Mc afee and AOHell help please

MelodybearMelodybear Posts: 10,835
Forum Member
✭✭
I tried to unistall Mcafee yesterday, but it is still showing in my list of installed items. When I click on it, just an empty box comes up. I was then unable to connect to the internet at all via my wireless connection. I have managed to connect using the old modem, but am unable to connect to many websites. The "data" light on the modem is flashing on and off. I was on the phone to aol for over two hours in total yesterday and got nowhere. Can anyone tell me how to remove mcafee and/or do a system restore? That option has vanished from my list. THere is also a message saying " An error occured creating the aol companion script engine"
I did speak to a computer shop today and they said the best option is to wipe it clean. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Any help would be gratefully received, but could you use very simple language as I am sadly a bit of a technophobe.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melodybear wrote: »
    I tried to unistall Mcafee yesterday, but it is still showing in my list of installed items. When I click on it, just an empty box comes up. I was then unable to connect to the internet at all via my wireless connection. I have managed to connect using the old modem, but am unable to connect to many websites. The "data" light on the modem is flashing on and off. I was on the phone to aol for over two hours in total yesterday and got nowhere. Can anyone tell me how to remove mcafee and/or do a system restore? That option has vanished from my list. THere is also a message saying " An error occured creating the aol companion script engine"
    I did speak to a computer shop today and they said the best option is to wipe it clean. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Any help would be gratefully received, but could you use very simple language as I am sadly a bit of a technophobe.

Start, All Programmes, Accessories, system tools, system restore, then follow instructions
  • MelodybearMelodybear Posts: 10,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    john5197 wrote: »
    Start, All Programmes, Accessories, system tools, system restore, then follow instructions

System restore is just a blank box as well....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    System restore is just a blank box as well....

Sorry, you should have a box which say something like 'restore my computer to an earlier time', with a radio button with a dot in it next to those words, clicking on that opens a calendar, with some date in 'bold' type, these are dates you can restore to,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, you should have a box which say something like 'restore my computer to an earlier time', with a radio button with a dot in it next to those words, clicking on that opens a calendar, with some date in 'bold' type, these are dates you can restore to,

Yes, it was there like that yesterday, but today like the mcafee, the icon is there, but nothing behind it.....Even the search only has dog wagging his tail.....I wondered if there was any other way to retrieve it????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it was there like that yesterday, but today like the mcafee, the icon is there, but nothing behind it.....Even the search only has dog wagging his tail.....I wondered if there was any other way to retrieve it????

Looks like you need a recovery disk to put your PC back to the day you bought it, do you have such a thing?? what make model of PC is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like you need a recovery disk to put your PC back to the day you bought it, do you have such a thing?? what make model of PC is it?

An acer aspire 1642. I think I have got that, but how do I save/back up my emails and favourites etc. I use an external hard drive periodically to back up files etc,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An acer aspire 1642. I think I have got that, but how do I save/back up my emails and favourites etc. I use an external hard drive periodically to back up files etc,

What do you use to send/receive e-mails> please, don't think you can back up your favourites folder, unless someone on here knows differently
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you not done a full system backup to your external hard drive?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That wouldn't include e mails though would it??? I' having difficulty locating the disk..have found printers, my old computer and loads of others......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That wouldn't include e mails though would it??? I' having difficulty locating the disk..have found printers, my old computer and loads of others......

You would know if you had backed up your system, it can take two/three hours to do, and would be a large number of files on your external hard drive
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would know if you had backed up your system, it can take two/three hours to do, and would be a large number of files on your external hard drive

Oh goodness, no! The back ups I have done only take a few minutes!!!! I think my next job is to find that disk! Thank you very much for your advice John
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to ask you to try something else, go to start on the taskbar, select 'run' from the list on the right, when box opens type in box msconfig, when that opens look startup tab on right of tabbed box, open that, and look in it for any references to McaFee, (it may be a long list) if there are untick the box next to it, then shut msconfig down, you will be told to restart your pc, you may get a box appears after restart telling you you have been using the system configurator to alter your PC tick the box bottom left to say don't show this box gain
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going to ask you to try something else, go to start on the taskbar, select 'run' from the list on the right, when box opens type in box msconfig, when that opens look startup tab on right of tabbed box, open that, and look in it for any references to McaFee, (it may be a long list) if there are untick the box next to it, then shut msconfig down, you will be told to restart your pc, you may get a box appears after restart telling you you have been using the system configurator to alter your PC tick the box bottom left to say don't show this box gain

there is on that says "mcagent" Would that be it?
  • winactivewinactive Posts: 2,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Use this then this. Re-install AOL VR.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there is on that says "mcagent" Would that be it?

Yes that would be it :)