Options

How to set up an Audio Processor

2»

Comments

• Options
    DJPTDJPT Posts: 4,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, thanks for your replies. I think the Optimod I was quoted on was used although it dosen't say what condition it is in on the e-mail, it must be used.

So will the Behringer DSP9024 make my audio the same volume?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    DJPT

What you need is OTSDJ

This plays your audio using a built in audio processor. The sound leaving your sound card is optimised and can be fed direct into your power amp.

And it won't cost you a fortune
  • Options
    RodneyRodney Posts: 4,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I have played with Optimods, Omnia's and software processors, and the best "bang for the buck" is Sound Solution. It's VERY extensive, with 5 band processing ... and is FREE!
  • Options
    BollardBollard Posts: 3,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you need is OTSDJ
    I'm pretty sure OtsDJ only has a single band processor - and from experience, sounds pants.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    :D Cant remember the settings i had mine to, but i know i had it on full 2 second delay and had to monitor audio from amp not broadcast, as trying to mix with a 2 second delay is not gonna happen.

you can get them to sound the nutz, loud and punchy.
    good luck
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    The 9024 "look-ahead" delay is only present if you enable it. When it's switched off, expect about 10-15ms of delay - which is kinda like the baked-bean effect if listening to yourself via headphones...

Not great.
  • Options
    RodneyRodney Posts: 4,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bollard wrote:
    I'm pretty sure OtsDJ only has a single band processor - and from experience, sounds pants.

The OTSJuke processor is very good, but is only a single channel unit. This means that at high compression ratios it will pump quite a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, thanks. So is there an AGC on the market apart from OtsDJ that I can buy which will do what I want (make my files the same volume)?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJPT wrote:
    Ok, thanks. So is there an AGC on the market apart from OtsDJ that I can buy which will do what I want (make my files the same volume)?

Try this one from Alice, if it's a hardware AGC you're after... don't know how effective it is though.

There are probably other software solutions, but I guess the best option would be to use something like cooledit to adjust the levels of the files themselves (note - "normalising" the level won't do it - it's the RMS level you're more interested in).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I currently use Adobe Audition 1.5 on my computer and the normalization function is absolutely terrible, I am really looking to buy hardware AGC.

I did place an order yesterday for a Behringer DSP9024 but apparently it has now been discontinued. I have tried many online retailers who say it is not available anymore. Can anyone suggest a good audio processor which will do what I want with an AGC built in?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    hi

i am also lookin for an audio processer with a built-in agc. would be happy if anyone could suggest any.

thanks
  • Options
    BollardBollard Posts: 3,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJPT wrote:
    I currently use Adobe Audition 1.5 on my computer and the normalization function is absolutely terrible
    The normalise function just maximises the audio! It's not terrible, it's just doing what it should. It doesn't make the quiet bits loud and the loud bits quiet....
    Try the Dynamics Processing section and try the Limit Hard selections.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJPT wrote:
    I currently use Adobe Audition 1.5 on my computer and the normalization function is absolutely terrible

As as just already been said, and as I said in my original post, normalising the audio isn't what you want to do - you need to adjust the RMS level. Normalising simply scales the sample so that it's highest peak is at maximum value, so if you have a loud click at the start, it won't do very much to the rest of the sample, even if it's very quiet.

If you go to Transform -> Amplitude -> Dynamics Processing, and set up a 2 part envelope (three drag points) so that you compress 5.5:1 above 30dB and expand 1.2:1 below 31dB (far left point up a bit to about -90, mid point at about -30 across and -10 down, and right hand point down to about -5), then turn on splines for a smoother curve, and apply that to your (normalised) music, and you'll find it levels things off, and still sounds fairly natural.

Note the compression and expansion ratios... these are the settings that you find yourself playing with on hardware compressors (along, usually, with some time constants, and loads of other features that rarely get used).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll have a play around with the dynamics processing on AA and see what happens. So, can anyone suggest an audio processor with a built in AGC?