Options

The Casualty Thread (Spoilers) (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    So this is Loftys storyline and the actor goes to prove all he can do is simpering wet looks and wet faces. Best kept to a few lines per episode and falling over mop buckets.

I'd agree with you if he'd been given a gritty storyline and had done that, but the storyline wasn't gritty. He did what was asked of the character for that storyline.
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skteosk wrote: »
    Charlie was evasive with the police but I think where he really crossed the line was when he marched up to Rita and said "They haven't released Connie yet so you need to retract your statement." I don't think it's his place to say that, especially when he basically thinks Rita is "right", in the sense of being right about what happened, he just thinks she isn't morally right.

I didn't think it was in keeping with Charlie's character, i though Charlie would be a little more noncommittal rather than clearly siding with Connie. It didn't sit right with me, there IS evidence against Connie and i think he should have let the investigation follow its course. While I don't agree with what Rita did at the end, by Charlie pressurising Rita to not report Connie in the first place he was kind of trying to do what Rita did at the end, just in the opposite (covering up a potential crime vs framing).

If it had all gone as it should:

Rita had reasons to be suspicious.
    Suspicions reported as they should be (and i hope any nurse/doctor would do)
    Police investigate the potential crime
    Connie tells them about the tablets
    Tablets discovered to back up Connie's story
    Police decide on next point of action (I am not sure that would totally clear Connie, there are still questions to answer in my opinion)

Charlie stopping Rita reporting it gets in the way of justice.
    Rita removing the tablets gets in the way of justice.
    Neither are right but i think if Rita reported Connie and then the tablets were found to back up Connie's story then everyone had done the right thing in regards to reporting and investigating the crime.
  • Options
    jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
    Forum Member
    Wow Rita has reached a new low. She is a disgrace to the nursing profession. What she did is UNACCEPTABLE and I hope she will face serious consequences from the nursing panel if she gets caught.
  • Options
    kenny7kenny7 Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man I hate Rita.
  • Options
    Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    Hopefully Rita becomes a alcoholic again for 2 episodes but this time she chokes on her sick while sleeping and dies.... and that is nice death for this horrid cow. Was hoping someone would slap her in this episode acting so high and mighty. Glad Charlie sees through her. Terrible character played by a terrible actress, the sooner she is gone the better.

I realised tonight I cant stand many of the characters; none interest me. The ones I like are never in it half the time. Hopefully Dylan and Lily feature more in the next few months.
  • Options
    NMdum1NMdum1 Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, NMdum1 i do enjoy your posts on the main, but i do think you are being a tad overdramatic with some of your assumptions here. I am not sure Connie would commit suicide if convicted or that she wouldn't be able to "survive" in jail, I think she would get through it..... also Connie did address the £30k issue and said it would make no difference to her life. Quite a few points made me think "No, i don't agree" but i have had far too much red wine to remember :D
    Melodramatic? Moi? It doesn't help that they're for blatant melodrama anyway....

In a parallel universe where she will be convicted - her sense of self is so wrapped up in her job that take it away and there's nothing really anymore. Most people survive prison by a combination of making friends on the Inside and having the support of loved ones on the Outside. She has no one on the Outside who really cares (except possibly Elliot Hope), her most important day-to-day relationship are her workmates and they believe she's guilty - I wonder what they would feel if it was Zoe i.e. somebody they liked and cared about, they'd be up at the station demanding to see Zoe and insisting that she didn't do anything, probably very different. It's probably impossible to have meaningful contact with Grace and Sam probably wouldn't agree to it anyway. She'd likely become a memory in her child's life and that's probably all - somebody and adult Grace might think she is better-of without. Her chances of actually making real friendship on the Inside are minimal because a) she isn't easy to like, b) she does have weak social skills and c) she's nothing in-common with most of the people in-prison. Depression has been implied to run in her family in the past. I don't know the precise statistics for middle-class professionals in-prison, but they are particularly vulnerable because they are the least equipped emotionally for the hardship and she's not in-control anymore, her compulsive need to control her environment caused a lot of problems with Rita to start with - you can't do that in-prison. I think she'd break. That's the point. I think she has a tendency to piss people off, sometimes when she's not even trying to and this time, she's really done it....

I just have a problem with the whole storyline, some details more than other - it does nobody any favours in the long-run, which is what I meant by bear-bating in a post of I believe Wednesday. That much my dear gilesb, I am sure we can agree on. And if she was going to kill somebody, you can expect she'd be more competent than that about it!

£30k thing is just silly. It's a brilliant case of assuming that everybody's like you and that everybody sees money in the same way. I have an uncle and aunt who are now retired from what was the Strathclyde force and actually did murder enquiries (amongst many other things), I would love to know what they thought of it (they gave me really clear instructions about what to do if I was arrested - all of which Connie didn't do). Real interviewing from what understand is much more of a conversation, giving the suspect the opportunity to put across their story and then chipping away at it. This DI already knew he was going to Charge, he just was just waiting for her to be stupid and she did.

Just really not cool....

Added - I would rather Rita have reported it to her line manager or better yet, Connie's (it's been implied that Connie and Guy Self are not on as close terms anymore since the Inspection, possibly since Jeff died and he has a tendency to stab people in the back to protect himself, so he'd probably be happy to get rid of somebody whose a little bit too independent for his tastes.) It's not that Rita didn't have solid reasons for concerns, its that she didn't think through the 'how'. She needed to be sure she was thinking clearly (they do hate each other after-all) and that means talking to somebody who isn't Charlie first, even Dylan or Zoe and let them make the call. That way it's 'clean' and HR-like so to speak. Charlie was probably trying to manoeuvre things so that he could be sure and then if he did think she'd done it, well, then he'd make the decision when he crossed that bridge. And then to be so happy about what should be a devestating situation for everybody, not cool!
  • Options
    KFAKFA Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen last nights episode as yet but I think it was the carer at the home who gave Alfred the overdose after Connie left.
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if Connie's innocence is proved , she did admit she had considered mercy killing and stole the pills.
    That in itself would get her dismissed and probably struck off
    There's no way she can return as a doctor.
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The police scenes were laughable imo. That started with having Connie basically being able to hide behind something in the cell (great way of monitoring prisoners!), continued with them man-handling her into the interview room and then she sank herself. Her lawyer was clearly a non-speaking part which made him redundant!

Charlie was shifty in the extreme in his police interview.

Rita - heinous bitch.

Like Ethan and Cal.

I hope the Lofty walking into a door does go somewhere, else that was a wasted plot point.

My main concern all episode was that the most senior doctor on the ward was Cal! Best not to get admitted that day!
  • Options
    chrisgwfcchrisgwfc Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    It might be an unpopular view but I'm going to stick up a but for Rita here and say had the police not burst into the office seconds after she found the pills she would have retracted her statement.

I think she heard the pills were in her draw and went to look for them. I think she was genuinely shocked there were only 2 pills missing and at that moment she knew she must have been wrong about Connie killing Alfred.

However, before she had any chance to process this information or think what she was going to do next the police knocked on the door and as a reaction she hid the pills from them until she could think about what she was going to do.

Of course in the mean time that means the police don't believe Connie's story and have now charged her with murder. Still think next week Rita will come clean at the trial and will somehow keep her job as a result.
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The police scenes were laughable imo. That started with having Connie basically being able to hide behind something in the cell (great way of monitoring prisoners!), continued with them man-handling her into the interview room and then she sank herself. Her lawyer was clearly a non-speaking part which made him redundant!

Charlie was shifty in the extreme in his police interview.

Rita - heinous bitch.

Like Ethan and Cal.

I hope the Lofty walking into a door does go somewhere, else that was a wasted plot point.

My main concern all episode was that the most senior doctor on the ward was Cal! Best not to get admitted that day!

It wouldn't be too much a problem, he would no doubt have left mid shift anyway.
  • Options
    Hannah_F.Hannah_F. Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    chrisgwfc wrote: »
    It might be an unpopular view but I'm going to stick up a but for Rita here and say had the police not burst into the office seconds after she found the pills she would have retracted her statement.

I think she heard the pills were in her draw and went to look for them. I think she was genuinely shocked there were only 2 pills missing and at that moment she knew she must have been wrong about Connie killing Alfred.

However, before she had any chance to process this information or think what she was going to do next the police knocked on the door and as a reaction she hid the pills from them until she could think about what she was going to do.

Of course in the mean time that means the police don't believe Connie's story and have now charged her with murder. Still think next week Rita will come clean at the trial and will somehow keep her job as a result.

I like this idea. She did seem very disturbed by what she'd done afterwards, and obviously she regrets it and realises that she was wrong to call the police seeing as there was only two pills missing. It was a split second decision, perhaps aided by the fact that she didn't want to be caught snooping in Connie's office. I think the whole point of the title 'the Rita Supremacy' is to highlight the irony of the situation, as one of her biggest flaws is her self-righteousness, which has now come into question. It should be interesting to see her character break down next week, and I'm looking forward to her first exchange with Connie out of prison.

Rita's one of the most interesting characters to me, and I think there's still a lot of her backstory to explore. It's particularly intriguing that her way of dealing with things is to just get rid of them. She managed to omit Mark from her life completely whilst he was in prison, and now she's attempting to do the same with Connie (who, let's face it, bullied her for weeks). I saw an interesting post on Tumblr concerning the thing she said to Lofty about people coming to love their abusers, and somebody mentioned that it sounded like she was talking from experience. I'd love the show to go deeper into that, whether they were talking about her or the teenage girl her husband was abusing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wouldn't be too much a problem, he would no doubt have left mid shift anyway.

Valid point. Rita watched Connie do a lift operation last week anyway, so she's basically a doctor now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    johartuk wrote: »
    The Connie situation is dragging on. I thought the police interview scenes were laughable. The police officers were so clichéd and the whole thing was completely OTT.

The storyline with the two teenagers (and the girl's mum) was interesting.

When Lofty hit his head against the door, that looked really painful! I wonder whether that head injury is going to flare up? He actually looked really ill in that last scene with Max and Robyn, and I was half expecting him to keel over. He handled the situation badly, but not through any kind of malice.

I felt sorry for Robyn, but she was a bit hypocritical, given that she hadn't told Lofty straight out how she felt about him (it was Louise who told him). Ditto Max, who was more than happy to collude in Lofty's plan to let a girl down, and take the p*ss out of the situation...until he found out that the 'girl' was his sister!

I loved the scene where Lofty was tongue-tied when he met the attractive patient! Though when she was talking about her boyfriend (who'd basically dumped her by text!), she came across a bit stalkerish!

I had previously sympathised with Rita, but I agree that what she did in tonight's ep was appalling! The only thing I can think of is that maybe she took the tablets because she thought they'd incriminate Connie and was trying to help? If not...I can't see how she'll come back from that!

I actually cannot stand Connie but I do like Rita (don't hate me!) and this was my thinking and then when she realised most of the tablets were still there she was going to put them back but the police entered and she didn't want it to seem like she was trying to incriminate Connie. This was my immediate thinking and not after a little bit of thought but I guess we'll find out soon enough!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually cannot stand Connie but I do like Rita (don't hate me!) and this was my thinking and then when she realised most of the tablets were still there she was going to put them back but the police entered and she didn't want it to seem like she was trying to incriminate Connie. This was my immediate thinking and not after a little bit of thought but I guess we'll find out soon enough!

I did wonder this too. Ambiguous writing/acting.

Mind you, Connie was written appallingly last night imo so not a great night all round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rita committed a crime and she should pay for this. She framed Connie and she shouldn't get away with it. Sadly she probably won't be punished.

Many people are Team Connie on FB and Twitter but it's hardly surprising because Rita shouldn't have framed Connie. I think Rita is so annoying and it's a shame because I used to like her.
  • Options
    Hannah_F.Hannah_F. Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    jamesc_715 wrote: »
    Rita committed a crime and she should pay for this. She framed Connie and she shouldn't get away with it. Sadly she probably won't be punished.

Many people are Team Connie on FB and Twitter but it's hardly surprising because Rita shouldn't have framed Connie. I think Rita is so annoying and it's a shame because I used to like her.

Nothing really justifies what Rita did, but we shouldn't forget that Connie's had it in for her for months. I think that, if their positions were reversed, Connie would have done the same thing. They are very similar characters to a certain degree.
  • Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    I didn't have any problems with Rita or what she has done over the past couple of episodes UNTIL the last 10 minutes or so when she swiped those tablets, for which there is no excuse !!!

There were definite (in my eyes anyway) reasons for someone (anyone!) to be suspicious about Connie

Rita was perfectly within her rights to report her suspicions to the police and yes I suppose she could have gone to someone higher up the chain first but was perhaps worried about that causing a delay maybe enabling Connie to destroy evidence or something. And I'm not sure what I'd do in that circumstance but have to say my first thought if I suspected somebody had committed a crime in my (also NHS) workplace would be to phone the police, rather than contacting my line manager - because that's what I've always thought they're there for!!!

And as someone else has said in reality both characters would be up the creek without the proverbial paddle. Rita should be facing a charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice and Connie could I'm sure be charged with the theft of controlled drugs, both of which would I'm sure be enough to get them struck off (or at the very least suspended) from their respective registers meaning they would be unable to practice. However, am sure these tiny little details *roll eyes smilie* (I don't know why they don't just bring it back!!) will be swept under the carpet never to be spoken of again!!

Onto other matters:

liked the Cal/Ethan interactions and how Ethan was just so good this week

am really not sure that any A&E dept could cope with only one consultant who 'is in meetings' for the majority of the day and whatever role Rita is playing with Charlie and Tess as back-up (implausible doesn't really cover it!!!)

it felt like Sunetra was back on Strictly to me - just popping up every now and then to let us know that she is still there (although do still love her interactions with Max :) so as long as we get a couple of them each week suppose I should be satisfied)

quite liked the resolution of the Robyn/Lofty crush thing, although I'd have thought Max would already have known that Kathy was engaged (porters and receptionists have always known everything about everyone in all the hospitals I've worked in!!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hannah_F. wrote: »
    Nothing really justifies what Rita did, but we shouldn't forget that Connie's had it in for her for months. I think that, if their positions were reversed, Connie would have done the same thing. They are very similar characters to a certain degree.
    I disagree. Connie would never stoop that low to frame an innocent person to jail. Connie might get Rita the sack but to let an innocent person spend the rest of the life in jail? I don't think so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamesc_715 wrote: »
    I disagree. Connie would never stoop that low to frame an innocent person to jail. Connie might get Rita the sack but to let an innocent person spend the rest of the life in jail? I don't think so.

I don't think Connie would fabricate evidence. I don't think in general Rita bothers Connie as she sees her as an annoyance - her 'I want you out in 6 months' is more a reflection of Rita's shoddy professionalism, whereas it seems to be a personal thing for Rita.

Therefore, I don't think Connie would lift a finger to help cover up a misdemeanour of Rita's but I don't think she'd construe evidence to get rid of her. I think Connie believes Rita will do herself out of a job before long anyway (which is a possibility).

I sound very Team Connie. I'm really not. I'd like Dylan as clinical lead as I think he'd actually cut through the bs in a manageable way without being vindictive as he doesn't have enough people skills to BE vindictive.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found that episode contrived, boring and predictable. It really is storylines by numbers now.

Lofty, Rita and Robyn need to go and they could take Cal and Ethan with them imo. And I wouldn't miss Dixie either.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hannah_F. wrote: »

Connie may be a hard faced old bat at times but as we have seen from her character in Holby City she actually goes out of her way to find the real culprit not set someone up as Rita has done.

Rita was clearly enjoying the department without Connie and she to my mind deliberately took the tablets from the drawer she did not intent to put them back, she was shocked only two had gone as that would not support her story and if they were found Connie would return and Rita would also not be popular for what she did as everyone would see she acted in great haste rather than ask Connie a simple question . If she had just wanted the truth to be known then she would not have sneeked into the office to get there before the police and would have handed the tablets to the police and pointed out only two were missing . This is a case of pure revenge on Rita's part and I really do not see a way back from her from this, a shame as she could have been a good character.
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jade Ewen, beautiful, gorgeous and sexy...... mmm. Don't blame Lofty for being unprofessional by letting her kiss him

Did anything else interesting happen in last night's episode?
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Connie broke the cardinal rule of being interviewed by the Police , get a good brief and dont elaborate or say anything until you have time to clear your head if they are trying to put words in your mouth.

Also the Police Detective is vile, staff should have been warned about her trying to put words in peoples mouths when being interviewed.

IMO Connies brief is useless, shes for the high jump , unless something major happens to save her and sink the Bitch.
  • Options
    skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personal feelings aside, I think this largely came down to another instance of Rita's tendency for crusading and obsessive desire to take down "the bad guys" backfiring. She starts the episode walking into work, head held high and smile on her face, thinking "Yay, I exposed Connie as a criminal and took her down, everyone's going to see me as a hero", and ends it walking out of work hunched over, glancing around furtively, thinking "Oh no, I got it wrong, everyone's going to hate me." I really can't think of any good reason for her to have gone into the office, she'd done her part, she should have let the police search in peace. Maybe her primary motivation was to reassure herself that she was right, maybe she'd have put the pills back, pretended she was never there and started thinking up excuses if she hadn't been interrupted, but I suspect it mainly happened for plot reasons, same as Rita seeing Connie with the pills, so Charlie will remember seeing her there.

Incidentally, I think Ethan's senior to Cal? I've a feeling Cal's still only a locum, which might explain the oddly coloured scrubs.
This discussion has been closed.