Options

trivial things that annoy you about football

Comments

• Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    God forbid he didn't leave a CL away game early to catch a flight home :eek: :p

Surely you wouldn't book a flight that left so shortly after a game though, would you?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    mattlamb wrote: »
    Surely you wouldn't book a flight that left so shortly after a game though, would you?
    Well it didn't really happen so I could make up situation to fit.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being told I had to bin my sealed bottle of pop before I would be allowed into the Etihad tonight and being charged £2.80 for the same thing once in pissed me off.
  • Options
    JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    Shambolic scenes at the away end at the Etihad tonight

Have they never seen a proper away crowd before?

Bit tinpot
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way hitting the post or the crossbar is praised and replayed as though you get half a goal, doesn't matter if you hit the post or the corner flag it is still a miss
  • Options
    PhoebicaPhoebica Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    The way hitting the post or the crossbar is praised and replayed as though you get half a goal, doesn't matter if you hit the post or the corner flag it is still a miss

Yes, and then the commentator will say "You won't see a better strike" or "He couldn't have hit that any better" Yes he could have, he could have scored!

There aren't many things that annoy me about football. It's mainly certain people - e.g. Paul Scholes. It's as if he has had his mouth zipped up all his life, and now someone has unzipped it he won't stop talking!

Oh and international weeks - there is another of those in 2 weeks >:(
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure anyone can see why a shot hitting the post is more exciting and replayable than one scuffed out for a goal kick.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Armchair fans who jump on a bandwagon with a opinion that they have heard somebody else say.
    I hate how they slag players like Henderson, Rooney, Carrick, Glen Johnson, Terry. The usual suspects that get abuse.
    They have never seen them play live in the flesh, they never attempt to get to a game. I know its hard getting tickets and they're expensive but theres just no effort at all to go see a game. Happy to sit at home or in the pub spouting rubbish comments.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    You two are obviously in the 'Alan's always wrong' crew on DS - which really make it not a pleasant place to be - no of course I did not ask why he was leaving - why would I? - he went the other way to me so did not have to push past me. But even if he went past me you would not say 'Excuse me sir why are you leaving now?' would you? What about when he left just before half time too? - did he have a train to catch then. Lol. And he spoke with a broad Scouse accent and so was probably local. And btw I am not local to Liverpool myself and did not get home till very late last night (early morning actually) but stayed to the end - as most true fans would.

Bit defensive aren't you?

Of course if he spoke with a broad Scouse accent he must live in Liverpool as you instantly lose your accent once you move.

Also, while I wouldn't leave 2 minutes before a shootout, when i had a season ticket the difference between me leaving a minute early and leaving on time meant getting home about 45 minutes later so I used to leave early.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Getting rid of managers that overachieve in the time scale set by clubs to get promoted etc end up sacked within months because they haven’t had the resources or players to keep up with the quick transition period that playing in the top flight might take out of you. Take Burnley for instance. I fear for Sean Dyche. No doubt the fans there will soon tire of the 0-0’s, in the belief they have the god given right to be a free-scoring Premier League side.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luton Town - why did they change their shirts from white to orange during their spell in the Conference?
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phoebica wrote: »
    Yes, and then the commentator will say "You won't see a better strike" or "He couldn't have hit that any better" Yes he could have, he could have scored!

There aren't many things that annoy me about football. It's mainly certain people - e.g. Paul Scholes. It's as if he has had his mouth zipped up all his life, and now someone has unzipped it he won't stop talking!

Oh and international weeks - there is another of those in 2 weeks >:(

"He hit it too well" is something they quite often say in that situation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reporters, when talking about who is playing who, saying Arsenal "entertain" Spurs, or Liverpool "welcome" Everton (to use this weekends fixtures as an example). It makes it sound all really cuddly and friendly, as if they're going to make them a cup of tea and everything. I would have thought a home team would want to make it as uncomfortable and unwelcoming as possible for the visitors.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are a lot of terms used by journos, which they probably have no idea themselves what it means:

"Enter the Fray" is always one used every Saturday. The 'Fray'?

No quarter, asked or given,
    A shot in anger.
  • Options
    rocking_chairrocking_chair Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    Luton Town - why did they change their shirts from white to orange during their spell in the Conference?

Easyjet started Sponsoring us, we had a vote at the end of last season on wearing either white or orange at home and orange won (I voted white)
  • Options
    Slainte MhathSlainte Mhath Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    1 ) Commentators who constantly confuse technique with skill.

You could teach a distinctly poor player precisely the technique needed to hit a ball dropping over their shoulder (for example) and even if they precisely produced the correct technique they would still **** it up 10 times out of 10 due to not having the foot-eye coordination and timing to hit the ball properly. Yet when a top class player pulls a difficult skill off with aplomb they'll start talking in terms of it being great technique.

2) Chris Waddle's commentary. The way he talks about how others play the game you'd think he'd been Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Pele and Diego Maradona all rolled into one as a player... rather than a man who's best remembered for bad hairdos and skying a penalty kick. It feels like 90% of his sentences start "he should..."
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    The phrase "got his shot away". Gaah. IIRC it was Jonathan Pearce who first started using it regularly, now everyone's at it. Straight out of Cliché Corner, it should be quietly dropped and replaced with the correct getting the shot in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    The phrase "got his shot away". Gaah. IIRC it was Jonathan Pearce who first started using it regularly, now everyone's at it. Straight out of Cliché Corner, it should be quietly dropped and replaced with the correct getting the shot in.

Clive Tyldesley has been using that for years as well.
  • Options
    yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Commentators seem to get the phrase "you couldn't have scripted this!" mixed up with "And it's gone according to the script!". Case in point - Lampard's goal last week. A load of bollocks about how you couldn't have scripted it, when they actually meant the latter. If you were scripting it, you'd have had Lampard scoring. It went according to the script.

Something that's been bothering me all week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Silly gestures from players.

Just seen a clip of the Palace goal at the weekend and the player taking the corner puts the ball down, steps back, puts his hand in the air for a split second and without looking up take the kick.

What was the point in putting his hand up?

Surely it's to indicate to players in the box or a sign for them to put their hands up so he has a reference point to where they are or who wants the ball - not that it would matter as no corner kick is going to be that accurate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The phrase "away goals count double" is irritating because they don't. They're just used as a tie-breaker if the aggregate score is level. If Team A plays Team B at home in the first leg and it's 0-0, and the score in the second leg at Team B's ground is 1-1, it will say "1-1 - Team A go through on away goals". It doesn't display the aggregate score as being 2-1 to Team A.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    The trend for teams to wear their change strip when playing away from home, even when it doesn't clash with the home team's.

And third strips. No one needs a third strip if the previous rule is applied, and change strips are selected with that in mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Comms/Co-comms who can't decide on a player's name pronunciation and pronounce it differently when they are commentating on the same game.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    The trend for teams to wear their change strip when playing away from home, even when it doesn't clash with the home team's.

And third strips. No one needs a third strip if the previous rule is applied, and change strips are selected with that in mind.

This has been mentioned a couple of times, now.

Whilst I agree that it's a little annoying, it's clearly done for financial reasons.

Clubs sign a contract with the manufacturers that dictates how often they have to wear the away/third kit. If normal circumstances (kit clashes) won't allow this, then they have to wear them in other away games, where it isn't really necessary.

Want your club to earn money? Then you have to put up with it.
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 ) Commentators who constantly confuse technique with skill.

You could teach a distinctly poor player precisely the technique needed to hit a ball dropping over their shoulder (for example) and even if they precisely produced the correct technique they would still **** it up 10 times out of 10 due to not having the foot-eye coordination and timing to hit the ball properly. Yet when a top class player pulls a difficult skill off with aplomb they'll start talking in terms of it being great technique.

2) Chris Waddle's commentary. The way he talks about how others play the game you'd think he'd been Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Pele and Diego Maradona all rolled into one as a player... rather than a man who's best remembered for bad hairdos and skying a penalty kick. It feels like 90% of his sentences start "he should..."

Chris Waddle was a very skilful player.
    He may have been famous for skying a penalty in a Wold Cup semi-final shoot-out. However, Roberto Baggio always did a similar thing but he doesn't man he was a bad player, does it?