Options

Frances Ha

Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
Forum Member
No-one seen this?

I really enjoyed it. It's clever, well-observed and a nice portrayal of female friendship. Some people seem to have got the impression that it's about effortlessly wealthy New York hipsters living chic urban lives trading smart one-liners but it isn't.

Greta Gerwig is Frances, a 27-year old from Sacramento, living in New York, who wants be a dancer. It doesn't sound like much of a premise but Gerwig turns in a great performance and you can't help liking her. There's a great scene at a dinner party where she earnestly explains what she wants from a relationship and it's beautifully observed. There's also a brilliant sequence where she runs/dances through the streets, accompanied by Bowie's Modern Love. Sounds cheesy as hell, I know but it really works.

Anyone else seen it?

Comments

• Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to see it today. Unfortunately it's a sign of the times that even though our local Vue has 17 screens, Frances Ha was only given a brief run at odd times of day. So I'm going to the local arts centre instead, where it will probably get a full house. Haven't seen Gerwig in many films but liked her a lot in Greenberg.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And now, having seen it...

Gerwig is great, and so is Mickey Sumner as the love (but not lover) of her life, Sophie. It's not as funny as I expected and the Woody Allen stylings (black-and-white photography, quirky music, author's voice as dialogue) are at odds with the hipster atmosphere. But overall it's well-written and acted and worth seeing, and I think the typical over-fifties arts centre audience enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Glad you liked it.

I agree it's not laugh out loud funny but then I don't think it's actually meant to be. There''s too much observation about contemporary life for it to be a comedy. The exchange between Frances and MIckey:

Frances: 'Is he a nice guy?'

Mickey: 'Yeah, I guess - for today' (i.e by today's standards).

Also Frances looking at Mickey's fakebook page and envying her seemingly perfect life in Japan when the reality turns out to be very different.

I'd never heard of Noah Baumbach until I saw Frances Ha and I'll keep an eye out for Greenberg.

Good choice on seeing this at the Arts Centre. Far better to support these venues than the Multiplexes that, as you say, don't care about independent films. I'm guessing that, of the 17 screens, 6 of them were showing the same, noisy CGI cartoon.:cry:
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really really enjoyed Frances Ha, and yes, it's like Woody Allen directing "Girls", though I agree it wasn't as funny as expected...
    I was really glad it had a happy ending - I spent most of the movie expecting something to go horribly wrong (such as the Paris flat she borrowed being burgled or burnt down), and when it didn't, I was really relieved, as I grew to like the character over the running time, and wanted to see here get herself together...