RATM on the BBC

henderohendero Posts: 11,773
Forum Member
✭✭
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, and maybe it should be in the X factor thread, but

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/dec/17/rage-agains-machine-singer-swears

Hmm, do we think that might have been a good time to go with a seven second delay?

And how cool are RATM, to say a swear word live on BBC radio at 9 o'clock in the morning? I'd better put on my FCUK sweatshirt, and go and buy the single, because that is rebellion in its purest form.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another day, another artist swears on the BBC to get a newspaper headline, here's wednesdays:

George Michael Apologises After Swearing Live On BBC Radio
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    To quote further from the article:
    The band had been asked not to sing the final refrain, "**** you, I won't do what you tell me!" but singer Zack de la Rocha sang it anyway.

"Get rid of it!" Fogarty could be heard shouting in the background. "Sorry, we needed to get rid of that because that suddenly turned into something we weren't expecting," she told listeners. "Well, we were expecting it and we asked them not to do it and they did it anyway."

Actually, if performers cannot be relied upon to behave when live, then all segments should be pre-recorded.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another day, another artist swears on the BBC to get a newspaper headline, here's wednesdays:

So did George Michael state that he swore just to get a headline? No he did not. That little addition to the facts was your opinion nonchalantly dressed up as fact - something that you seen to do all too frequently it would appear.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought Johnny Rotten saying the C word on I'm A Celeb was worse, no-one batted an eyelid really though.

Maybe they should have pre-recorded it, hindsight is a marvellous thing though, hence Shaun Ryder is still banned from being live on C4
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member
    I thought Johnny Rotten saying the C word on I'm A Celeb was worse, no-one batted an eyelid really though.

Nor when Peter Hook said 'F**off' on Soccer Am, a month ago, a live family friendly football show on Sky One/Sky Sport, a show which has had countless incidents of swearing on it over the years.

Strange isn't it, how the media doesn't pick up on that, it would make a nice continuing story to stir up indignation amoungst the easily offended. Soccer Am would keep them all going for years in self righteous mock outrage.

Hendro
    And how cool are RATM, to say a swear word live on BBC radio at 9 o'clock in the morning? I'd better put on my FCUK sweatshirt, and go and buy the single, because that is rebellion in its purest form.

:D:D
    It does have a whiff off Alan Partridge about it doesnt it.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Who was the woman who swore on daytime tv's Loose Women a while back?
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D
    It does have a whiff off Alan Partridge about it doesnt it.

Co-ordinating a grass roots rebellion against media manipulated popular culture, and doing so via Facebook?

I presume the organisers are aware of the irony.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The makers of the programme must have been somewhat naive. I saw the final refrain coming a mile off. Did make me laugh though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who was the woman who swore on daytime tv's Loose Women a while back?

Joan Rivers.

Someone said the C word on This Morning too, can't remember who

Ole Ma Whitehouse will be spinning
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously, what idiot that thought a band called Rage Against The Machine would agree to a state broadcaster's request to change the lyrics of a song which is all about questioning authority? They didn't do it to be 'cool' or to get headlines, they don't need to do any of that. I think they did it to say a big "F*** you" to anyone who thought they would compromise their artistic integrity.
    Forum Member
    Roy Batty wrote: »
    Seriously, what idiot that thought a band called Rage Against The Machine would agree to a state broadcaster's request to change the lyrics of a song which is all about questioning authority? They didn't do it to be 'cool' or to get headlines, they don't need to do any of that. I think they did it to say a big "F*** you" to anyone who thought they would compromise their artistic integrity.

Yeah, appearing on BBC morning radio to promote their fluke 'christmas' hit song.

Artistic integrity would be them not doing any promtion for this at all.

Rage against the machine have become part of the machine.

Ohh that was good, Ahem...thank you:D;)

What next, Johnny Rotton selling butter.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member

Do you only have a problem with people swearing on the BBC by chance?

In fact, why do you only have a problem with the BBC??!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, appearing on BBC morning radio to promote their fluke 'christmas' hit song.

Artistic integrity would be them not doing any promtion for this at all.

Rage against the machine have become part of the machine.

Ohh that was good, Ahem...thank you:D;)

What next, Johnny Rotton selling butter.

If they had changed their lyrics then they could have been accused of selling out. But they didn't. They used the BBC to get their message across and they did it without selling out in the slightest.

But the Johnny Rotten butter adverts do make me cringe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Someone said the C word on This Morning too, can't remember who

Caprice,

It went completely unnoticed by Phil and Fern :eek:
    Forum Member
    Roy Batty
    If they had changed their lyrics then they could have been accused of selling out. But they didn't. They used the BBC to get their message across and they did it without selling out in the slightest.

Theres the rub Roy, RATM do not have to promote this at all, why are they doing a BBC morning radio show? Do you not think they would keep their artistic integrity by not promoting the song. At the end of the day Cowell and RATM are in the same media, to sell records, both might have a different ethos on the world and it's politics but its record sales at the end of the day, its these that pay the bills, hence RATM singed to Sony. (big corporate bad guy) There is only so long RATM can make money from their back catalouge, so why not give themselves a nice little Christmas bonus, good on them I wouldn't begrudge anyone doing this.

But lets not pretend they are still Raging Against the machine, they aren't.

Both RATM and Cowell's acts are on the Sony label I wonder what Sony's stance on all this is, probably happy Christmas.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theres the rub Roy, RATM do not have to promote this at all, why are they doing a BBC morning radio show? Do you not think they would kept their artistic integrity by not promoting the song. At the end of the day Cowell and RATM are in the same media, to sell records, both might have a deferent t ethos on the world but its record sales at the end of the day, there is only so long RATM can make money from their back catalouge, so why not give themselves a nice little Christmas bonus, good on them. But lets not pretend they are still Raging Against the machine, they aren't.

Both RATM and Cowell's acts are on the Sony label i wonder what Sony's stance on all this is, probaly happy Christmas.:D

And of course they had to fly over to the UK (I think) for the performance, as I'm guessing they weren't just coincidentally in town. At least they have that paragon of all that is subversive Paul McCartney backing them to be number 1.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8420325.stm
  • SPniSPni Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    And of course they had to fly over to the UK (I think) for the performance, as I'm guessing they weren't just coincidentally in town. At least they have that paragon of all that is subversive Paul McCartney backing them to be number 1.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8420325.stm

They actually preformed over the line from the states. Coincidentally it's the first Rage Against The Machine performance since 2008.

To be fair the BBC should have known better than to put an anti-censorship band on at 9 in the morning and ask them to censor themselves. They should have pre-recorded. Anyway it was filmed and uploaded to the BBC and then to YouTube by yours truly if you'd like to actually witness the incident. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUGeoJtTnZQ
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nor when Peter Hook said 'F**off' on Soccer Am, a month ago, a live family friendly football show on Sky One/Sky Sport, a show which has had countless incidents of swearing on it over the years.

Planet Rock play the album version of the Pearl Jam song "Jeremy", which contains the line "... seems a harmless little f*ck", at all times of the day and yet no one has complained about that.

I do find the whole thing tedious, though, after all there aren't many people in the English speaking world who haven't used the word after all, at any age!!
    hendero wrote: »
    Co-ordinating a grass roots rebellion against media manipulated popular culture, and doing so via Facebook?

I presume the organisers are aware of the irony.

They are fully aware of it, and the fact that the song is also about non-conformance, however it's up to people as individuals whether they buy the track or not.
    Theres the rub Roy, RATM do not have to promote this at all, why are they doing a BBC morning radio show? Do you not think they would keep their artistic integrity by not promoting the song. At the end of the day Cowell and RATM are in the same media, to sell records, both might have a different ethos on the world and it's politics but its record sales at the end of the day, its these that pay the bills, hence RATM singed to Sony. There is only so long RATM can make money from their back catalouge, so why not give themselves a nice little Christmas bonus, good on them I wouldn't begrudge anyone doing this.

The profits from the RATM single are being donated to charity, so they aren't making a penny out of it.

Of course it will raise their profile and they will get some benefit from sales of their back catalogue, but then that's true of any band that "does a lot of work for charity, but doesn't really like to talk about it", as Smashy used to say... ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theres the rub Roy, RATM do not have to promote this at all, why are they doing a BBC morning radio show? Do you not think they would keep their artistic integrity by not promoting the song. At the end of the day Cowell and RATM are in the same media, to sell records, both might have a different ethos on the world and it's politics but its record sales at the end of the day, its these that pay the bills, hence RATM singed to Sony. (big corporate bad guy) There is only so long RATM can make money from their back catalouge, so why not give themselves a nice little Christmas bonus, good on them I wouldn't begrudge anyone doing this.

Both RATM and Cowell's acts are on the Sony label I wonder what Sony's stance on all this is, probably happy Christmas.:D

I wouldn't begrudge a band like RATM using the BBC to promote their music. They'd be stupid not to, really. Although I do appreciate the irony of a 'stick it to the man' band signing with a corporate label. Like you say, it's all good as far as Sony is concerned.
  • SPniSPni Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roy Batty wrote: »
    I wouldn't begrudge a band like RATM using the BBC to promote their music. They'd be stupid not to, really. Although I do appreciate the irony of a 'stick it to the man' band signing with a corporate label. Like you say, it's all good as far as Sony is concerned.

Sometimes you've got to use the official channels and 'The Man' to get your message through. ;)
  • LawrenceteroLawrencetero Posts: 3,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

simple, sony need to keep SC on side in the long term RATM are a blip on their radar, RATM campaign will fail simple as that, made me laugh the flack the bbc are getting for promoting RATM!
    Forum Member
    Glawster
    The profits from the RATM single are being donated to charity, so they aren't making a penny out of it.

I did know about the charity angle and good on them, Tom morello has said that his money will go to a UK charity (sorry cant remember of it top of my head)

It wouldn't bother me if it wasn't going to charity. But I'm unsure if it is the entire band, what about the publishing rights, Sony's share of the money and so on? as the band get a fraction of the actual income from a single. So whilst it may be fine the real winners here will be Sony. I'm not sure if Sony are giving away their profit from this, I'm more than happy to be corrected if they are. So To Rage Against the machine comes with a little bit of cap doffing to the big boys with the money and contracts. Not a slight on RATM but, well, all know thats life! regardless of how rebellious one might think they are.:D for all the trying someone still has to report back to the man with the contract.:)

Of course it will raise their profile and they will get some benefit from sales of their back catalogue, but then that's true of any band that "does a lot of work for charity, but doesn't really like to talk about it", as Smashy used to say... ;)

Exactly right, it's all sales at the end of the day regardless how it is done, what artistic integrity a band might or might not have, no sales no deal, no chance of a new album and so on. Although in these days of the Internet that rule is quickly disappearing, I'm not sure if it is for the better or worst yet personally, maybe a bit of both.

I am actual a fan of RATM by the way, not a die hard, but a fan. Although Killing In The Name happens to be one of my least faves, typical isn't it.:D
    Forum Member
    simple, sony need to keep SC on side in the long term RATM are a blip on their radar

far from it imo, both are signed to Sony, I dare say Sony execs are loving this, far from thinking that RATM are a blip on their radar. I think Sony will do handsomely from this. Thats the way of the world, thats the music business, that how it makes money sometimes, it plays the market, a nice little bit of harmless music hype never hurt anyone. :)
  • LawrenceteroLawrencetero Posts: 3,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    far from it imo, both are signed to Sony, I dare say Sony execs are loving this, far from thinking that RATM are a blip on their radar. I think Sony will do handsomely from this. Thats the way of the world, thats the music business, that how it makes money sometimes, it plays the market, a nice little bit of harmless music hype never hurt anyone. :)

ok who will sony make more money from RATM or simon cowell - simple maths win
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SPni wrote: »
    They actually preformed over the line from the states. Coincidentally it's the first Rage Against The Machine performance since 2008.

To be fair the BBC should have known better than to put an anti-censorship band on at 9 in the morning and ask them to censor themselves. They should have pre-recorded. Anyway it was filmed and uploaded to the BBC and then to YouTube by yours truly if you'd like to actually witness the incident. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUGeoJtTnZQ

Thanks for the correction and for the link. I thought maybe 1 a.m. in LA might have been past their bedtime.