Hairstyles for older women

abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Would a spiral perm on an older woman (mid-50s) look like mutton dressed as lamb, do you think? We've all seen older woman who look like young women from the back, with their long straight blonde hair and skinny jeans, and when they turn round, the hair and outfit somehow emphasise their age.

Opinions?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd, slightly dated choice of hairstyle unless your hair is naturally that curly...
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend has just had a spiral perm and looks great ...
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would a spiral perm on an older woman (mid-50s) look like mutton dressed as lamb, do you think? We've all seen older woman who look like young women from the back, with their long straight blonde hair and skinny jeans, and when they turn round, the hair and outfit somehow emphasise their age.

Opinions?

Haven't we just ! They're known as 16 / 60's - 16 from the back, 60 from the front haha !
    As regards the spiral perm, I think it would be a bit wrong for a lady in her mid-50's, but nothing wrong with a light perm to give shoulder length hair a bit of bounce and shape. Poker straight hair is very dated now on any age, so a bit of fullness is better.
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    I know what you mean. I chopped 10 inches off mine and decided to go for something like this http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=messy%20bob%20hairstyles&rs=ac&len=9&term_meta[]=messy|autocomplete|1&term_meta[]=bob|autocomplete|1&term_meta[]=hairstyles|autocomplete|1.

The tighter curl does seem a little dated, but it's a matter of personal preference.
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't we just ! They're known as 16 / 60's - 16 from the back, 60 from the front haha !
    As regards the spiral perm, I think it would be a bit wrong for a lady in her mid-50's, but nothing wrong with a light perm to give shoulder length hair a bit of bounce and shape. Poker straight hair is very dated now on any age, so a bit of fullness is better.

16/60s, oh I love it. My temporary driving instructor was like that and unfortunately the straight blonde hair and boob job made her look older somehow, emphasising the "hag" face instead of working with it as a different look would have.

Anyway - great replies everyone so thank you. I like the idea of a soft perm - saw an older lady with that style; blonde, down to her shoulders and it suited her. I passed another 60s (not 16/60s!) lady in London on Saturday who had bright purple hair and she looked amazing...as did another lady in her 70s with white, permed hair and pink at the front. Just love it!