Using HDR 1000S with Saorview?

I live in Derry/Londonderry and can only access the Londonderry relay transmitter so want to get Freesat and looking at free time HDR 1000. Our TV already picks up Saorview and was told by Humax CS I would need a second dish to get Saorsat in order to record. How can I record the irish channels without getting a second dish? Also when do you think new free time boxes will be out? Much appreciated :)

PS Totally pissed that again L/Derry gets a fraction of Belfast.

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saorsat requires a different lnb to Freesat so you need at least 2 lnb's. To use 2 lnb's the box needs diseqc capability. At the moment diseqc support isn't yet available on the HDR-1000s afaik.
  • calvinhobbescalvinhobbes Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Just called Currys who told me I will be able to record all the channels my tv receives (freeview and saorview) on to the Humax 1000s. Is this true or is it the usual Currys misinformation?
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just called Currys who told me I will be able to record all the channels my tv receives (freeview and saorview) on to the Humax 1000s. Is this true or is it the usual Currys misinformation?

To remind Graham a quote from a post by Barry on myhumax.org
    "Will DiSEqC switches be supported: Yes, during installation of the product it can detect the DiSEqC input required. The HDR-1000S will support DiSEqC 1.0 and 2.0

Will Motorise Systems be supported: Unfortunately not from launch. We are planning to support DiSEqC 1.2 and USALS at a later date."

So it will support two LNB's - but as for Currys statement - I don't know of anyone that has tried - Currys are not known for their freesat expertise.
  • calvinhobbescalvinhobbes Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Thanks. Just spoke to Humax CS who said I could get Saorsat I would need a second dish pointing somewhere else and some sort of splitter. Also said it wouldn't be able to record off the tv my freeview/saorview....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. Just spoke to Humax CS who said I could get Saorsat I would need a second dish pointing somewhere else and some sort of splitter. Also said it wouldn't be able to record off the tv my freeview/saorview....

The diseqc switch is in effect the splitter. Saorsat is Ka band and needs a special lnb. There are some posts about how to use a Ka band lnb with satellite boxes.

http://www.tvtrade.ie/saorsat-ka-band-lnb.html,

Freesat will normally use a KU band universal lnb.

Any DVB-S2 HD satellite receiver can in theory be used to receive Saorsat as the Ka band LNBF converts to a regular IF in the 950 MHz to 2,100 MHz band. If the receiver does not have a setting for the Ka band LNBF Lo, then a "fake" frequency 10.765 vertical rather than the real 20.185 may be entered when using the Inverto LNB with local oscillator of 21.2.[12]

To receive Freesat/Sky or other services alongside Saorsat, a dual- or multi-feed type dish or two dishes are needed with either one or more DiSEqC switches or a multi-switch. On a multi-switch the Saorsat LNB needs to be connected to vertical 0 kHz port only. The other 3 input ports are left unused.

From

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saorsat
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    To remind Graham a quote from a post by Barry on myhumax.org
    "Will DiSEqC switches be supported: Yes, during installation of the product it can detect the DiSEqC input required. The HDR-1000S will support DiSEqC 1.0 and 2.0

Will Motorise Systems be supported: Unfortunately not from launch. We are planning to support DiSEqC 1.2 and USALS at a later date."

So it will support two LNB's - but as for Currys statement - I don't know of anyone that has tried - Currys are not known for their freesat expertise.

Thanks Repassac defective memory.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the bit about the slitter is correct - you must have two cables - one from each of the two LNB's . I don't follow the bit about "record off the tv my freeview/saorview"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You will have to use the HDR-1000s in non-freesat mode. Not really played with this on the new box. Repassac may have dabbled :D. If it's like the Foxsat-hdr using the standard firmware, recording non freesat requires you to start recording manually (no timers) and there's only now/next epg info. .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will have to use the HDR-1000s in non-freesat mode. Not really played with this on the new box. Repassac may have dabbled :D. If it's like the Foxsat-hdr using the standard firmware, recording non freesat requires you to start recording manually (no timers) and there's only now/next epg info. .
    The only thing I have managed to do in non-freesat mode is watch - the Recordings button and the instant record button appear to do nothing. I guess freesat is not very interested in non-freesat. - You retun to freesay via the Home key not via settings
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    The only thing I have managed to do in non-freesat mode is watch - the Recordings button and the instant record button appear to do nothing. I guess freesat is not very interested in non-freesat. - You retun to freesay via the Home key not via settings

So currently that's deffo a no to recording Saorsat (or anything other than Freesat) :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So currently that's deffo a no to recording Saorsat (or anything other than Freesat) :(
    Yes - unless I am overlooking something.
  • zg3409zg3409 Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Have you got the channel TV3 at the moment?

If so there is now a Saorview approved PVR with series link and dual tuners. It needs an aerial connection and needs to pick up RTE from a mast the other side of the border. These masts carry TV3 (some masts in the north transmit RTE but not TV3)

So if you have TV3 I would recommend using Walkers Saorview approved terrestrial PVR for recording the republic's channels.

I have Saorsat but I would not recommend it if you can get Saorview.
  • HertzHertz Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humax Freeview PVRs work pretty well with Saorview.

I've noticed they even seem to support series link now.