Options

Sony BDP-S370

I have the above blu-ray player, and have used the BBC iplayer through it with no issues. Tried tonight to use BBC HD via iPlayer. Have a good internet connection, 7Mb DOWN, 1Mb UP. The HD program (Dr who) streamed OK, but quality looked no different to standard definition really. Have SKY HD, and BBC HD looks 'HD' through that, and the blu-ray player plays HD fine. Is this a known thing, or just a bandwidth related issue??

Comments

• Options
    mllfapmllfap Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC1HD is shit at the best of times compared to other HD channels so I'm not surprised an Iplayer download is rubbish too.
    IIRC you are connected to the regular internet version so you will be lucky to get quality of any kind.
    I am on the Virgin service so we get our own separate Iplayer version and the HD shows from the On Demand service are as equally disappointing as BBC1HD when its live
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just randomly bumping because I picked one of these up today for £19.99 :D

(I part exchanged my LG player for it at Cash Converters y'see .. the original price was £49.99)

Seriously loving it so far :)
  • Options
    458driver458driver Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    I've got the S380 (cost about 100 quid from Amazon).

I have the same experience - BBC HD is near enough identical to normal - it's pants!

Brilliant Blu Ray player though! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    only had a brief spin with iplayer as it stands, but i'm lucky with the size of my flat and the positioning of everything because I can hardwire the broadband into the machine with an extra ethernet cable that I have so no faffing about with wireless.

i'm seriously loving muzu tv - takes me back to when I had Virgin's Music on Demand service and how much I used that.

Would have been nice to have Netflix compatibility as i've just started a free trial but it's not the end of the world :)
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Would have been nice to have Netflix compatibility as i've just started a free trial but it's not the end of the world :)

It is compatible, but only if your connected to US Netflix, but to use it you need a US Netflix account.
    Hopefully they will make it available for us UK users soon too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    It is compatible, but only if your connected to US Netflix, but to use it you need a US Netflix account.
    Hopefully they will make it available for us UK users soon too.

Getting a US account shouldn't be too much effort though. I've had a nose through the various menus and there's not much there that would give me any clues as to point it to the US version.

I assume it would be to do with changing the IP address ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in case anyone does read things I just wanted to ask a question - a few times today i've tried to access the online content on the player only to find the internet connection is down.

the router is powered on and properly connected by my PC and there's nothing wrong with the cable.

i've had to reboot the router and, sometimes, unplug and re-plug the ethernet cable into the player to get it back.

has this happened to anyone else with the same model ?

i'll have a google around to see if i can find anything as well but i'd appreciate any clues, thanks :)

*edit*

apparently it does appear to be an "issue"

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/sony-bdp-s370-internet-connection-annoyances
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I assume it would be to do with changing the IP address ?
    Just change the DNS settings. Google UnblockUS for the info you need.
    has this happened to anyone else with the same model ?
    *edit*

apparently it does appear to be an "issue"

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/sony-bdp-s370-internet-connection-annoyances
    Nope never had any problems with mine.
    What you've linked to is not an issue, it's normal behaviour.
    When the player is first turned on and you select the likes of BBCiplayer it checks to see if there are any app updates. If there is, an icon will appear to update the list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the player is first turned on and you select the likes of BBCiplayer it checks to see if there are any app updates. If there is, an icon will appear to update the list.

But it drops the internet connection completely though - you go into the network status and it has "FAIL" by the Internet settings. The only way I can restore that is by rebooting the router. That said, it's been working fine tonight and I must have spent a good hour browsing MuVu as well ..

I might have a look at unblockUS though .. sounds intruiging. Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But it drops the internet connection completely though - you go into the network status and it has "FAIL" by the Internet settings. The only way I can restore that is by rebooting the router. That said, it's been working fine tonight and I must have spent a good hour browsing MuVu as well ..

I might have a look at unblockUS though .. sounds intruiging. Thanks.
    It sounds as if it's having trouble getting info from your router.
    Have you tried to manually setup a network connection?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't, no. it's still working fine at the moment so I wonder if it might have been a blip ?

Just finished playing with UnblockUs and I don't think i'll go ahead with it. I like the idea of Netflix US, and the £8 quid-odd combined fee with UnBlockUS is something I could certainly afford, but I also do want to retain iPlayer for one thing, and also the MuZu channel. The prospect of also maybe getting 4oD and ITV Player somewhere down the line would be more appealing to me than getting Netflix US.

And anyway, with the amount of times i'd use the service, i'd be better off paying £4.99 a month for Lovefilm's streaming service.

Although, knowing me as I do, I may well change my mind :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    but I also do want to retain iPlayer for one thing, and also the MuZu
    That's easy enough to have the best of both worlds, Auto DNS for iPlayer etc and manual DNS for US Netflix.
    It takes about 10 seconds to change between the two settings and you don't need to re-enter the DNS numbers as it saves what you entered.
    Also with a free trial, you've got nothing to lose to give it a whirl :)
  • Options
    vincebenvinceben Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Yes, there definatly was a problem this weekend. I also tried resetting everything etc. A few of the services did work ie. DWTV, ehow and a few more of the less popular. I couldnt access Lovefilm, iplayer, 5 , Sky News, Eurosport etc. All working yesterday. Not problem my side as Netfix via Wii and internet ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's easy enough to have the best of both worlds, Auto DNS for iPlayer etc and manual DNS for US Netflix.

I'm not completely ruling it out. I think it would all depend on how much i'd use the service really. Knowing me as I do, I'd also be that awkward that I wouldn't actually want to manually do anything :)
    vinceben wrote: »
    Yes, there definatly was a problem this weekend

That's interesting to know, cheers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blinkx and Break have been released on Bravia Internet tv, but is anyone else's player not showing Break in the list?
  • Options
    moogheadmooghead Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been watching iplayer via my Sony BluRay player AND TV for ages and have never been able to tell the difference between the SD and HD options...

Probably a good thing rather than a negative though...