Scottish Conservative Party set to disband

12346»

Comments

• Options
    AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    wallster wrote: »
    Oh dear me. The 11th Century...

I live in the present, not the past...;)

A bit of poetic rhetoric but nevertheless a truer representation of the CURRENT political energy and spirit in Scotland than your assertion of navel gazing
  • Options
    cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    wallster wrote: »
    Which is as ridiculous as it is unworkable...
    Except it has worked in the past, it works in Northern Ireland (SDLP/Labour) and it works in Germany (CSU/CDU).
  • Options
    AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    anndra_w wrote: »
    The only certainty for the future is that there is going to be increased devolution for Scotland. A continuing process. It would be reasonable to say that an attachment to the Union is being stuck in the past. The Union was useful during the time of the Empire. It was beneficial once but has become less so in recents years. We don't need it, the question is do we what still want it in this day and age.

We're still waiting for those who are passionate about the union to give us sound positive reasons to stay in the union. All we've heard so far is sabre rattling.

I think Murdo Fraser is right to want a clean slate to be able to address the issue positively without all the hostility of the Conservative political legacy in Scotland. It's worth a try.

I don't think the Tories will vote for change and that opportunity will be lost and they'll look like a very weak and divided party instead.