were BB right to warn Eveander ?

detroit citydetroit city Posts: 3,360
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i mean is there a law against having that opinion and explaining it ?

were BB right to warn Evander ? 37 votes

yes
40% 15 votes
no
59% 22 votes

Comments

• Mattyboii1995Mattyboii1995 Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course they were right to warn Evander.

If it had been a racial slur they would do the same. Anything that could cause offence to viewers or other individuals in the house should be advised against.
  • peterstonepeterstone Posts: 5,160
    Forum Member
    They were wrong
  • CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Seems you're not allowed an opinion whilst you're in the BB house ^_^
  • james2018james2018 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course they were wrong
  • ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit of a strange one this.
    Evander feels his religion says its wrong and he believes what it says.

Who are we to question his faith ?

I just think he was very naive to make his beliefs heard in the BB house.
  • callym1980callym1980 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it was stupid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Uh, he broke the rules. He hasn't been kicking out. He is being payed to be there.
  • sj3000sj3000 Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    I thought it was over the top... as a gay guy myself.

He's allowed his opinions, however outdated and wrong they may be. It wasn't as if he was running around the house shouting derogatory slurs or words.

It's great that Luisa challenged him, and that's more of what's needed IMO...
  • Big_SinkyBig_Sinky Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Evander did nothing wrong ....... worlds gone so wrong
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    Of course they were right to warn Evander.

If it had been a racial slur they would do the same. Anything that could cause offence to viewers or other individuals in the house should be advised against.

which is one of the worst rules ever as its based on "could cause offense" anything then can be warned against
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, totally correct. It's worrying people think it's ok for people to spread these ridiculous views.
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    What nonsense. He expressed an unpopular view but one that is widely held by religious people - Evangelical Christians, Muslims and Orthodox Jews - and which it is not illegal to hold or express. It may offend but so will a lot of things already said and done by others in the house. What has happened to freedom of expression?
  • Mattyboii1995Mattyboii1995 Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DamienS wrote: »
    Yes, totally correct. It's worrying people think it's ok for people to spread these ridiculous views.

I totally agree.
  • Stellen11Stellen11 Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    No its PC nonsense. Do you think if it was amir khan in there and he was saying what islam says about gays that he would have been warned? No way. They set him up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was just a warning.
  • PinkminxyPinkminxy Posts: 3,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In this to PC world we live in, yes they was. Because it seems everyone & their son is offended by everything these days.

However, he was expressing his opinion. It might not be to everyone's taste, but he's not hurting anyone with his opinion.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    Well I suppose he did insist on lecturing Luisa about it even though she gave him a couple of opportunities to stop the conversation.
    So he didn't really allow Luisa to have her opinion either. lol

BB should probably have left it at their conversation though and made a disclaimer at the start of the show that Evander's views are his own and are not associated with CBB in any way.
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member

He is not 'spreading' his views - they are not catching. The best way to combat ridiculous beliefs is reasoned debate and let people decide for themselves not stifling free speech.
  • KittyKreamKittyKream Posts: 4,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh crumbs I have missed this!!
  • TrishFTrishF Posts: 101
    Forum Member

Change the topic to 'black' and now give your answer
  • peterstonepeterstone Posts: 5,160
    Forum Member

I believe his views to be ridiculous but I still think BB were wrong to warn him for his opinions
  • detroit citydetroit city Posts: 3,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stellen11 wrote: »
    No its PC nonsense. Do you think if it was amir khan in there and he was saying what islam says about gays that he would have been warned? No way. They set him up.

that's a good question
  • lightblueslightblues Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridiculous warning
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well yes, they were right. Not in a moral sense - he's entitled to his rather outdated views - but because this is what they have to do now.

In the past they would have argued that Luisa provided context to the discussion and flagged up his controversial views. But when they used that argument in the race row (other housemates expressed their views that Jade was wrong) it didn't satisfy OFCOM. Hence why an apology given by Evander the next day was edited into the show immediately after the incident (because OFCOM require the context to be in the same show).

It's all ridiculous of course - OFCOM are no longer satisfied with two sides of an argument. They now expect the broadcaster to ensure that their audience "know" right from wrong (as determined by OFCOM!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    It isn't a question of "is he allowed beliefs", he said it on national TV and is surely aware that is wrong?