Location question

brotonsbabybrotonsbaby Posts: 835
Forum Member
✭✭
First post and thread, be kind.

I visited Peak Cavern in Castleton, Derbyshire yesterday. The guide said it was used in the filming of Dr Who, a claim repeated on their website. However, nowhere canI find reference to the actual story shot there. The locations guide I use doesn't mention it. Can any knowledgeable fan help? The guide mentioned Daleks, but this may have been so much flimflam.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• HestiaHestia Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    I'm doing this from memory, rather than looking it up so might be wrong. Looking at the pics it looks like the location for Revenge of the Cybermen (Tom Baker).
  • brotonsbabybrotonsbaby Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may be correct.

However, I thought, and the online location guide confirms, that this was shot at Wookey Hole in Somerset.

Thank you for your interest, though, and for trying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had considered The Mutants, but I understand that was filmed in Chislehurst Caves.

Any other ideas anyone? Or, even better, anyone with definite knowledge?
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I had considered The Mutants, but I understand that was filmed in Chislehurst Caves.

Not sure about the answer to the original question (apologies), but yes to this...I did work experience at the caves not too long ago and found out about Doctor Who having filmed there, which was a pleasant surprise :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Why not go through the list of serials and eliminate the ones which didn't feature caves? Then, check out the remainder.
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.doctorwholocations.net doesn't mention it at all and they are usually accurate on every location.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it's odd isn't it? That was the locations guide I was originally using. I can't believe that the place would be mistaken about something like this, but I find it odd that no-one knows what was filmed there.

Thanks for your contribution.:)
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very because the people who run that site really do their research and actually revisit locations to show what they look like now as well as try and find places using clues in the broadcasts
  • ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,905
    Forum Member
    First post and thread, be kind.

I visited Peak Cavern in Castleton, Derbyshire yesterday. The guide said it was used in the filming of Dr Who, a claim repeated on their website. However, nowhere canI find reference to the actual story shot there. The locations guide I use doesn't mention it. Can any knowledgeable fan help? The guide mentioned Daleks, but this may have been so much flimflam.

Thank you in advance.

Maybe he (and the site) is referencing the 'Stump Hole Cavern' sketch in League of Gentleman ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I emailed the cavern to inquire. They have returned a very nice email saying that it was a Children in Need special filmed there that featured the Daleks, but no famous Dr.
    I dont recall this feature but it solves the problem of why I could find no mention in the locations guide.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about the answer to the original question (apologies), but yes to this...I did work experience at the caves not too long ago and found out about Doctor Who having filmed there, which was a pleasant surprise :)

Love the Chislehurst Caves :) :cool:

Well worth visiting :)
  • mikehall314mikehall314 Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Old thread! But--it was film inserts for the "Trial of Davros" fan stage production which were shot there in 2004. It wasn't for the series proper, though it was in support of Children in Need.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aaahh! Fantastic. Thank you very much.