Options

Those 10-Way Extension Towers...

I've just been taking a look in the new Argos catalogue and they've got a 10-way extension tower in there for £25. I'm starting to think I might well need one of these soon as the old pc peripherals are starting to take over, but I'm a bit intrigued by the photo - it appears to have telephone sockets in it. Is this possible? Surely the telephone cables have to be connected to the phone sockets in the wall? I would like to say my electrical knowledge knows no bounds but, as this post testifies, sadly that is not the case. If someone could let me know why this is configured in this way, I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Options
    Beavis99Beavis99 Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without looking, I can't tell, but is it a bog standard 10-way extension, or is it a surge protector as well? If its a surge protector, then it probably protects your phone and maybe aerial connections as well.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, yes I should have posted the link. Here it is:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9829646.htm

It is a surge protector, so does this mean the modem can be connected to that, rather than to the wall socket? I feel incredibly stupid asking this question but shy bairns get nowt, as they say! :o:D
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean this beastie?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9829646.htm

You plug a lead from this unit into the phone line then your phone etc. into a socket(s) on the extension tower. This adds protection on the phone line as well as the mains. It is likely to have similar connections for aerial leads as well.

Basically if the phone line or aerial outside the house get zapped by lightening for instance the Surge protection inside the extension tower prevents it turning your phone/Broadband Modem/TV into an expensive pile of molten plastic :D

Though personally I'd go for one of the Belkin units. Cost more and perhaps don't look as good but I wonder just how good a 25 quid unit really is?

Edit must learn to type faster :D Posts crossed in the ether...
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I see. Thought this may have been an alternative to going wireless but.. no. Thanks very much for your help. :)