will hopefully be quite a lucrative Christmas. If they don't sell at my asking price, I will simply return them within 30 days for a full refund, but I'm pretty sure they will.

so four families pay through the nose..

mind you, if they wanted one bad enough, they would have pre ordered it..

like i did...

i personally dont agree with what you are doing though
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so four families pay through the nose..

mind you, if they wanted one bad enough, they would have pre ordered it..

like i did...

i personally dont agree with what you are doing though
    I'd say a large percentage of people who really want a Wii U for Christmas...won't have even heard of it yet.

Your average consumer only notices things when they start being heavily advertised (and so far I've only seen a tv ad once).

Those are the families who'll be most affected by scalpers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Like it or not we live in a capitalist society founded on the principle of buying consumables at a cheap enough price so as to sell them on for a profit.

I personally don't do this but i understand why others do and don’t have an issue with it.

I have my preorder with amazon which has been paid for with vouchers so i'm good to go. Roll on the end of November :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmjeffrey wrote: »

Wht you doing is so wrong, nintendo should stop people from doing what your doing by simply only allowing one per customer..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazon have now got these back for pre-order again, think its the cheapest as well, 248 quid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon have now got these back for pre-order again, think its the cheapest as well, 248 quid.

i saw your post re mario and zelda...well, it will have a mario, and zelda will come..

but nintendo are trying to be all grown up with zombi u, black ops and ac3

wii u is going to be amazing, cannot wait
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i saw your post re mario and zelda...well, it will have a mario, and zelda will come..

but nintendo are trying to be all grown up with zombi u, black ops and ac3

wii u is going to be amazing, cannot wait

Are there any timescales on Zelda and a proper mario game?, very surprised the new unit dont come with a proper mario game or zelda on release, it was sort of nintendo tradition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there any timescales on Zelda and a proper mario game?, very surprised the new unit dont come with a proper mario game or zelda on release, it was sort of nintendo tradition.

its nintendos tradition to hold back, we only had zelda last year, its not COD
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dont need to. Well especially not in Japan as launching with Monster Hunter is big. That title alone will make sure Wii U will be massive over the holiday season in Japan.

Nintendo are trying to let 3rd parties pick up a lot of the slack early on so we wont see those dreaded periods of droughts we have seen before with the Wii.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Looks like I'll be picking up a WIi U and 3DS XL combo next year. For the time being I've gotta say I'm happy with the 360 & Wii.
  • jmjeffreyjmjeffrey Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Wht you doing is so wrong, nintendo should stop people from doing what your doing by simply only allowing one per customer..

It's my prerogative and I will do whatever I can to make as much money as possible with these consoles.

It's called initiative.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    You do realise that New Super Mario Bros U IS a proper Mario game, right?