Options

Star Wars live action TV series

MacLovinMacLovin Posts: 2,769
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know it was put on hold some time back but does anyone think this will ever become reality ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    supposedly they've got 50 odd episodes written already. I don't see how they could have budget difficulties with the billions star wars stuff makes each year and with any potential show they are bound to make more toys etc.

whether it will see the light of day is anyone's guess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    supposedly they've got 50 odd episodes written already. I don't see how they could have budget difficulties with the billions star wars stuff makes each year and with any potential show they are bound to make more toys etc.

whether it will see the light of day is anyone's guess.

It will probably never make it air really, as budget concerns are a major factor for tv networks, who only make revenue from ads and sponsors, not from merchandise sales.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to wiki entry,
    According to Lucas, the series is on hold awaiting advances in technology and reductions in prices.[6] Rick McCallum, the Star Wars and Red Tails producer involved with the project, indicated in 2011 that it would be at least another "three or four years".[4]
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    It will probably never make it air really, as budget concerns are a major factor for tv networks, who only make revenue from ads and sponsors, not from merchandise sales.

Budget concerns are largely irrelevant as Lucas is funding the series, just like he does the Clone Wars.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they'll start work on it when The Clone Wars series ends. People seem to think Lucas has unlimited funds etc; well there's plenty of factors in producing any TV series, let alone one of this scale, and ultimately it's a risk for whichever US network ends up taking it on (my guess is abc or Fox).

Lucas has also burnt a lot of bridges over the years, not least when he told the writer's guild, actor's guild etc. to go stuff themselves, which meant that no-one in those guilds could work for him on the prequel trilogy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the idea but will it work, I'm not sure.

There is plenty of life in the Star Wars universe as the sale of all things Star Wars show and Yoda sell mobile phones but I just can't quite see it myself.

Plus with all the problems Lucas has had as noted above with the Guilds, sounds like a line from one of films, I can't help but think the show could get tied up in knots even if it get into production.

But I'll keep my fingers crossed that it makes if from the script on the page to the show on the box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Budget concerns?

Surely with all the tat Lucas peddles he’ll be richer than god by now?
  • Options
    MacLovinMacLovin Posts: 2,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea but will it work, I'm not sure.

There is plenty of life in the Star Wars universe as the sale of all things Star Wars show and Yoda sell mobile phones but I just can't quite see it myself.

Plus with all the problems Lucas has had as noted above with the Guilds, sounds like a line from one of films, I can't help but think the show could get tied up in knots even if it get into production.

But I'll keep my fingers crossed that it makes if from the script on the page to the show on the box.

There are so many avenues that can be explored within the star wars universe all it needs is a good director and good screenplays.
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they'll start work on it when The Clone Wars series ends. People seem to think Lucas has unlimited funds etc; well there's plenty of factors in producing any TV series, let alone one of this scale, and ultimately it's a risk for whichever US network ends up taking it on (my guess is abc or Fox).

Lucas has also burnt a lot of bridges over the years, not least when he told the writer's guild, actor's guild etc. to go stuff themselves, which meant that no-one in those guilds could work for him on the prequel trilogy.

He still sees himself as an 'outsider' to the establishment. But, he has infact created his own 'empire' in more ways than one. And the money he's made...And continues to make. Star Wars is a cash cow whose udders must have mastitis due to Lucas over-milking it.
  • Options
    Nigel82Nigel82 Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    So now that Disney have bought Lucasfilm and announced new films, I presume we won't be seeing this live cation show now?
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nigel82 wrote: »
    So now that Disney have bought Lucasfilm and announced new films, I presume we won't be seeing this live cation show now?

Who knows. Disney bought Marvel and following the success of the Avengers movies a SHIELD live action tv show is in the works.

So if the new SW movies also do well they may also go down the same route.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Who knows. Disney bought Marvel and following the success of the Avengers movies a SHIELD live action tv show is in the works.

So if the new SW movies also do well they may also go down the same route.
    Yeah, there's only two things worth bothering with at Lucasfilm. Star Wars and Indiana Jones. I'm sure Disney plans to maximise what it can from those franchises.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nigel82 wrote: »

Clicky
  • Options
    GrafelfingGrafelfing Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Disney own the ABC network, and a TV series set between the first two trilogies would be a good way to keep one foot in the exisitng movies, while going ahead with their own.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After playing the Knights of the Old Republic game I would enjoy a series set before the movies. Though I would personally prefer a high concept, sci-fi drama of the standard of Lost than a family friendly show (like Doctor Who).