Film stars who hated each other on set

Comments

• LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read yesterday Megan Fox compared Michael Bay to Hitler which pissed off Jewish Steven Spielberg. For that she got the boot.

There's a whole saga between her and Bay that's a lot heavier than the Yahoo summary above suggests, with both of them saying some pretty detrimental things to one another. Neither of them come out well from it, with Bay in particular sounding a complete dolt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Christopher Plummer didn;t like Julie Andrews.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-401463.html

I don't think thats true (or I don't want it to be true :D ) but I saw them being interviewed together on Oprah recently and they were very nice about each other http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/The-Making-of-The-Sound-of-Music/5
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not 100% sure but didn't Tony Curtis say that kissing Marilyn Monroe in Some Like It Hot was like kissing Hitler?

How'd he know? :eek:

Wasn't it Clark Gable who said that?

Oooh I think i recall reading that Gable and Vivienne Leigh did not get on during filming Gone With The Wind.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The French actress, Virginie something, was really uncomfortable with Leonardo di Caprio and other actors during the making of The Beach. She preferred to hang out with her on-location interpreter and one French actor only. This annoyed LDC and others enough to avoid her except when necessary. LDC got on with everyone else though.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darren McGavin fell out with Burt Reynolds on "Riverboat" because the veteran actor didn't think the young whippersnapper was showing him enough respect. The never spoke to each other off-camera and when the series ended, never made up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sid James and Kenneth Williams didn't get on nor did Wilfred Brambell and Harry H Corbett.
  • justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pierce Brosnan and Teri Hatcher on the set of Tomorrow Never Dies is fairly well known.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,750
    Forum Member
    Not exactly between two film stars, but actor Ed Harris punched James Cameron in the face when the director almost allowed Harris to suffocate as a way to add realism in the film 'The Abyss'. Harris vowed never again to work with Cameron, who is apparently notoriously difficult to work with.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tippi Hedren and Alfred Hitchcock

Klaus Kinski and Werner Herzog
    (although this was a positive feud, as even though they wound each other up tremendously they realised they begrudgingly brought the best out of each other)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPKODzv1PD4

Sarah Jessica Parker and Kim Cattrall (allegedly)
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Sylar11 wrote: »
    Not exactly between two film stars, but actor Ed Harris punched James Cameron in the face when the director almost allowed Harris to suffocate as a way to add realism in the film 'The Abyss'. Harris vowed never again to work with Cameron, who is apparently notoriously difficult to work with.

Didn't he just to always call Kate Winslet fat on the set of Titanic? And tell everyone not to let her eat any fatty foods so if she went for lunch she'd be refused anything that wasn't salad.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eduble wrote: »
    Really? I'm thought I saw an interview where she said she liked working with him, and she spoke about his relationship with Angelina Jolie.

The original story is not true then, if you saw that interview.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »

Megan Fox and Michael Bay
    Megan Fox shot herself in the foot when she slammed ‘Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen’ director Michael Bay for focusing on special effects and not acting (probably for the best as it starred Shia LaBeouf and, well, Megan Fox). Bay responded with; “That’s Megan Fox for you. She says some very ridiculous things because she’s 23 years old and she still has a lot of growing to do. You roll your eyes when you see statements like that”. He then didn’t cast her in the next ‘Transformers’ film. Whoops.

Megan Fox wasn't cast in the 3rd film because she likened Bay to Hitler, and Spielberg basically put his foot down and said she is having no part of 3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin Smith and Bruce Willis when filming Cop Out. Smith claimed that Willis was near impossible to direct and would rarely ever listen to him or any other crew members or actors. Smith also slammed Willis when he refused to take part in promoting the film whereas Willis just said that Smith was a slacker (well isn't that what well known for?).

Will Ferrell has also been known to be hard to work with on sets, one time in particular during Anchorman where he seemed to just not show up some days which particularly annoyed his co-star Christina Applegate who had to go on and shoot scenes without him, even though hes meant to be there.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Planet was 2000, Heat was 1995, i wonder how Sizemore and Kilmer got on during the filming of that film.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Planet was 2000, Heat was 1995, i wonder how Sizemore and Kilmer got on during the filming of that film.

I doubt they would have caused any trouble because Michael Mann was the director and they were acting alongside Robert De Niro, Al Pacino and Jon Voight. Had they have caused trouble their reputation would have discredited since they had the opportunity with such great actors and a critically acclaimed director.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Yul Brunner and Steve McQueen didn't get on during the making of The Magnificent Seven. Brynner was convinced McQueen was constantly trying to upstage him when they appeared together - watch McQueen when Brynner is talking, he's usually doing something to attract attention away from Brynner such as playing with his hat or shaking shotgun cartridges.

Brynner also wanted to appear much taller than McQueen so would build mounds of earth to stand on when they were filming together. McQueen would take great delight in kicking them down.
  • trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yul Brunner and Steve McQueen didn't get on during the making of The Magnificent Seven. Brynner was convinced McQueen was constantly trying to upstage him when they appeared together - watch McQueen when Brynner is talking, he's usually doing something to attract attention away from Brynner such as playing with his hat or shaking shotgun cartridges.

Brynner also wanted to appear much taller than McQueen so would build mounds of earth to stand on when they were filming together. McQueen would take great delight in kicking them down.

I find this really funny for some reason!!
    I'm going to have to seek out the film to see it.... Although, in fairness, maybe McQueen thought it looked more believable to be doing something rather than just waiting to deliver his lines?

Another couple who had problems on set were Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable - I read she hated kissing him because he's supposed to have had halitosis, poor guy:eek:
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bill Murray & Lucy Liu didn't get along on the set of Charlie's Angels
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    George Lazenby and Diana Rigg in On Her Majestys Secret Service.

Throughout the filming of the movie, there were rumours they did not get on, owing to a personality clash. The rumors may have arisen from a reporter witnessing her say "I'm having garlic for lunch George, I hope you are!" before a love scene between the two. However, both denied the claims, and both wrote off the garlic comment as a joke.
  • DJFairborne77DJFairborne77 Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    I read somewhere once (probably in a magazine) that Sharon Stone & William Baldwin didn't get on when they were making ''Sliver''.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re: the feud between Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski.

The pair of them frequently clashed during the filming of Aguirre, Wrath of God and Fitzcaraldo but the partnership was very productive. It's alleged that Herzog held a gun to Kinski's head at one point...

Actors and directors often fail to see eye to eye but sometimes the tension can create great performances. Stanley Kubrick is a good example. He'd often make his actors to take after take of a scene until they were almost exhausted. He reduced Shelley Duvall to tears several times during the making of The Shining but she still respected him afterwards!

As for the legendary "like kissing Hitler" remark by Tony Curtis regarding Marilyn Monroe, he has alternately denied saying it or admitted to saying it only as a joke. However, whether he said it or not makes no difference to how pretty much everyone felt about Marilyn on the set of the film. She was very difficult to work with, always late, forgetting her lines and frequently in a state of drug-addled confusion. She would forget the simplest of lines which eventually led director Billy Wilder to write some of her lines on a blackboard for her to read on set. It led to a lot of frustration for the other actors...
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevin Smith and Bruce Willis when filming Cop Out. Smith claimed that Willis was near impossible to direct and would rarely ever listen to him or any other crew members or actors. Smith also slammed Willis when he refused to take part in promoting the film whereas Willis just said that Smith was a slacker (well isn't that what well known for?).

Will Ferrell has also been known to be hard to work with on sets, one time in particular during Anchorman where he seemed to just not show up some days which particularly annoyed his co-star Christina Applegate who had to go on and shoot scenes without him, even though hes meant to be there.
    Hard to believe Ferrell is a hard-ass on set, you never hear bad press about him, and only that he is the nicest actor in Hollywood and always has time for his fans and stuff. I wonder if that's true about Anchorman.

I did see clips of Kevin Smiths stage tour where he described the whole Cop Out thing saying that it was weird that Willis contacted him and said they should do a movie together and Smith was in awe of this, but when it came to making the movie, Willis was a complete ass during it's making and afterwards. I'd believe the whole Willis stuff, he does seem to be as arrogan and cock as some of his characters are in his films.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread's been done before, by the way

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1323528
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    its widely known that the Sex and the City girls don't get along (Sarah Jessica Parker and Kim Catrall in particular) so I'm sure the filming of the 2 films had its of camera 'moments'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I doubt this, they've known each other for years, Smith even being a fan of Willis since Die Hard, and he wanted to work with him I imagine.

Edit - Disregard what I said, I just read up on it