2»

Comments

• Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Tis a myth.

Here's some more background.

http://caloriecount.about.com/negative-calories-myth-explained-b349703

However, I have heard that drinking ice-water effectively has negative calories, as the water cools you down slightly, and you have to burn calories to warm yourself up again. However, the source for this that I read did say that the effect is very small.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not ultra low calorie... so forgive me if off topic.

But it's worked for me: as a snack I find a small amount of porridge oats in a small bowl - ramekin size - with a little light soya milk, micronuked for around 40 secs and with a scrap of chili flakes and salt if I'm feeling savoury or a little apple or a tsp of seeds or whatever, more than pulls its weight in keeping hunger at bay.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As you like pickled vegetables, kimchee is another great one. Fermented cabbage, like sauerkraut and it has chilli and garlic in it. It's delicious. Though you do niff a bit when you've eaten it. :D
    And while we're on Korean food, they do another one, with carrots instead of cabbage.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    As you like pickled vegetables, kimchee is another great one. Fermented cabbage, like sauerkraut and it has chilli and garlic in it. It's delicious. Though you do niff a bit when you've eaten it. :D
    And while we're on Korean food, they do another one, with carrots instead of cabbage.

I find sauerkraut very filing, even though it's got practically no calories. Also supposedly rich in various minerals and anti-cancer properties.

I also think having a chilli kick in most things helps as you tend to be satisfied with smaller portions.
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    I bought some ryvita items when I was out. The multigrain ryvita and some other multiseed ryvita product. I've tried the multiseed one which says that it has 40 calories per slice. It is very thin, which helps explain the calories, but it was very nice. It's certainly something that I will continue eating even when the diet is finished.

I also picked up some of those soft puffed rice biscuits that were recommended higher up the thread. They have a name which I've forgotten.

I've got this idea in my head that I could make a homemade spread with olives, gherkins, some chili, and perhaps sweet peppers. But without any of the oil that similar commercial spreads and tapenades have. I wonder how it would turn out.
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewExample wrote: »
    Actually they are in the 99 calories or less range Walkers slapped on the bags. They are much better for you than most cereal bars.
    I don't eat either.
  • Options
    annelieseanneliese Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pickles contain no calories.