Royal Cousins At War BBC 2

13»

Comments

• Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was well-written and Tamsin Grieg has a lovely speaking voice

She does, doesn't she? I thought for a bit that it was Samantha Bond, but it's a warmer voice. Excellent narrator, and the narration can make or mar a documentary.
  • Options
    teacup333teacup333 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    They got what they deserved at the hands of the Bolsheviks.

Apparently Lenin was furious that they had been executed
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They got what they deserved at the hands of the Bolsheviks.

really? so innocent children deserved to be lined up and gunned down the youngest of which was just 13, they didn't have a choice which family they were born into
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    teacup333 wrote: »
    Apparently Lenin was furious that they had been executed

Murdered is a better description.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Only seen part one of this so far but it's a fantastic documentary. Really informative and well-written without any irritating gimmicks. Can't wait to see the next episode.
  • Options
    bebecatbebecat Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I find it unbelievable that Victoria, Albert and their private advisors could have really believed that Prussia was the least interested in a liberal democracy led by Fritz and Vicki...so naive and foolish. Prussia was about nothing but world dominance and war-mongerimg, as was Germany until they were finally silenced after WWII.

I also hate how Victoria and Vicki constantly wrote off Willy's bad behavior, insisting his heart was in the right place and that he was just "silly" but not dangerous. I often wish Queen Victoria had lived to see what Germany became, and how well those marriages to those many lowly German/Prussian princes really worked out, politically and otherwise, in the end. One granddaughter could barely wait until QV finally died in order to rush for a divorce from the apparently bisexual Duke she was forced to marry.

One thing that still burns me, lol, is how the ex-Kaiser was allowed to live in such luxury and comfort, complete with servants after he was forced to abdicate and run for protection from the Dutch. I wish he had been tried and executed instead. (And I am not even British).

I have read dozens of books on the family of QV, the grandchildren, children, Albert, etc, right now reading bio on Vicki, QV's eldest, but I still found much of interest and some new things, such as the footage from the Danish vacations and more. Very well done.
  • Options
    radiogaga80radiogaga80 Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    bebecat wrote: »
    I find it unbelievable that Victoria, Albert and their private advisors could have really believed that Prussia was the least interested in a liberal democracy led by Fritz and Vicki...so naive and foolish. Prussia was about nothing but world dominance and war-mongerimg, as was Germany until they were finally silenced after WWII.

Hindsight is such a wonderful thing...
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George V's appalling decision to refuse the Romanovs sanctuary doesn't surprise me, his reputation as a cold fish and intellectual pigmy is well known, , what does surprise is Lloyd George and the UK Government impotently agreeing and going along with his wishes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hindsight is such a wonderful thing...

Well really Prussians were known for being a military society for generations at the time...hindsight would not be the issue. V&A were egotistic, IMO, in thinking their ideas would change the mentality of a society.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,626
    Forum Member

I also hate how Victoria and Vicki constantly wrote off Willy's bad behavior, insisting his heart was in the right place and that he was just "silly" but not dangerous. I often wish Queen Victoria had lived to see what Germany became, and how well those marriages to those many lowly German/Prussian princes really worked out, politically and otherwise, in the end. One granddaughter could barely wait until QV finally died in order to rush for a divorce from the apparently bisexual Duke she was forced to marry.

One thing that still burns me, lol, is how the ex-Kaiser was allowed to live in such luxury and comfort, complete with servants after he was forced to abdicate and run for protection from the Dutch. I wish he had been tried and executed instead. (And I am not even British).

I have read dozens of books on the family of QV, the grandchildren, children, Albert, etc, right now reading bio on Vicki, QV's eldest, but I still found much of interest and some new things, such as the footage from the Danish vacations and more. Very well done.

'Queen Victoria's Children' by Daphne Bennett is a good read. Must get it out and read it again.
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicholas II brought about his own destruction. If he and his wife hadn't been so stuck in their god-given, autocratic, supremacist ways, their children wouldn't have been brutally shot and stabbed to death. I find it hard to have much sympathy for either him or Alix to be honest.
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The three cousins look so alike. Especially George and Nicholas.

Their similar appearance must have come from the Danish side of the family, as King Constantine I, looked very similar to George and Nicholas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    daisydee wrote: »
    'Queen Victoria's Children' by Daphne Bennett is a good read. Must get it out and read it again.

Yes, I re-read that recently, as well as "Qv's Grandchildren". Also the new bio on Edward VII. I read them all. Am fascinated by this family,even though I find QV to have been a monstrous mother. She was a fabulous letter writer though, her letter to Vicki in Germany, and later to granddaughter Victoria of Hesse, are not to be missed...separate books available for both. She wrote what she felt and what she often felt was how it was such a pity that so many of her children were so ugly and stupid.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Yes, I re-read that recently, as well as "Qv's Grandchildren". Also the new bio on Edward VII. I read them all. Am fascinated by this family,even though I find QV to have been a monstrous mother. She was a fabulous letter writer though, her letter to Vicki in Germany, and later to granddaughter Victoria of Hesse, are not to be missed...separate books available for both. She wrote what she felt and what she often felt was how it was such a pity that so many of her children were so ugly and stupid.

This is what comes of marrying your cousin you silly mare.

Having said that, the House of Hanover were amateurs compared to the House of Habsburg:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_II_of_Spain