Scottish independence: let's have an honest debate (P3)

Comments

• nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    re the 'foreign' angle, I think what the other poster was saying was that the mortgage companies simply need to set up an arm of their company in Scotland and voila, we are no longer 'foreign'......
    But they would be subject to any financial conditions in Scotland. If mortgage capital became more difficult/expensive for the banks to obtain, then mortgages rates would go up. Whatever the situation, Scottish mortgages will have to be given/held by Scottish based legal entities. rUK banks would no longer be able to hold/issue them.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fermyn wrote: »

Absoltuley disgusting- clearly no fans of democracy at all. This is what awaits you in an independent Scotland if you vote Yes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    But they would be subject to any financial conditions in Scotland. If mortgage capital became more difficult/expensive for the banks to obtain, then mortgages rates would go up. Whatever the situation, Scottish mortgages will have to be given/held by Scottish based legal entities. rUK banks would no longer be able to hold/issue them.
    Conversely mortgages maybe cheaper in Scotland.
    Scotland economically is wealthier nation than the UK in GDP per capita terms, and would have a lower percentage of national debt as a percentage of its GDP. How is it not going to be in a better economic situation than rUK.
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    Absoltuley disgusting- clearly no fans of democracy at all. This is what awaits you in an independent Scotland if you vote Yes.
    Or indeed No. There can be nothing as bad as a sore loser.
  • saywhatyouseesaywhatyousee Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »

Thanks for that Nomad...
  • saywhatyouseesaywhatyousee Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I must be a terrible person James because I agreed with every word of that....
    Forum Member
    Scotland economically is wealthier nation than the UK in GDP per capita terms, and would have a lower percentage of national debt as a percentage of its GDP. How is it not going to be in a better economic situation than rUK.
    The question is how much of any GDP goes into savings and then into mortgages? How much of the GDP comes from big businesses eg Oil. How much are individuals taxed, so that have less to save and invest.
  • Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davzer wrote: »
    1) No they won't. Even the No campaign admit Scotland will be in the EU. Especially since the head of the commission says Scotland will be fast tracked.

2) In case you hadn't noticed, there isn't an independent country called Scotland. There is a country called the UK. It is the UK that holds the debt. Scotland is proposing that it will contribute to the paying back of this UK held debt.

3) As for the UK preventing EU trade with Scotland?!!! This has to be one of the most ignorant posts I have come across. Love to see a link that states a unilateral decision by a member country has to be respected by the other 27.

So funny.

But we know you are a joker.

While I agree that Scotland will be in the EU there is no evidence to prove the methodology we will get there by.

Everything else is speculation and the sum of probabilities say that we will not arrive there under the same conditions as we left.

Again, posturing about not shouldering any debt, pouting and sticking your fingers in your ears gets you no closer to a viable economy than we are now. In fact refusing debt will make it far worse than shouldering debt outwith a CU.

Id like to see us go for loans for working capital post Yes afetr just having refused our share of debt. Im sure Davser you will be quite willing to wait to not get paid for a few months until Scottish revenue was set up?

Its one thing to say no debt but its another to put it into practice and Im sure even the most hardcore 'Independence at all Cost' supporter will buckle when they have to start paying the bills.

Im sure you will be cheered on by the UK residents at Wings Over Bath while your carrying out your struggle though;-)
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yet western countries have put troops into another country because people are denied the democratic process. Its been repulsive seeing these banks one of which is nearly 100% owned by the Government coming out and clearly telling people vote anything other than NO and look out.

Shops like Tesco and Morrision's have struck the right balance and stayed well clear of the entire thing. Can we assume these shops banks etc will be so vocal when the UK is voting to leave the EU? why haven't they already spoken out about the Benefits of being within the EU. Sadly that's the new landscape of politics in the UK they only speak out when it suits them.

In the case of RBS If Brown and Darling hadn't stepped in that bank wouldn't even exist now, It lead to the national debt being driven up and 4 years of the Government telling everyone what a bad job Labour done. That bank has been a pain in the arse since Fred the Shred
  • fermynfermyn Posts: 2,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps this is one of the reasons why the companies have been reluctant to speak out before

A bit more from Jim...
    He claimed there is talk of a “boycott” of John Lewis, banks to be split up, and new law to force Ryder Cup sponsor Standard Life to explain to unions its reasons for moving outside Scotland.

He said: “This referendum is about power, and when we get a Yes majority, we will use that power for a day of reckoning with BP and the banks.

“The heads of these companies are rich men, in cahoots with a rich English Tory Prime Minister, to keep Scotland’s poor, poorer through lies and distortions. The power they have now to subvert our democracy will come to an end with a Yes.”

He added: “BP, in an independent Scotland, will need to learn the meaning of nationalisation, in part or in whole, as it has in other countries who have not been as soft as we have forced to be. We will be the masters of the oil fields, not BP or any other of the majors.”

Mr Sillars, whose wife, MSP Margo MacDonald died earlier this year, said that under an independent Scotland, Standard Life would be required by new employment laws to give two years warning of any redundancies - and reveal to the trade unions its financial reasons for relocation to any country outside of Scotland.

“What kind of people do these companies think we are? They will find out,” he added.

My BIBs. But blimey, he's even worse than Salmond. I would suggest you don't give either of them a job in the new Foreign Office :D
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member

The UK is the fifth largest trading nation in the world, and that includes the EU at second, of which we are a part. You will be dependent on what YOU earn, with no subsidies, no internal market with us and no EU membership.

Good luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenzen wrote: »
    At a guess I would say that mortgage rates will increase in an IScotland, until financial uncertainty evens out - that might take years though. A knock on affect of that would probably mean a lot more people renting instead - making it potentially even more difficult for first time buyers. Or would house prices fall I wonder.

iScotland sounds like an Apple product.
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    In the case of RBS If Brown and Darling hadn't stepped in that bank wouldn't even exist now, It lead to the national debt being driven up and 4 years of the Government telling everyone what a bad job Labour done. That bank has been a pain in the arse since Fred the Shred

All Scottish I believe?
  • davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rwould wrote: »
    Salmond, Sturgeon, and Swinney have all stated the opposite.

See:
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/64124bfa-97cb-11e3-8dc3-00144feab7de.html#axzz3D6wfa8uf
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-28943041

No. Because I expect Scotland to vote to stay part of the UK.

Have you even read my earlier posts? This is in the context of Scotland trying to negotiate "no pound no debt". In that situation you will not become a member of the EU as I would anticipate we will block your membership.

rUK won't be blocking anything in terms of EU membership for an independent Scotland.

As for the debt, Scotland will pay its share and Scotland will use the pound.

Trident will probably stay for the remainder of its lifetime as part of the cost of this.

Thats pragmatism and realpolitik in action.

People set out their initial negotiating position then everyone compromises to get a win win.

Does rUK really want to position itself as a churlish, bitter nation that actively looks to to be uncooperative on the world stage to the extent it would do is utmost to disadvantage those who were its citizens days before?

Not. Going. To. Happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    All Scottish I believe?

Darling is English.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also with an asking price that is far above the value? :D ;-)
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    yet western countries have put troops into another country because people are denied the democratic process. Its been repulsive seeing these banks one of which is nearly 100% owned by the Government coming out and clearly telling people vote anything other than NO and look out.

Shops like Tesco and Morrision's have struck the right balance and stayed well clear of the entire thing. Can we assume these shops banks etc will be so vocal when the UK is voting to leave the EU? why haven't they already spoken out about the Benefits of being within the EU. Sadly that's the new landscape of politics in the UK they only speak out when it suits them.

So you think the people should not have the right to what is going to happen?

Why should the Banks and Supermarket's come out with statements saying that it is a real possibility that in the event of a yes vote the way their businesses operate will be different.

This is a consequence of Independence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aidy wrote: »
    BIB - rubbish. It was his own supporters that he brought into the press conference that applauded him not the international press.

Not rubbish. Watch the footage.

Nick ended up looking a bit of a Richard.
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member

Meaning its overpriced, overrated and incompatible with many others? I dont think so :p
  • fermynfermyn Posts: 2,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting comment on another site re. Sillar's threats against BP
    The oil majors just need to sit back, exploit other development fields around the world, wait three decades for iScotland to go well and truly bust and become a vassal state of the EU Then move back in and make profits again.

It's a cash flow thing, the cash can flow from the north sea now or later, plenty of oil reserves to turn on or turn off to maintain a steady cash flow.
  • Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    If we go our seperate ways I am virtually certain that Scotland will have the most minute part of any discussion in rUK regarding an in out EU vote.

It will be what the London media want.

What I meant was though, would seeing a successful independent Scotland make encourage more rUK voters that there would have been if this had not been the case to opt out of EU..
  • tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    Yeah, you believe that.

best let the grown ups do the debating eh.

Especially when the head of the EU says the total opposite.

oh dear, some folk really have no idea when to stop digging.

to apply for membership of the EU a state has to commit to joining the euro when the
    convergence criteria are met.

In order to do so a state must have its own central bank and currency otherwise it cannot commit to joining the euro.

Scotland will have neither. Hence the recent comments by Olli Rehn.

The former EU commissioner for monetary union said it would not be possible for an independent Scotland to join the EU if it used the pound without a formal currency deal or its own central bank.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    The UK is the fifth largest trading nation in the world, and that includes the EU at second, of which we are a part. You will be dependent on what YOU earn, with no subsidies, no internal market with us and no EU membership.

Good luck.
    While I think EU member from day one maybe wishful thinking. EU membership for Scotland is in Scotlands and rUKs and the EUs interest. rUK don't want trade barriers with Scotland.
    Forum Member
    Darling is English.

I thought he might suddenly be. Is Rod Stewart Scottish then?

But this is mere frippery,

Davzer - where is this central bank I asked about? - the thing the EU demands for entry
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    Darling is English.

Born in London, but appears to be thoroughly Scottish in background and education. And represents a Scottish seat of course.