✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    What, hes gay! :eek:

:p

No, he says he's bisexual.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few gay people test the waters by coming out as bi-sexual, that doesn't mean that all bi-sexual people are doing the same.

Also, he might not even identify as bi-sexual, he could be one of those people who don't base romantic love on gender, but focus on the individual, I think they call them pansexual?
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, what a surprise.

I'm waiting for a bear (not in a gay way) to announce where they go poo poo.

However the whole thing is ridiculous. Why is he being congratulated for “coming out”? And why on earth does he feel the need to “come out”? At the end of the day he has not changed and is still Tom Daley the 19 year old Olympic diver.

He’s just not into muff diving that’s all.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    What, hes gay! :eek:

:p

In other breaking news, Bears are revealed to be Catholic, and the Pope has been spotted defecating amongst the trees.

Or something like that! :D

If the rumours that a newspaper was going to "out" him are to be believed, it should serve as a cautionary reminder that the grubby and repulsive denizens of the tabloid press have not and will not change their ways, however much they might wish to convince you otherwise.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people really are bisexual. Why is it to hard for people to accept that?

In my experience the gay community are some of the worst for refusing to accept that bisexual people actually do exist. You'd think that they'd be more tolerant wouldn't you?

Maybe he is gay and he's just experimenting? He's very young remember.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankly.... So what?

At times I really struggle to believe we live in 2013, it is about time we moved on from judging people based on their sexuality. :rolleyes:

More than 50 posts in an hour and a half. I'd say it still matters very much. As something to gossip about at least.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I love that it's considered 'Breaking News' on Sky News!

'Olympic diver Tom Daley has revealed he in a relationship with a man'

It would only be worthy as Breaking News if he was in a relationship with a woman! lol

If anyone has always screamed 'gay' it's Tom.

And in this day and age - who cares?!
    It's a bit sad this sort of thing has to be 'announced'!
  • Lion_60Lion_60 Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Good for him that he do it on his own terms. :)

But of course that should be no news. But I am happy for him.
  • ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do people really believe that sexuality is a complete non-issue, even today? I know first hand that your sexuality, even your perceived sexuality, can still cause very real problems in life. Or more to the point, can be a very real problem for others. This belief that 'oh, it's 2013, no one even cares' simply isn't true. It's as much an emotional minefield as it's ever been, at least for some.

ETA - And just because it may be blindingly obvious someone isn't straight doesn't make coming out any easier, nor less important for the person concerned. People may not be shocked by his coming out, but that doesn't mean he didn't need to do it. He obviously felt it was important, for one reason or another.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Open, honest, obtuse, you name it.

Hold on. are you saying that coming out as straight is not as open and honest or as deserving of congratulations as coming out as gay?
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He doesn't court publicity and sell everything about his private life and its a pity that he would be unable to keep things to himself and his family if that was what he wanted. I hope he has done this on his terms and not because the press has said they have a story and will publish.

He always comes across as a very nice guy. Works hard in training and also got some good exam results, he is a role model to youngsters and I hope he continues to be. Good luck to him and I hope the press leave him alone to get on with things and not make a big deal out of this or anything else in his private life.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Hold on. are you saying that coming out as straight is not as open and honest or as deserving of congratulations as coming out as gay?

Yes, that's what I am saying.
  • Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a lovely guy he is :) I thought he spoke so well in that video.
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Although I did have a suspicion, I expected it to be just speculation (ala Bieber, Harry Styles)
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    More than 50 posts in an hour and a half. I'd say it still matters very much. As something to gossip about at least.

Perhaps they need to find something to fill the emptiness in their lives if they deem this to "matter".....
  • greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    On the radio news I just heard the newsreader mention Daley's quote in which he said he still likes women but that the moment he is dating a man. So I don't think he's fully come out, sort of just a peek out of the closet. ;)

I wonder when/if Cliff Richard will ever do the same? ;)
    flagpole wrote: »
    i'm straight. i'm in a relationship with a girl.

presumably you will now congratulate me on being open and honest.

Well done Flagpole for being so open and honest about your sexuality.lol
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG he's gay ?
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair play to him.

Women nationwide will be crying into their coco pops this morning.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people really are bisexual. Why is it to hard for people to accept that?

In my experience the gay community are some of the worst for refusing to accept that bisexual people actually do exist. You'd think that they'd be more tolerant wouldn't you?

It's shocking isn't it.

It seems a big no, no to question the sexuality of someone who is gay or straight, but if someone is bisexual they are fair game. This needs to stop.

Statements are openly made questioning the sexuality of bisexuals that wouldn't be dreamed of being made about gay folk.
  • dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He comes over really well in that video and im happy for him that he's done it in his own terms. Good on him I say, wish him all the best.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    ChipPaper wrote: »
    Do people really believe that sexuality is a complete non-issue, even today? I know first hand that your sexuality, even your perceived sexuality, can still cause very real problems in life. Or more to the point, can be a very real problem for others. This belief that 'oh, it's 2013, no one even cares' simply isn't true. It's as much an emotional minefield as it's ever been, at least for some.

ETA - And just because it may be blindingly obvious someone isn't straight doesn't make coming out any easier, nor less important for the person concerned. People may not be shocked by his coming out, but that doesn't mean he didn't need to do it. He obviously felt it was important, for one reason or another.

Agree completely with this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come off it, a huge majority of people Toms age come out as bisexual first to soften the blow. I did, all my friends did too.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankly.... So what?

At times I really struggle to believe we live in 2013, it is about time we moved on from judging people based on their sexuality. :rolleyes:

Totally agree I never had understood the fascination
    the media obsession with placing everyone in the public gay straight bi etc.. :yawn:
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Tom crosseyed? In the video he is holding the camera but looks like he is speaking to someone off camera, or he is just very crosseyed.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChipPaper wrote: »

Seeing as we have a situation where all footballers are apparently heterosexual, clearly it isn't.