Options

Could someone advise me on 'peak' train times?

bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Im going to Bestival this september, and im looking to buy a return train ticket from london. An anytime off peak is 25 quid less than another anytime. My mate says i should just buy the off peak one as peak returns from london are based on the london departure time (which will be off peak). Is that right? Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look at thetrainline.com's train times tool. That will tell you whether or not an off peak ticket is available for your journey.

http://www.thetrainline.com/train-times/off-peak
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And, buying your journey in 2 halves may be even cheaper
  • Options
    Matt_TaylorMatt_Taylor Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Off peak times are determined by the route you are travelling on, to give an accurate answer we need to know the stations you are starting and ending your journey at, and the day of the week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the train line, but travelling at peak times usually means departing or arriving in 'rush hours' (maybe 8-10am and 5-7pm). All depends on the train line though. Just to to trainline.com -you'll see the drop in price per journey at certain times on the timetable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    Whatever you do, don't buy the tickets from thetrainline.com - they charge booking fees and credit card fees which the train company websites don't.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croshtique wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't buy the tickets from thetrainline.com - they charge booking fees and credit card fees which the train company websites don't.

As above, just use trainline.com for times and details of the train operators, to book just go to the train companies website.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always travel to Portsmouth on a train with a ticket bought at megabus website. I usually get tickets for a pound each way although in July and August they'be been six quid each way. Should be back to normal by September I'd guess.