Did anyone else stop watching?...when/why?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
Forum Member
I'm wondering if anyone else has stopped watching, if so, when and why?

I stopped a few weeks ago, can't remember the week, but it was the one where Christopher was on first and I was watching 'live', I switched over only intending to miss the first act but when I switched back I'd missed most of Jahmene's song. I'm not a huge Jahmene fan but it was then that it hit me that if an act is so annoying that I actually have to change channel when he's on screen then why am I really watching the show, other than out of habit. So I switched off and I've not even been tempted to switch back. I'm interested to see who gets through, but only to the extent of checking the forums. Reading that Chris is still in has only made me happier I stopped watching.

It's not just this year, every year they find some idiot with a shady past that they know the public won't like and keep them in to cause annoyance and all the publicity that comes with it. I figure that I need to be entertained not annoyed and frustrated every weekend. :mad: So for me, this year was the last year.

In contrast I've been following I'm a celeb and it's down to the final 4 (3 now) and everyone in the final are nice. It's been really funny, relaxing and a pleasure to watch them instead of annoying and frustrating like the XF. If XF was more like this years celeb perhaps it wouldn't be going down the toilet faster than a flushed malony.

A lot of people talk about switching off and now that some good acts have been booted leaving the bad joke to spoil the show I'm wondering how many others have actually switched off?

Comments

• VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll watch until the bitter end this year... but if I don't like the look of the judging panel I'll probably skip XF 2013.
  • alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sherriesim wrote: »
    It's not just this year, every year they find some idiot with a shady past that they know the public won't like and keep them in to cause annoyance and all the publicity that comes with it.

If by the BIB you mean Christopher then it seems from the amount of votes he gets that the public really do like him.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped watching after auditions and JH, basically once the final 12 were revealed. Just keep up with comments, the forum, and the occasional Youtube performance.

Honestly, it used to be essential viewing on a Saturday night. Then recently it was something to watch, this year its been something I'd rather not watch. Utterly boring and faked up, unlikeable contestants. Still watch the Sunday results show for the live performances, No Doubt in particular were good this year and Rihanna last week, and looking forward to seeing Tulisa make a fool of herself Sunday coming :D
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Stopped watching properly after the Cher Lloyd/ Mary Byrne series when the manipulation became really obvious.

Dip in and out of it these days, but wasn't impressed with the JH candidates, or the final 12 this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stopped watching after the auditions - seen about 3 halves of an episode since - on in the background - No talent quite simply.
  • IsItThatDeepIsItThatDeep Posts: 1,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't watched a live show all this series, tuned out after the first two weeks of auditions. I TiVo it and just watch the performances, cutting out the judges and the VT's, sob stories etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member
    I watch the performances online, and only the performances. The trouble is, without the context of the show, the reference is real life performers, and the XF performances seem even poorer.
  • TreewatcherTreewatcher Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just this year, every year they find some idiot with a shady past that they know the public won't like and keep them in to cause annoyance and all the publicity that comes with it. I figure that I need to be entertained not annoyed and frustrated every weekend. :mad: So for me, this year was the last year.

In contrast I've been following I'm a celeb and it's down to the final 4 (3 now) and everyone in the final are nice. It's been really funny, relaxing and a pleasure to watch them instead of annoying and frustrating like the XF. If XF was more like this years celeb perhaps it wouldn't be going down the toilet faster than a flushed malony.

I can't believe that you would think that people force-feeding themselves with insects is "relaxing"!!:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I was so close to quitting watching when James and Ella were bottom two. I was ranting and swearing and basically being unladylike (bad paperplanes! :D). I probably would have stopped if James was voted off but I like him so I still watch it...although I don't really pay attention when Chris is on. I go make a cuppa. Oops :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    I stopped when District3 got put out.

Not because they were my favourites just because I realised I didn't actually care about any of the finalists, and it had been like that since Jade left.
  • mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stoped watching this year wen rylan got saved in a sing off against Carolyn in the first week can't sing shud have gone week 1
  • SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Week 2, I couldn't force myself to watch once (in my opinion) the best singer had left (Melanie).
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    if they reveal the voting next year i will stop watching
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching when Ella left. She was my favourite, but that's not even the reason I stopped watching. I actually started to care less about her each week. I just don't care about most of the contestants who are left at all. Previous years when my favourite had to leave the competition, I continued watching, because I was still interested in the other contestants; what they would sing each week and who won in the end. I just don't give a sh*t at all this year. Last week I did watch back Union J's performance. For some reason I'm the most interested in them from all the contestants who are left. I think it has something to do with that one guy in the group who can really sing. I love hearing him sing. But I'm not going to watch a 2 hour show for that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm recording and watching bits. I miss out all the ads (obviously), any sob stories, any "last week I sang ... and the judges said ... " and any performances of, and feedback to, Christopher.

The only bits of Xtra Factor I watch are the judges and, if I like 'em, any celebrity guests.

So very little this year. I'm probably on her longer than watching the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stopped watching after week one and only watch the last 15 mins of the result show. But I do go onto youtube to check out what they sang etc.
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only watch it on Catch Up. Sometimes it takes less than 20 minutes if you skip all the faux drama, adverts and acts you can't stand anyway, actually make that 10 minutes. The reasons I keep in the loop with it are so I'm not a social outcast in the staffroom and to make sense of the wonderful Bitch Factor blog.
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After Melanie went I didn't really have any interest left so I've just watched bits of the main show and sometimes the results show, I haven't watched a full saturday episode since week 2. Don't know if I'm gonna watch next year...
  • joaniponijoaniponi Posts: 4,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped watching in week 5 I think. I was tired of all the (imo) brilliant women leaving, leaving crappy male singers (bar James and Jamene - they are male but not crappy but it was not enough to keep me watching). When I heard Ella left, I was glad I had stopped!
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didnt see it at all last weekend as I was busy. I had it recorded but didnt bother watching it. Not now Rylans gone...I doubt Ill watch the saturday shows as I work so If I see Sundays I see it, Im not to bothered.....I miss Rylan
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    I have stopped watching since weeks ago. This year is just so boring.
  • STEPHENFOX20STEPHENFOX20 Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching after ELLA got voted off. I wont watch it again unless Cheryl comes back!!! I want the judges back as Louis, Dannii, Simon and Cheryl!!
  • Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 4 weeks ago. Can't remember who was out that week. Even though I V+ it, I just couldn't be bothered with it. I then watched the last few minutes of the Sunday show, but the last week I just checked in here who went.

Stupid choices of who made the lives, stupid crass manipulation to try and get the GBP to vote for the producers choices, bullying of Christopher and the panel clearly under instructions to vote according to the party line to get the producers choice out, or a convenient deadlock.
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I turned off halfway through ABBA/Motown week last week and did not miss it or feel bad when I did

Just could not take any more of their constant nitpicking of Christopher which was totally unfair, despite the fact Rylan was worse by a long way yet again

But will see it through to the dragging end, hopefully Digital Spy's number 1 fan or Chow Mein will win but will laugh my socks off if Baloney wins
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,618
    Forum Member
    I'm wondering if anyone else has stopped watching, if so, when and why?

I stopped a few weeks ago, can't remember the week, but it was the one where Christopher was on first and I was watching 'live', I switched over only intending to miss the first act but when I switched back I'd missed most of Jahmene's song. I'm not a huge Jahmene fan but it was then that it hit me that if an act is so annoying that I actually have to change channel when he's on screen then why am I really watching the show, other than out of habit. So I switched off and I've not even been tempted to switch back. I'm interested to see who gets through, but only to the extent of checking the forums. Reading that Chris is still in has only made me happier I stopped watching.

A lot of people talk about switching off and now that some good acts have been booted leaving the bad joke to spoil the show I'm wondering how many others have actually switched off?

Week one - when it became clear that they had a totally unqualified set of judges and when they sent a good singer home to keep a joke act in. At that point it was obvious that after having found some better singers they were still not going to use them. Add on a public vote that doesn't vote for ability, or females, or market potential, and you end up where they have - with 4 weak finalists and another flop winner.