Sky & Satellite Weekly News Thread, Week #29

Comments

• RobSmithSRobSmithS Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    Yes they are and although the main matches will be probably on BT Sports channels the additional matches which could be on BT Sports red button if they have one then, could keep those additional matches from Sky. I'm not saying they will do that. But they could if they wanted too.
    Ian.

Have you noted that BT Sport began testing a red button service (8 streams) on 12.515 H last Monday, thomo?

Seems so far ahead of Sept 2015 that perhaps (surely?) the innovation of a Match Choice may even come in start of this season (Euro leagues) for some live clashes (or perhaps even the Moto GP extra camera angles).

In effect they would already be set-up to match Sky's coverage of the CL, on the Sky Digital platform, and offer the group stages in full the same way. Also I think there may be an extra charge for those receiving BT Sport for "free" to gain access to the majority of the CL games - described as a "top-up" by John Vetter in the Guardian article last week.
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/18/premier-league-bt-sport-sky-tv-rights
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    21st Century Fox could agree to sell Sky Italia and its 57% stake in Sky Deutschland to BSkyB in the next two weeks. This, reports Reuters, could help it lodge a higher bid for Time Warner.

Just last week, 21st Century Fox confirmed it had made a formal proposal to Time Warner in June to combine the two companies, with reports valuing its bid at $80 billion.

BSKYB CEO Jeremy Darroch is close agreeing a price for the purchase of Fox’s European assets.

Source : http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/category/10/

I guess Sky could then form a new company called say Sky Europe group for example, which in turn would own BSkyB, Sky Italia and Sky Deutschland as sub companies?
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,731
    Forum Member
    BBC Red Button 0 now on 980

BBC Red Button HD now back on 986
  • M60M60 Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    Update

Txp# 76, 12.552 V, 22.000, 2/3:

54101 - Now showing a TruTV launch trailer with programme clips, ads and announcements
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ozsat wrote: »

I was wondering when that would happen and it has coincided with the SD changes to BBC 3, CBBC and BBC BR 301 on freeview.
  • Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just to confirm-

Update

10.773 H, 22.000, 5/6.

"6380" now relabelled as 'BBC RB 0'.
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,926
    Forum Member
    THOMO wrote: »
    Yes they are and although the main matches will be probably on BT Sports channels the additional matches which could be on BT Sports red button if they have one then, could keep those additional matches from Sky. I'm not saying they will do that. But they could if they wanted too.
    Ian.

If you mean not let matches be viewable at all on the Sky platform they could do that but it would probably be commercial suicide at worst, counterproductive at best.

In any event the key question is how much are BT Sport going to charge for anyone to watch their CL coverage when they get it.

And just because BT Sport has apparently deeper pockets when it comes to EPL rights doesn't mean that it would be a sensible move to blow vast sums on getting them just because they could. Shareholder revolt followed by BT Sport heads rolling would likely ensue if they bite off more than they can chew in that direction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    If you mean not let matches be viewable at all on the Sky platform they could do that but it would probably be commercial suicide at worst, counterproductive at best.

In any event the key question is how much are BT Sport going to charge for anyone to watch their CL coverage when they get it.

And just because BT Sport has apparently deeper pockets when it comes to EPL rights doesn't mean that it would be a sensible move to blow vast sums on getting them just because they could. Shareholder revolt followed by BT Sport heads rolling would likely ensue if they bite off more than they can chew in that direction.

Well there is one thing about this I can see where all the money from the high priced phone line rental goes! They subsidise the sport with something we all have to pay if we want a land line or fixed line broadband with any phone or internet provider except Virgin or if you live in Hull!
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bit of shame not to have BBC Red Button HD for the golf last weekend.
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,926
    Forum Member
    Bit of shame not to have BBC Red Button HD for the golf last weekend.

My thoughts exactly. If they'd put the "World" or uninterrupted golf feed on that i'd probably have watched it most of the time in preference to BBC One or Two with their frequent "features" and interviews.

When the 24 Olympics feeds in HD were available in 2012 I watched most coverage on those channels and only occasionally on the primary channels for the same reasons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I guess Sky could then form a new company called say Sky Europe group for example, which in turn would own BSkyB, Sky Italia and Sky Deutschland as sub companies?

This Reuters article here sums up the whole deal/prospect very well.

'Sky Europe' was an airline company back in the early 2000s, that went bankrupt.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    M60 wrote: »
    Update

54101 - Now showing a TruTV launch trailer with programme clips, ads and announcements

Currently showing Bait Car
    Not D.O.G yet
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update

Getting no signal, anything else on this transponder?

EDIT: the FEC is 5/6 not 2/3
  • M60M60 Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    Getting no signal, anything else on this transponder?

EDIT: the FEC is 5/6 not 2/3

Apologies, forgot to amend that, copied it from Jimbo's list for quick posting.

No DOG yet Popeye13, we'll have to wait and see what that looks like but hopefully not one full of text advertising their next upcoming programmes (although think that's what we'll get!).
    Forum Member
    Apologies, forgot to amend that, copied it from Jimbo's list for quick posting.

No DOG yet Popeye13, we'll have to wait and see what that looks like but hopefully not one full of text advertising their next upcoming programmes (although think that's what we'll get!).

Id be surprised if they follow the US way with the text all over the screen.
    For one, its widescreen :D
  • SKYtvFREAKSKYtvFREAK Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    '55213' has now been relabelled as 'EqualWorld' and has been added to channel 652. Channel launches at 12pm!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update

11.307 H, 27.500, 2/3.

'Inspiration' is now back on air.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    ITVBe launches 8th October.
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update

'Inspiration' has been added back to Sky EPG 587.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update

11.343 V, 27.500, 2/3.

"55202" (For ACBN)....Now testing with video & audio.
  • arrasarras Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »
    ITVBe launches 8th October.

Will it be available in HD?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    arras wrote: »
    Will it be available in HD?

Nothing official, but very likely. I think ITV know that launching in SD would be a bad idea, they even launched ITV Encore in HD despite most of the content being upscaled
This discussion has been closed.