First time ever Brazil & Argentina in the semis together

Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,680
Forum Member
✭✭
Incredible statistic that isnt it ? Two major forces in the game yet they have never both been in the semi finals together.

Could it be the final for the first time ever too ?

Comments

• MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    Incredible statistic that isnt it ? Two major forces in the game yet they have never both been in the semi finals together.

Yes it's unusual although I can recall the teams bumping into each other in earlier rounds such as in 1978, 1982 and 1990.
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is an astonishing statistic.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My eyebrow just went all Roger Moore
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No. Neither team will get that far. Might be a game for 3rd place for the first time ever though :p
  • nevadanevada Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is jaw dropping.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    think they said its also only the second time Germany will have played brazil in a world cup which I found quite surprising
  • Dave 101Dave 101 Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those facts make for quite interesting semi-finals. looking forward to both.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 2002 final between Germany v Brazil was dire because Germany were rubbish and Brazil were clearly the much stronger side. Now the roles are reversed and I expect Germany to be much stronger than Brazil. 2:0 win for Germany in a boring semi-final :p

The Holland v Argentina game promises to be a lot more interesting. It's going to be difficult, but I think the Dutch will win it just about.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither Argentina or Brazil have looked particularly special (bar Neymar and Messi), to be honest.

I'd much rather see a Germany vs. Netherlands final.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither Argentina or Brazil have looked particularly special (bar Neymar and Messi), to be honest.

I'd much rather see a Germany vs. Netherlands final.

no one has looked particular special, thats why its so exciting for me. if costa rica had made semis i dont think i would give them any less of a chance of winning the whole damn thing lol!

bar the spain mauling holland have not beat anyone by more than one goal margin i think, argentina have not smashed anyone full stop. germany also edging past opponents since game 1 and brazil missing best player and keep being told how poor they are.

i hope for a brazil argentina final but either way it will be a cracker with this final 4.
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    no one has looked particular special, thats why its so exciting for me. if costa rica had made semis i dont think i would give them any less of a chance of winning the whole damn thing lol!

bar the spain mauling holland have not beat anyone by more than one goal margin i think, argentina have not smashed anyone full stop. germany also edging past opponents since game 1 and brazil missing best player and keep being told how poor they are.

i hope for a brazil argentina final but either way it will be a cracker with this final 4.

I would have loved it to be a Brazil v. Argentina with Neymar playing even though the guy was badly injured. Imagine Neymar against Messi who would be crowned best international player this year. Probably Messi or should I say Messiah because he seems to be the only player in Argentina anyone mentions - what about the rest of the players do they not count.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,989
    Forum Member
    Brazil and Germany have only met twice in the history of the World cup which is pretty weird baring in mind they both usually reach the final stages.