Options

Best PAYG deal for 1GB data?

mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
Forum Member
✭✭
My partner is on giffgaff at the moment, using a £10 goodybag which gives her 500 mins, unlimited txts & 1GB data. She wants to move away from giffgaff because the data is too slow, I was suggesting a sim-only £10pm Three contract but she doesn't want a contract.

She needs at least 1GB of data, the best deal I've been able to find is from T-Mobile, a PAYG addon called "SMART10" which gives 100 mins, 400 txts & 1GB data. Does anyone know of any other networks with PAYG deals like this or is it between Giffgaff and T-Mobile offering 1GB data for £10pm?

Comments

• Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    mupet0000 wrote: »
    My partner is on giffgaff at the moment, using a £10 goodybag which gives her 500 mins, unlimited txts & 1GB data. She wants to move away from giffgaff because the data is too slow, I was suggesting a sim-only £10pm Three contract but she doesn't want a contract.

She needs at least 1GB of data, the best deal I've been able to find is from T-Mobile, a PAYG addon called "SMART10" which gives 100 mins, 400 txts & 1GB data. Does anyone know of any other networks with PAYG deals like this or is it between Giffgaff and T-Mobile offering 1GB data for £10pm?

Three PAYG will do this, just top up £10 and you can use it anyway you need, and no expiry. 1GB of data will use all the £10 up (1p per megabyte), or you can use talk time or minutes.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U just moved my wife from the GiffGaff £10 deal to the 321 payg with Three. It does depend on usage but it works out much better for her. The best way to use the 321 plan is to only top up £5 a time as each top gets 150Mbeki of data.
  • Options
    duffman25duffman25 Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sainsburys mobile 12.50 500mins unlimited texts 1gb data or the 15 one 800mins unlimited texts 2gb data http://www.phoneshopbysainsburys.co.uk/mbs I left giffagff for them faster internet UK callcenter good one and 4g to come soon
  • Options
    Jack_Wilson2Jack_Wilson2 Posts: 2,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    U just moved my wife from the GiffGaff £10 deal to the 321 payg with Three. It does depend on usage but it works out much better for her. The best way to use the 321 plan is to only top up £5 a time as each top gets 150Mbeki of data.

That's a saving of £1.50 worth of data charges :-)
  • Options
    sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Don't three do unlimited data for £15 on payg
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    Virgin Mobile has the best one for my uses, £5 for 1GB of data a month.

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/vm/genericContent.do?contentId=payasyougo.airtime.bundles.shop.sm034
  • Options
    rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My best recommendation for an all-round Call/Text & Data bundle is with Now Mobile (Using the EE network)

Link to Now Mobile Bundles: https://secure.nowpayg.co.uk/nowmobile/bundle_talktext.jsp?_ga=1.231710623.1459428393.1411294808

£10 Bundle gives you - 400 minutes, 1000 texts & 1GB data.
    £15 Bundle gives you - 500 minutes, 1000 texts & truely unlimited data.

-the higher the bundle the more minutes you get + unlimited data.

data speed is not restricted with full access speed.

NOTE: you must maintain a minimum of 50p call credit for the internet to work off a bundle, you do however get 50p free if you top-up online and by card.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rasseru16 wrote: »
    My best recommendation for an all-round Call/Text & Data bundle is with Now Mobile (Using the EE network)

Link to Now Mobile Bundles: https://secure.nowpayg.co.uk/nowmobile/bundle_talktext.jsp?_ga=1.231710623.1459428393.1411294808

NOTE: you must maintain a minimum of 50p call credit for the internet to work off a bundle, you do however get 50p free if you top-up online and by card.

Truly unlimited data has a * next to it, if you read the terms it says that they may cancel your services ...

"(iv) in circumstances where we observe unusual use of your Account or one or more Service (e.g. abnormally high usage patterns) ; "

You'll find this in section 9, so if you have abnormally high usage patterns, they can cancel your services.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Truly unlimited data has a * next to it, if you read the terms it says that they may cancel your services ...

"(iv) in circumstances where we observe unusual use of your Account or one or more Service (e.g. abnormally high usage patterns) ; "

You'll find this in section 9, so if you have abnormally high usage patterns, they can cancel your services.

'truely unlimited data'

It's capped at 1000GB.

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Article,varset_cat=internetapps,varset_subcat=3583,Case=obj(3833)

'•All you can eat data gives you worry free internet use. Even if you used your phone for every minute of every day you could only use, subject to TrafficSense™, around 1000GB each month. We may use this cap to identify inappropriate use of the service, such as commercial use, which isn't permitted under our terms and conditions.'

http://www.three.co.uk/_standalone/Link_Document?content_aid=1400542092272

'There are no hidden ‘fair use
    policies’ but we’ve set a usage
    cap at 1000GB, just to be sure
    no one abuses the service
    . But
    even if you used your phone
    for every minute of every day
    you could only use, subject to
    TrafficSense™, around 1000GB
    each month.'

'but we’ve set a usage cap at 1000GB'

'but we’ve set a usage
    cap at 1000GB, just to be sure
    no one abuses the service.'

That's the funniest thing ever ... So if they use less than 1000GB they're not abusing the service lol...

It's effectively 'Unlimited' but not exactly unlimited in the sense of 999999999GB.

'data speed is not restricted with full access speed'

That's false information to see three's traffic management policy and how traffic sense works ;-

It's also capped to 50Meg.

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Article,varset_cat=signal,varset_subcat=3804,Case=obj(4046))

Traffic Management policy ;-

http://support.three.co.uk/mobiledocs/Support/Signal_and_coverage/our_network/TrafficSense_facts_document.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not once have I or anyone of my friends on Now Mobile been cut off for using "abmormally" high data usage though and thus far I would say it is preety good going considering you have the access to 2G backup too.

Just a recommendation I wanted to throw in :-)
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newda898 wrote: »

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/vm/genericContent.do?contentId=payasyougo.airtime.bundles.shop.sm034

No good for Dongles or MiFis though ?
  • Options
    mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    Three PAYG will do this, just top up £10 and you can use it anyway you need, and no expiry. 1GB of data will use all the £10 up (1p per megabyte), or you can use talk time or minutes.

I knew about that, just never considered it. Was going to go for it, popped the sim in but in her house she's getting only 1 bar of signal upstairs and no signal downstairs despite her area being a Very Good Service indoor 4G/Advanced 3G area. I didn't realise the Three signal in her house was so bad. It's a shame because I think Threes PAYG would have been perfect.
    newda898 wrote: »

T-Mobile also do the same thing here:
    http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/payg/boosters/

But both of their standard rate PAYG calls/texts seem quite expensive.

That website looks terrible, the deal is decent but there's no way I'd trust that company.

Not sure why you are ranting about Three, he's talking about an MVNO called Now who use EE's network, not Three. As for Three, good luck finding another network that will let you use 1000GB a month for under 15 quid.

Anyway, I'm gonna find out how EE's signal is in her house and go from there, otherwise it's gonna have to be Giffgaff as the O2 signal is decent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry little confusion and about MVNO ;-

The policy is a little 'Sceptical'

http://www1.nowpayg.co.uk/pdf/NowMobileTCSupplyServices.pdf

Have you seen this policy ;-

12. Liability
    a) Subject to clause 12(b), if either of us fails to comply
    with these Terms, neither of us shall be responsible for
    any losses that the other suffers as a result, except for
    those losses which we or you could reasonably foresee
    would result from the failure to comply with these
    Terms. Our obligation to pay you damages or losses is
    limited to £500 for a single incident or £1,000 for any
    number of incidents within a 12 calendar month
    period.

Also the acceptable use policy is sceptical ;-

http://www1.nowpayg.co.uk/pdf/WebsiteAcceptableUsePolicy.pdf

it doesn't say exactly how much data is classed as a lot still trying to find the traffic management policy tho!
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best thing about Three (coverage permitted) is that £10 buys you 1.3GB if done in two £5 topics, but better still if you don't use it all then all but the free data carries over indefinitely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry little confusion and about MVNO ;-

The policy is a little 'Sceptical'

Have you seen this policy ;-

12. Liability
    a) Subject to clause 12(b), if either of us fails to comply
    with these Terms, neither of us shall be responsible for
    any losses that the other suffers as a result, except for
    those losses which we or you could reasonably foresee
    would result from the failure to comply with these
    Terms. Our obligation to pay you damages or losses is
    limited to £500 for a single incident or £1,000 for any
    number of incidents within a 12 calendar month
    period.

Also the acceptable use policy is sceptical ;-

http://www1.nowpayg.co.uk/pdf/WebsiteAcceptableUsePolicy.pdf

it doesn't say exactly how much data is classed as a lot still trying to find the traffic management policy tho!

It doesn't so one can assume it is truely unlimited? I have used over 10GB on Now Mobile and not had any problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't so one can assume it is truely unlimited? I have used over 10GB on Now Mobile and not had any problems.

They have to have a traffic policy with unlimited it has to be sustained to some degree they have manage unlimited otherwise people would use thousands of GB and 'hammer the network' causing congestion.

No network is 'Truly Unlimited'

Data fields have to have a value.

The terms and conditions say ;-

'b) We may terminate the Agreement immediately if:
    (i) you break an important term or condition of the
    Agreement, including, but not limited to, an important
    term or condition of the Acceptable Use Policy, which
    we do not think you are able to rectify; (ii) you break
    any other term or condition of the Agreement,
    including, but not limited to, an important term or
    condition of the Acceptable Use Policy, and do not put
    it right within 7 days of being asked to do so;'

'(iv) in circumstances where we observe unusual use of
    your Account or one or more Service (e.g. abnormally
    high usage patterns) ;
    (v) if we have good reason to suspect a breach by you
    of the Acceptable Use Policy;'

The agreement is very vague... Very Vague...

They keep mentioning this 'Acceptable use policy'. I'd contact them and see what the limit is.

I've contacted with the screenshot below and will add to this thread when they get back to me...

http://i.imgur.com/oYwKVM9.png
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If some form of traffic management is implemented to stop everything grinding to a halt, I don't have a problem with that (frustrating as it might be) but when companies can seemingly make up limits and suggest it's an abuse, claiming you exceeded what they deem acceptable, then it's not on.

Unlimited needs to have no limit on how much data you can consume. If you need to download a 2GB file (such as Autocad that I updated today) then you need 2GB. If it slows down part way through, so be it, but I don't want to be stopped - or be suspended completely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    If some form of traffic management is implemented to stop everything grinding to a halt, I don't have a problem with that (frustrating as it might be) but when companies can seemingly make up limits and suggest it's an abuse, claiming you exceeded what they deem acceptable, then it's not on.

Unlimited needs to have no limit on how much data you can consume. If you need to download a 2GB file (such as Autocad that I updated today) then you need 2GB. If it slows down part way through, so be it, but I don't want to be stopped - or be suspended completely.

Traffic Management has to be placed on 'Unlimited' tariffs or else as you said it would ground to a halt no network can operate 'Unlimited' data without some sort of traffic management.

I give up I've tried contacting them through calls each person said 'Information is on our website'

Contacted the social media team http://i.imgur.com/qychFxM.png as you can clearly see that went down well. Just don't want to respond to the question.

I would avoid these personally as someone said the website looks basic and simple as though it has been created via Dreamweaver or something it looks terrible and it's got 26 line breaks in the source code of the website I mean who does that?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add to the comment above since I can't edit it ;-

I got a reply after threatening to go to the ASA to challenge if they can maintain 'Unlimited' data, and ironically they can't give any information about the traffic management and it's not for public knowledge interesting.

I'm gunna see what the ASA say and challenge there 'Unlimited Data' claim and lets be honest the 'Acceptable Use Policy' is not explained in full detail and customers need to be aware of what is classed as 'High or Abnormal Usage'.

http://i.imgur.com/UKrWxjA.png
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I'm going to be accused of being 'pro Three' by some people, but in terms of flexibility the 321 PAYG tariff is ideal.

And one problem I had before was that it wasn't allowed for use in a Mi-Fi or tablet, and while it appears you're still not allowed to use it in a dongle or Mi-Fi (presumably because you can add the £15 AYCE data option), people have been told via Twitter that you CAN use it in a tablet up to and including 7-inches.

Thus, I can now expect it to work without fuss in my Nexus 7 LTE. And when there's no minimum each month (so if I don't use it for weeks, I pay nothing) and if I do go over, it's 1p per MB and not 10p per MB or more as you can be charged elsewhere (assuming there's no automatic or requested hard cap) so no problem. 1GB is £10, but with those split top-ups of £5 a go, you've got that 300MB of free data - which might expire, but lasts for 30 days.

So far on a £5 top-up, I've used just 130MB this month so I've not even started on the actual credit.

The obvious issue is that Three's 4G coverage is still limited, and there's no 2G fallback, although for data I'd frankly rather have no data than try and put up with a ropey GPRS or EDGE connection.

And as for unlimited with Now, at least with Three you know that if you add that £15 AYCE option then you'll be able to do whatever you like (bar tethering). At no point will you be cut off and given some bullcrap about excessive usage that's not in keeping with the spirit of the offering or whatever feeble nonsense you're told.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I'm going to be accused of being 'pro Three' by some people, but in terms of flexibility the 321 PAYG tariff is ideal.

And one problem I had before was that it wasn't allowed for use in a Mi-Fi or tablet, and while it appears you're still not allowed to use it in a dongle or Mi-Fi (presumably because you can add the £15 AYCE data option), people have been told via Twitter that you CAN use it in a tablet up to and including 7-inches.

Thus, I can now expect it to work without fuss in my Nexus 7 LTE. And when there's no minimum each month (so if I don't use it for weeks, I pay nothing) and if I do go over, it's 1p per MB and not 10p per MB or more as you can be charged elsewhere (assuming there's no automatic or requested hard cap) so no problem. 1GB is £10, but with those split top-ups of £5 a go, you've got that 300MB of free data - which might expire, but lasts for 30 days.

So far on a £5 top-up, I've used just 130MB this month so I've not even started on the actual credit.

The obvious issue is that Three's 4G coverage is still limited, and there's no 2G fallback, although for data I'd frankly rather have no data than try and put up with a ropey GPRS or EDGE connection.

And as for unlimited with Now, at least with Three you know that if you add that £15 AYCE option then you'll be able to do whatever you like (bar tethering). At no point will you be cut off and given some bullcrap about excessive usage that's not in keeping with the spirit of the offering or whatever feeble nonsense you're told.

@Jonmorris

Couldn't agree with you more Three's 3-2-1 deal with the addon for AYCE is the best any network can offer as AYCE is capped at '1000GB' there's no network that will offer you that amount of data. - Although The One Plan still beats the PAYG deal and all of Three UK's deals to date.

Three UK have said loads of times on the Three UK Facebook page that 'Voice Sims' work in any device which is either 7" or less. They don't want users using it in Dongles Or MiFi devices because you effectively can have a uninterrupted connection. (I.E Landline Substitute).

Three UK have done the best 4G roll-out out of any other provider! As the saying goes 'Three do a lot with little' they created the best 3G network, although they can't exactly create the best 4G network as EE have all the spectrum and vodafone have a chunk of the good stuff, but no doubt they will do what they can with what they have. They still have a 'Backhaul' with Orange although as you probably know it's strictly for calls and texts and data is not aloud, unlike the previous O2 backhaul of Three UK before they changed it to Orange in 2006. Three UK also have a extra technology on there masts to reduce ping, which comes in very handy after all you can create the best network without aiming for the top speeds.

Nothing can beat Three UK's unlimited data (Yes it's not unlimited in a sense of 999999999999GB) but if you're challenging that's not enough you have to ask yourself 'Would any other network let me use 1000GB'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm perfectly happy with Three, and in most of the places I go I have 4G. Being just north of London, virtually all my travel into London is 4G, most of London itself is 4G and places east and west of home are 4G!

But, EE's 4G service - especially when in a double speed area and where there's no congestion (which seems to be becoming an issue for EE of late in some places) is unbeatable. 80/50Mbps suddenly makes Three's 4G service seem slow!

Of course it isn't slow at all, and far better value for money, but until Three gets more spectrum in the coming years, EE will still be ahead - but you'll pay for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I'm on T-Mobile and get unlimited internet for 6 months for a one-off payment of £20. £40 for a whole year of unlimited internet is the best deal I've come across!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm perfectly happy with Three, and in most of the places I go I have 4G. Being just north of London, virtually all my travel into London is 4G, most of London itself is 4G and places east and west of home are 4G!

But, EE's 4G service - especially when in a double speed area and where there's no congestion (which seems to be becoming an issue for EE of late in some places) is unbeatable. 80/50Mbps suddenly makes Three's 4G service seem slow!

Of course it isn't slow at all, and far better value for money, but until Three gets more spectrum in the coming years, EE will still be ahead - but you'll pay for it.

You have to remember Three UK are NOT aiming for speed they've said this before if they wanted speed they would of got more spectrum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to remember Three UK are NOT aiming for speed they've said this before if they wanted speed they would of got more spectrum.

Well, I'm sure in that regard they're doing an Apple and saying whatever suits them at the time. When they get more spectrum, especially if they bid for the next lot, I am sure they'll change their story! Three has historically competed by having fast speeds.

But, speeds of 15-30Mbps are more than fine for me. It's the increased upload speed that really helps me, whether backing up photos to Dropbox or uploading video to YouTube.